You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Buzzardsluck

Asashio Useless IMO

28 comments in this topic

[NBNG]
Members
403 posts
9,028 battles

IMO....Here is my argument. If I am in a group of ships that spawned with one of these (one) purpose ships in front, I usually hear, I cannot cap and they proceed to the edge. So if they do not sink any BBs they are useless. They cannot cap because they cannot fight it out with and other DD who has the same gun output, but they are minus the torp as a weapon against another DD. What can be the argument for them? Well, their torps are made to go under the DDs and cruisers to kill the BBs. Like we would not want a DD or a cruiser torp kill.  I say if you like using the out for not knife fighting for a cap and sitting out there out of detection torping BBs, why not just go Shim or any other IJN DD who has at lease the ability to kill all ships. I am not looking at this as a BB on an enemy team because I treat all DD the same, they have torps and can kill me with them. I am looking at this as a BB who does not have a DD in front of me who can cap. Give a Benson any day over a Asashio. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
15,614 posts
12,778 battles

That player playing it is useless.

I find Asashio to be perfectly adequate, so long as the team backs me up

• Cool 5

[TBW]
Members
9,540 posts
16,271 battles

I haven't run mine yet, but you can rest assured, that I will use mine to cap and shoot DDs, maybe I'll break her out today.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles

Up to the CO, not the ship. I've failed more than Asashio has failed me.

Edited by Vangm94

Members
107 posts
5,585 battles

There are certain qualities to an Asashio that a Shimakaze doesn't have, namely being tier 8 so it can bully a lot of mid tier ships that don't expect long range torps, having the most devastating damage torpedoes at t8 with great speed and range while also having TRB, and better base reload speed too, which not even the Shim has. And don't forget deep water torps have way lower detection range.

Edited by Ganbaruzoi_

[PVE]
Members
965 posts
7,779 battles

I wouldn't expect an Asashio to knife fight, but with their concealment they can enter a cap and spot it. They can always retreat if the red DDs get too close.

Beta Testers
2,964 posts
24,101 battles

I cap with my Asashio and try to damage their battleships if given the opportunity and spot and smoke for my team and knife fight when I have no choice. And when I'm getting the best  of them in a knife fight you can senses the surprise on the enemy dd like hey you're not suppose to be able to hurt me with those guns of yours  what satisfaction   hehehehehehe

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,835 posts
13,603 battles

The 53.24 WR that WoWS Stats shows says it is far from useless but as for everything YMMV.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,476 posts
17,036 battles

Asashio takes a unique approach.  First off, staying silent is a strategy.  Good BB players know an Asashio is out there.  Once they know where it's located, it makes the enemy's BB job easier. Never underestimate the power of silence!  The proverbial strike "out of the blue" is powerful.  Or, just the threat of such a strike is powerful.

Given the above, I also look to cap depending on the mix.  If my concealment is favorable compared to the enemy DDs, and taking into radar ships, I'll dip into a cap.  Just be ready to unload on the enemy DD once I spot them.

I also don't mind playing spotter in general.  Preventing enemy DDs from penetrating for shots on friendly ships is part of the job.   Shutting off DD approach avenues and looking for BB targets are not mutually exclusive.  I can do both at the same time.

Good enemy DD players also play to support their BBs and CAs.  They know the Asashio approach vectors, and will picket those.  I seldom can make an end run in an Asashio without running up against a DD picket.  But I will try, if the opportunity presents itself.  

[RMRGD]
Members
452 posts
21,497 battles

Obviously you need to use your torps on BBs.   But man you can out-spot almost anything.   the BEST thing to do is NEVER leave your team.  I find that unlike most DDs I do not go alone to caps.  I make sure I have supportive fire.   If you can spot, supporting fire will help a ton.    this combination has lead to great games.    Ash guns are ok but they are still useful.  I consider here one of my fav DDs in the game.    Kidd is still my love. 

Members
4,209 posts
9,647 battles

You can cap but late battle cap-stealing is her forte. The thing to remember about Asashio is that just her presence changes how BBs and CVs operate. She is a very potent threat.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,046 posts
9,180 battles

Have to agree on this one. I hate seeing a Asashio on my team much more than on the enemy team. Most Asashios i see spam torps out of max range. They are not helping with any scout/spot, and since they are at such long range they arent a reliable source of damage either. 

