You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
coletrain_commander

So few North Carolinas

18 comments in this topic

Members
161 posts
1,498 battles

Was watching a flamu vid about how the North Carolina is a terrific BB and realized that I seldom ever see that ship in game (random battles). Plenty of Bismarcks and Tirpitzs,  some Alabamas and a few Richelieus and Monarchs but almost never the NC. I see tons of Colorados and New Mexicos so I know people are playing US BBs.

Do people not play the NC or have I just happened to end up in battles without them?

Edited by coletrain_commander

Supertester, Beta Testers
5,783 posts
8,154 battles

People who have mastered the North Carolina typically will play other ships, as it is one of the first BBs released, and most players who have it also have other ships to grind.

Members
933 posts
4,040 battles

Bismarck and Tirpitz are plentiful right now because one of the missions I think. And yes, people are just grinding other lines.

[STW-N]
Members
3,768 posts
8,540 battles

According to WoWs Numbers, North Carolina is the 3rd most played ship on the NA server, only after Cleveland and New Mexico, with Colorado below it and surprisingly Tirpitz.

It's possibly just a spate of MM that has prevented you from seeing them around so far.

[BLUE_]
Members
467 posts
18,436 battles

There are 11(10) tier VIII BBs released at the moment (Kii, Amagi, North Carolina, Alabama, Alabama ST i only saw her once in the game and most players never saw her, so just ignore, Monarch, Bismarck, Tirpitz, Roma, Richelieu and Gascogne), so you can bet that North Carolina has to share the player attention with all the other same tier BBs, the same is true for the other battlehsips as well. Also there is a mission exclusive for Tirpitz and Bismarck now.

56 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

According to WoWs Numbers, North Carolina is the 3rd most played ship on the NA server, only after Cleveland and New Mexico, with Colorado below it and surprisingly Tirpitz.

It's possibly just a spate of MM that has prevented you from seeing them around so far.

Those are all-time stats, it's better to filter them for the last 1 or 2 weeks or even the last month to give a more precise idea of the popularity of these ships nowadays. Cleveland, NM and Colorado aren't that popular anymore because when they were released the game was almost limited to american and japanese ships. North Carolina is still popular because she is really rewarding to play.

Edited by Cpt_JM_Nascimento

[STW-N]
Members
3,768 posts
8,540 battles
9 minutes ago, Cpt_JM_Nascimento said:

Those are all-time stats, it's better to filter them for the last 1 or 2 weeks or even the last month to give a more precise idea of the popularity of these ships nowadays. Cleveland, NM and Colorado aren't that popular anymore because when they were released the game was almost limited to american and japanese ships. North Carolina is still popular because she is really rewarding to play

Well, according to WG's ranking of the most popular ships, it seems first is Bismarck, then Gneisenau, and then North Carolina.

With regards to Bismarck, I'd imagine the campaign from last year had something to do with the influx of those ships, especially those with yellow perma-camos (I should know, considering my second highest tier German ship is a Bayern and a Gaede). North Carolina is a breath of fresh air for those that crawled—both literally and grind-wise—through the USN standards.

Not sure about Gneisenau though, I only assume it's because she and Scharnhorst are the best tier 7 BBs, with Scharnhorst losing because she's a premium.

• Cool 1

[ONE]
Members
321 posts
19,532 battles

Having both the North Carolina and the Alabama, the Alabama always seems to be the one of choice for me.   The NC just really doesn't appeal to me that much other than having to wade through it to reach the next tier.

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

I will admit I hardly play mine but that's because I'm working on other ships, like I'm nearly done the Bismarck grind and barely into my Amagi give

Members
161 posts
1,498 battles
6 hours ago, TitanicMan2 said:

Bismarck and Tirpitz are plentiful right now because one of the missions I think. And yes, people are just grinding other lines.

Makes sense

50 minutes ago, Ganbaruzoi_ said:

No idea what you're talking about, I see at least 2 NCs every match.

Seems you're seeing all the ones I'm not :)

[UN1]
Members
929 posts
3,160 battles

I think if we saw more CVs at the higher tiers too, we might see a few more North Carolinas. 

[DFEND]
[DFEND]
Beta Testers
71 posts
8,135 battles
13 hours ago, 6thGuards said:

Having both the North Carolina and the Alabama, the Alabama always seems to be the one of choice for me.   The NC just really doesn't appeal to me that much other than having to wade through it to reach the next tier.

I traded my NCal off when I finished my research, because the Alabama is just a better version of the ship and I had it. And when I finish my Iowa, I'll get rid of it because my Missouri is a better version of it.

If I have the choice between 2 of the same ship type for a nation at a specific tier, I tend to favor keeping the one I either have perm camos for, or the ones that I just enjoy more.

[BLUE_]
Members
467 posts
18,436 battles
On 30/05/2018 at 8:32 AM, Ranari said:

I think if we saw more CVs at the higher tiers too, we might see a few more North Carolinas. 

Because there was a mission for Bismarck and Tirpitz. So, almost all of the CVs were armed with AP bombs.

[C-1]
Members
438 posts
8,687 battles

I've recently managed to purchase the Iowa. Thanks in large part to the new split and the silver that came with it. Don't you worry, my North Carolina is a permanent addition to my fleet and will remain so. I've simply got a lot more to do now with the new ones.

I typically bring it out when I want to up my odds of winning to go up or when I need to complete a mission with a tier 8... Winning a match, citadel'ling something, and killing something is what I do in it; if I need to collect flags or secondary hits, or fires, that goes to the Bismarck... fires usually better with my Russian or Japanese flamethrowers.

But now that I have the Iowa, it may get a bit more down time.

Members
227 posts
10,026 battles

I do play mine often because of a personal connection to the ship, but I take out my Missouri and Alabama more frequently because of the game economy advantages that come with premiums. 

[WOLFC]
Beta Testers
49 posts
7,670 battles

NC is my main, even though I also have Montana, GK and Yamato. I'm just shy of 1,500 battles with her. I usually see a lot of other NC's when I play her. The only negative is that 2/3rds of the time you will be thrown in a Tier X battle.

[BSL]
Members
1,063 posts
18,925 battles

I almost never play T8 BBs because they get uptiered too often.  If you got T10, you tend to play T10.  T10 BBs (all of them) are better than T8.

[PVE]
Members
968 posts
7,825 battles

I sold mine because I have Alabama. I enjoyed NC but not enough to grow a new commander for her (moved the commander to Iowa). I don't play the Alabama much because of T8 MM. If I am going to see so many T9s and T10s, I might as well be in one myself.