Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Target Acquisition System Mod 1--mechanics and value

11 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
4,746 posts
14,470 battles

I've always skipped over the TASM1 mod to grab the Concealment or possibly Rudder mod. Having a 3K assured spotting distance and seeing torps a bit earlier seemed pale in comparison. On another thread, another poster was adamant that it also allows you to spot other ships 20% sooner than their concealment would indicate. If this is the way the mod works, it would make it a much more valuable choice that might easily compete with the other choices. It would take away the stealth torp fire ability from many DDs and allow you to spot stealthy cruisers before they can pop radar.

Anyone know the exact formula used to calculate spotting? (concealment x 1.2?)

Does it increase visibility in cyclones?

Edited by Sabot_100

[WORX]
Members
9,076 posts
17,233 battles
13 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Does it increase visibility in cyclones?

Cyclones reduce view range for all ships on the map. At full effect the detection range is limited to 8 km. Radar increases detection range (to the same value as radar range) for its duration during cyclones but only for the ship using radar.

13 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I've always skipped over the TASM1 mod to grab the Concealment or possibly Rudder mod. Having a 3K assured spotting distance and seeing torps a bit earlier seemed pale in comparison. On another thread, TL_Warlord_Roff mentioned that it also allows you to spot other ships 20% sooner than their concealment would indicate. If this is the way the mod works, it would make it a much more valuable choice that might easily compete with the other choices. It would take away the stealth torp fire ability from many DDs and allow you to spot stealthy cruisers before they can pop radar.

Anyone know the exact formula used to calculate spotting? (concealment x 1.2?)

Can you rephrase this paragraph>? I am trying to comprehend what is it that your trying to achieve but I am not sure what is it that you are asking....

[AOD_D]
Supertester
219 posts
6,482 battles

It does NOT make it so you can see enemy ships 20% sooner. It increases your view range by 20%.

So... if you are in a destroyer for example with 11km range and 14km view range. Then you put this mod on and in a battle a friendly spots something at 15km from you. You will be able to see that target (rendered) and have a filled in red ship on the minimap. If you did not have the mod, then he would only appear as a hollowed red ship icon.

I am unsure if view range is affected in cyclones though.

Hope this helps explain it! 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,511 posts
4,602 battles

Tier VIII+ Equipment (Slot 5)

Icon Equipment Name Cost Description Notes
Wows_icon_modernization_PCM026_LookoutStation_Mod_I.png

Target Acquisition System Modification 1

2000000Credits Increases maximum acquisition range:
  • +50% to range of assured acquisition of enemy ships.
  • +20% to spotting range.
  • +20% to the acquisition range of torpedoes.
Stacks with Vigilance when spotting torpedoes. (+45% with this upgrade)

"The spotting mechanics ignore line-of-sight obstacles — such as islands [or smoke] — when within 2 km (3 km with this upgrade) from an enemy. That's the "assured acquisition" range."  This is also known as Proximity Spotting.

Now, as to the exact definition of "spotting range"?  That's a good question.  I believe it is the same as View Range.  This from the Detection article:

[View Range] is indicated by the outer limit of the grey cone on the player's minimap in battle. [No] ship outside of this range can ... be detected by the player, while any allied ships and spotted enemy ships outside of it will not be drawn on the player's screen but will be displayed on the player's minimap as outlined icons. In general, the taller the ship the higher its view range will be. Therefore battleships tend to have very long view ranges (in excess of 20 km), while destroyers usually have shorter view ranges than other ship classes.

... In most cases, view range has little impact on ship to ship detection, because it is usually far higher than the detectability range of the ships being spotted. The only time view range has any appreciable effect on ship to ship detection is when the spotting ship has a lower view range than the target's detectability range, such as a destroyer attempting to spot certain battleships. In these cases, the target is spotted not at its detectability range but at the moment it enters the view range of the spotting ship.

Accordingly, the value of the upgrade seems situational.  DDs would appreciate the increased View Range, and BBs the increased torp acquisition.  Only close-in fighters would care much about the Proximity Spotting boost.  I find it hard to justify at the cost in Credits and alternative upgrades.

Edited by iDuckman

[CAST]
Members
4,898 posts
3,416 battles

It's such a horrible mod. I mean, in itself, it does offer some advantages such as spotting torpedoes sooner .. but the ship acquisition one is *garbage* since it only matters if you're pushing into smoke. And if you're getting that close to a destroyer with a set of ready torpedoes, you're seconds away from dying if you're in a cruiser or battleship. 3km is absolutely nothing.

The problem is all the other options in that such slot are MUCH better. Concealment is life or death for pretty much every ship in the game, and that 40% rudder shift mod is amazing on french and german cruisers. And Khab for that matter.

TASM1 is badly in need of a buff.

[CVA16]
Members
4,746 posts
14,470 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Accordingly, the value of the upgrade seems situational.  DDs would appreciate the increased View Range, and BBs the increased torp acquisition.  Only close-in fighters would care much about the Proximity Spotting boost.  I find it hard to justify at the cost in Credits and alternative upgrades.

This was my original interpretation of the mod. From the other  threads posters description and comments, I thought I had it wrong all this time.

Edited by Sabot_100

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,241 posts
2 hours ago, EpicLeveler said:

It does NOT make it so you can see enemy ships 20% sooner. It increases your view range by 20%.

So... if you are in a destroyer for example with 11km range and 14km view range. Then you put this mod on and in a battle a friendly spots something at 15km from you. You will be able to see that target (rendered) and have a filled in red ship on the minimap. If you did not have the mod, then he would only appear as a hollowed red ship icon.

I am unsure if view range is affected in cyclones though.

Hope this helps explain it! 

Why would any destroyer take this over Concealment Expert? I mean, maybe Russian cause they're cruisers? It's the only line I don't have T10.

[CVA16]
Members
4,746 posts
14,470 battles
1 hour ago, KaptainKaybe said:

but the ship acquisition one is *garbage* since it only matters if you're pushing into smoke.

Not quite garbage but situational at best. Charging the smoke in a ship without radar or hydro, you would spot him first so would get that first volley off, maybe sink him before he knows you are there and can launch torps. This assumes you are not spotted by anyone else while making the charge. If you are the one hiding in smoke, you get to react first to the guy charging you. You would also be better at spotting through islands. The guy you are spotting would have no clue how he is being spotted. Rare situations. Hydro/radar are much better. The other MOD choices are much better.

[AOD_D]
Supertester
219 posts
6,482 battles
48 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

Why would any destroyer take this over Concealment Expert? I mean, maybe Russian cause they're cruisers? It's the only line I don't have T10.

Short answer: I dont think ANY ship should take it. 

Concealment is probably the most important stat for any ship in this game and not taking it is the differance between being spot and not being spot (basically life and death). Until it gets signifigantly better, it is kind of a waste in my mind.

[CVA16]
Members
4,746 posts
14,470 battles
37 minutes ago, EpicLeveler said:

Short answer: I dont think ANY ship should take it.

Which would beg the question: Why is it even there? Just to fill up the columns so you think you have choices?

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,511 posts
4,602 battles
21 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Why is it even there?

To attract Credits.  I actually bought one to try it out.  Now it sits in Inventory and I'm out 2M Cr.

Sign in to follow this