You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Tactical Tip Tuesday - Smoking Zones

11 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers
1,501 posts
9,095 battles

wisdom_wednesday_052918.png

When is it a good time to pop your smoke?

While smoke is a great tool for concealment and escaping enemy fire, it also is susceptible to hydro-acoustics and, in higher tiered battles, surveillance radar.

Also, smoke gives away your position to the enemy fleet and tends to attract schools of torpedo fish.

When you are in your destroyer or cruiser,  what situations do you use your smokescreen?

"Balk the enemy's power; force them to reveal themselves." - Sun Tzu

#tacticaltiptuesday

#anchorsaweigh

[SVF]
Members
207 posts
13,834 battles

For destroyers more on the torpedo side smoke is used as a tatical retreat or panic button. Oh I have been spotted, pop smoke to break contact.

As gunboats use them offensively to give cover for yourself to open up on the enemy. Though I can't stress enough about not staying still in your smoke cloud.

• Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
9,548 posts
16,311 battles
1 hour ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Also, smoke gives away your position to the enemy fleet and tends to attract schools of torpedo fish.

Smoke and Mirrors,

Which can be used to your advantage, when you want the other team to expend torps and make them think that, that is where you are. Meanwhile you are really covering your team and spotting for them. They still of course should be aware of torps . In a cruiser you use smoke to shoot from so you don't deploy it when torps can reach you or when the enemy will spot you due to firing in smoke. Which is a tactic that the bots use to their advantage, They always charge the smoke so you don't get much time to fire unspotted unless you deploy it at distance.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,031 posts
17,627 battles

Smoke is always a double-edged sword.

• Gift smoke: Used to provide concealment for a larger allied ship that does not have its own smoke. Can be used to enable the ally to fire from safety, or to reposition safely. Very powerful, but requires coordination and trigger discipline on the parts of both players, making it mostly a Clan Battles and division tactic.
    • Gift-to-the-enemy smoke: Used to provide "cover" for an ally, but blocks the friendly team's line-of-sight instead. Bonus points if the ship receiving "cover" remains visible to the enemy anyway.
  • Smoke bunker: Used so a player can fire shells out of it at erratic intervals, dealing damage and baiting inaccurate return fire by deceiving the enemy about their true position as they move around within the smoke cloud.
    • Crutch smoke: Used so a player can lazily spam shells out of it without moving. Usually ends with the player dying to torpedoes or getting dev struck by enemies who target their muzzle flash.
    • Self-defeating smoke: Used so a player can shoot at an enemy ship without receiving return fire, but immediately conceals the enemy ship because the player was the only one spotting them.
  • Disengagement smoke: Used to block pursuers' line of sight while retreating, allowing the player to break contact quickly.
    • Panic farts: Used when a player is caught by surprise and smashes the smoke button in hope it will somehow save them. Of course it doesn't.
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[BLHK]
Members
558 posts

I find some DD drivers will gain the cap, and smoke straight up regardless of the tactical situation. If my team has local superiority (supporting the DD) the last thing I want to see is a cloud of smoke. All it does is take the DDs support units straight out of the fight. 

And attract torpedoes :(

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
12,148 posts
33,707 battles
18 hours ago, Edgecase said:

Smoke is always a double-edged sword.

• Gift smoke: Used to provide concealment for a larger allied ship that does not have its own smoke. Can be used to enable the ally to fire from safety, or to reposition safely. Very powerful, but requires coordination and trigger discipline on the parts of both players, making it mostly a Clan Battles and division tactic.
    • Gift-to-the-enemy smoke: Used to provide "cover" for an ally, but blocks the friendly team's line-of-sight instead. Bonus points if the ship receiving "cover" remains visible to the enemy anyway.
  • Smoke bunker: Used so a player can fire shells out of it at erratic intervals, dealing damage and baiting inaccurate return fire by deceiving the enemy about their true position as they move around within the smoke cloud.
    • Crutch smoke: Used so a player can lazily spam shells out of it without moving. Usually ends with the player dying to torpedoes or getting dev struck by enemies who target their muzzle flash.
    • Self-defeating smoke: Used so a player can shoot at an enemy ship without receiving return fire, but immediately conceals the enemy ship because the player was the only one spotting them.
  • Disengagement smoke: Used to block pursuers' line of sight while retreating, allowing the player to break contact quickly.
    • Panic farts: Used when a player is caught by surprise and smashes the smoke button in hope it will somehow save them. Of course it doesn't.

The Encyclopedia of smoke! Well done. 

• Cool 1

Members
152 posts
8,557 battles

Also don’t forget 

Brain-Fart Smoke:  When, at the spawn/start position, you think you’re in chat, but you’re not and you hit the T key (a friend did this once). Always a confidence-builder

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
968 posts
7,825 battles

Not when lit up by radar :Smile-_tongue:

It depends, for KM DDs I use it for escaping and helping others escape more than anything else since it doesn't last long. In USN DDs I might use it to shoot from, but I don't sit in there long. I prefer to leave before the red torps arrive.

I haven't gotten there in the RN CLs yet but in other CLs I prefer hard cover to smoke.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,686 posts
22,432 battles
11 hours ago, USSCurtis said:

Also don’t forget 

Brain-Fart Smoke:  When, at the spawn/start position, you think you’re in chat, but you’re not and you hit the T key (a friend did this once). Always a confidence-builder

AKA: Premature.Esmokulation.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[90TH]
Members
1,147 posts
10,633 battles

On certain maps, it can be useful to smoke earlyish to cover the transit of your fleet between islands, so they don’t have exposed broadsides before reaching cover. Think east-side Neighbors, or Sea of Fortune anywhere, or going to C cap on Hotspot.

• Cool 1

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,413 posts
11,077 battles

I love using smoke to get the Radar ships to blow their radar early in the match.  Key is to be on the edge of their radar and bail out of range.  I use to be that dd that ran in smoked when spotted.  Now I play it so differently.  I'm spotted.  I'm pretty sure I can get out of there.  I do pay for it on some matches that cruisers and BB can actually shoot.  Using smoke for the unpredictables, if possible.

• Cool 1