Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Master_Helmsman

Anything more lethal than a CV in a battle?

51 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2
[WILCO]
Members
2 posts
3,356 battles

Any other class more lethal than a CV in this game?  Hit multiple targets at once, can virtually wipe out any ship in the game without retaliation. Scouts better than any other class. Has concealment of a destroyer and speed to boot.  Pretty much sums it up as the most lethal class in the game in my opinion, anyone think differently?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
8,024 battles
9 minutes ago, Fused_Muffler said:

Any other class more lethal than a CV in this game?  Hit multiple targets at once, can virtually wipe out any ship in the game without retaliation. Scouts better than any other class. Has concealment of a destroyer and speed to boot.  Pretty much sums it up as the most lethal class in the game in my opinion, anyone think differently?   

A Yamato? An Asashio with idiot BBs to feast on? A CV is a threat but only against individual targets, against a fleet they are severely limited. 

Lethality in this game is relative and situational, some ships are more lethal in some situations then others. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,292
[WOLF3]
Members
24,803 posts
21,855 battles

Good AA.  CV no longer a problem.

LegalParallelJunebug-size_restricted.gif

Played even better, you protect others with said AA.  Even a good AA BB can be the centerpiece of a group of ships, defending them from air attacks.  I've used Lyon, Richelieu, Alabama, AA Gneisenau that way.  The best part of an AA BB?  You cannot be deleted the way an AA Cruiser like Atlanta does.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
759
[HC]
Beta Testers
2,663 posts
12,121 battles
5 minutes ago, Fused_Muffler said:

Any other class more lethal than a CV in this game?  Hit multiple targets at once, can virtually wipe out any ship in the game without retaliation. Scouts better than any other class. Has concealment of a destroyer and speed to boot.  Pretty much sums it up as the most lethal class in the game in my opinion, anyone think differently?   

Depends on how you define lethal. They can one shot almost any ship in the game, but they have the lowest DPM in the game (on a good day, gets 6 shots, usually 5, if someone doesn't shoot down it's aircraft first) Same can be said of destroyers, but they get a quicker reload than a CV's turn around, and bigger torps. Also, it's pretty easy to protect yourself from them, safety in numbers, and hug an AA cruiser. It's also the only ship that can be effectively destroyed without ever seeing it, by running it out of aircraft.

Scouts better than anything else, well, pre-WWII, with the US Navy, that's what CV's were. Fleet scouts, I'd expect they'd be good at it.

Concealment of a destroyer? not hardly. maybe of a good cruiser, speed of a cruiser, not 40+ knot destroyers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,842
[WORX]
Members
9,075 posts
17,223 battles

NOW a CV can chose what type of bombers he wants, HE or AP, THAT is going to be something to watch forward too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
759
[HC]
Beta Testers
2,663 posts
12,121 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

NOW a CV can chose what type of bombers he wants, HE or AP, THAT is going to be something to watch forward too.

Not really, they have to do it before hitting the battle button. it's not like CV's can switch between AP and HE during a match. You bring AP bombs and match maker makes you a top tier in a cruiser heavy game, you just sit there and wonder what you did to deserve this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,292
[WOLF3]
Members
24,803 posts
21,855 battles
7 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

NOW a CV can chose what type of bombers he wants, HE or AP, THAT is going to be something to watch forward too.

The AP bomb capable CVs already had that ability while in port.  No mention of switching in battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,057 posts
6,285 battles

In WW2 the men on those ships feared the Aircraft Carrier. It did everything you said there. So I guess WG got it right. Because those man had to fight them and this is basically a WW1 and WW2 game.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
379
[SEOP]
Members
1,555 posts
8,233 battles
Quote

Anything more lethal than a CV in a battle?

Submarines?...oh wait :Smile_teethhappy:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,842
[WORX]
Members
9,075 posts
17,223 battles
6 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Not really, they have to do it before hitting the battle button. it's not like CV's can switch between AP and HE during a match. You bring AP bombs and match maker makes you a top tier in a cruiser heavy game, you just sit there and wonder what you did to deserve this.

ops looks like I got hit with comprehension, my fault let me clarify... What I meant was in port, you have to option which still a cool option for you guys go take AP or HE bombers to battle. YEs I know in battle you can;t have both but I am guessing you CV drivers would prefer to have both in battle :P. Atleast that is what is stated in the new patch notes, that is what I understood.

Edited by Navalpride33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,140
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,885 posts
13,620 battles

There really isn't anything more lethal than a CV played by a top CV player but on the flip side there really isn't anything more ineffective that a CV played by a less than top CV player. The difference between a top and average CV player is far larger than it is for other ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
314
Beta Testers
820 posts
10,310 battles
26 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Good AA.  CV no longer a problem.

LegalParallelJunebug-size_restricted.gif

Played even better, you protect others with said AA.  Even a good AA BB can be the centerpiece of a group of ships, defending them from air attacks.  I've used Lyon, Richelieu, Alabama, AA Gneisenau that way.  The best part of an AA BB?  You cannot be deleted the way an AA Cruiser like Atlanta does.

This sums it up. CV is the only class that requires 3 ships to counter while it sits safely at anchor in the back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,259
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
1 minute ago, Velled said:

This sums it up. CV is the only class that requires 3 ships to counter while it sits safely at anchor in the back.

On the flip side, CV is the only ship type where what ships you can attack depends on what ships are near it. A yamato doesn't lose its ability to  overmatch the armor a North Carolina because that North Carolina is near another Yamato, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
491
[YAN]
Members
1,700 posts
8,085 battles
48 minutes ago, Fused_Muffler said:

Any other class more lethal than a CV in this game? 

A bigger CV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
650
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles
4 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

A bigger CV.

A bigger CV that moves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,190
[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,955 posts
14,569 battles
14 minutes ago, Velled said:

This sums it up. CV is the only class that requires 3 ships to counter while it sits safely at anchor in the back.

You fight the cv vs the planes not vs the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
379
[SEOP]
Members
1,555 posts
8,233 battles
3 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

A bigger CV that moves

I watch a lot of CV players in game and I'm pretty convinced their W keys are stuck.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
650
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles
17 minutes ago, Velled said:

This sums it up. CV is the only class that requires 3 ships to counter while it sits safely at anchor in the back.

A CV that sits still is as useless as 6 BBs behind a giant island.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
650
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles
Just now, Dr_Dirt said:

I watch a lot of CV players in game and I'm pretty convinced their W keys are stuck.  

Same. I tell them what I have in my topic in my signature. Move fast, recover fast, attack fast, cap. There is nearly no CV Player that will play like me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
575
[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,134 posts
6,555 battles
Just now, Dr_Dirt said:

I watch a lot of CV players in game and I'm pretty convinced their W keys are stuck.  

One of the big differences between a potato CV player and a good one. Good ones move with the fleet, get closer to the action (closer = more attacks), good ones take risks with their ships.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
314
Beta Testers
820 posts
10,310 battles
17 minutes ago, cometguy said:

On the flip side, CV is the only ship type where what ships you can attack depends on what ships are near it. A yamato doesn't lose its ability to  overmatch the armor a North Carolina because that North Carolina is near another Yamato, for example.

That depends on the tier. 8/9/10 have enough planes to not care about losing a few planes when the tradeoff was removing 90% of a bb health pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×