[TDRB]
Members
4,248 posts
12,249 battles

The red team's Asashio almost pulled off a victory for his team in a random last night. I was expecting to hear they were over powering. When I get sunk I watch the remaining DD's on the team play. Some of these DD skippers are good. I've learned a lot about using torpedoes watching them.

[O-PN]
Members
9,110 posts
10,486 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

That player playing it is useless.

I find Asashio to be perfectly adequate, so long as the team backs me up

Very much this. Her guns are fine, I mean, I outfought a Kidd in mine, but then, I build all my IJN DD's for torps AND guns, so.

I find she works best when div'd with another DD. A triple DD div with two gunboats and her is just awful for the reds to face.

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I haven't run mine yet, but you can rest assured, that I will use mine to cap and shoot DDs, maybe I'll break her out today.

:cap_haloween::Smile_popcorn:

[BOTES]
Members
2,109 posts
7,568 battles

I haven't dueled a lot of Asashios in BBs, but my first significant experience confirms my theory that Asashio is painfully gimmicky. I was able to make Asashio waste 6-7 minutes trying to kill me by alternating between hydro and spotter plane on Bismarck. I pushed him so far off the cap that he was unable to go for the rest of my team or interrupt caps and we were able to win on points and time. This tactic was deliberate because our team was in a 6v3 and we were going to lose on points unless my team took two caps and killed the other two ships. All we had left were BBs and most people don't know when to make this kind of play.

Anyways, he wasted all his torpedo salvos and the only reason I died is because I was already on low health and he got lucky with dispersion towards the end. It really wasn't hard to dodge. It's hard if you have no idea where the torps should come from because you cannot react in time, but that's true of most torpedoes. So long as you know what the DD is going to do, torps are useless no matter how stealthy they are.

Supertester, Beta Testers
5,783 posts
8,151 battles

The concept that a ship must kill the ship it counters in order for it to be effective is categorically false.

Assume, for example, that the enemy team has an Asashio and you are in a Conqueror. You spend all game dodging potential torpedoes.

The Asashio could be AFK or active and the results would be almost identical. The perceived threat of potential death is sufficient in terms of game impact.

This same pressure is how battleships can dictate cruiser positioning, forcing them to typically mind their broadsides. Does the battleship have to fire to enforce this concept? Not really. Just projecting its power through existing is sufficient for it to influence the game. Applying actual effort beyond the power projection is where a ship turns from a moderate threat to a serious one.

[DENY]
Members
117 posts
7,836 battles

I love my Asashio and have numerous DD kills with her, she can cap and even gun battle cruisers but your team has to work with you.  When used properly she can be a terror but then so can most ships, except my Pensacola ;(

[SYN]
Members
3,676 posts
20,897 battles

Yep Asashio is useless, WG please buff.........

2a2hIKd.jpg

It is perfectly capable of out gunning other DDs if you play her to her strengths

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles

Not useless, just extremely specialized. Once the battleships are dead, it's the job of the Asashio captain to use their concealment to zip from cap to cap and spot. The guns are accurate and have decent damage, but their ROF is slow. The ship certainly isn't useful after the battleships are gone.

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
350 posts
1,935 battles

I find it OK.  I attempt to cap, but run from gunships.  Always spot, use my smoke for team mates and of course hunt BBs. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,476 posts
17,036 battles
6 hours ago, deresistance said:

But man you can out-spot almost anything.

Yep, had a great T10 game with a good team.  I ran in front of our push force spotting DDs.  Didn't even fire my guns...just spotted the enemy DDs before they spotted me..and my team focused them each time.  The "silent" spotter...that's another use of Asashio.  But you gotta have a team that works with you.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,476 posts
17,036 battles
On 5/29/2018 at 2:38 PM, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Very much this. Her guns are fine, I mean, I outfought a Kidd in mine, but then, I build all my IJN DD's for torps AND guns, so.

Took out a Buffalo last night in my Asashio...with AP!!!!

It was bow on to our BBs...which wore it down to about 30%.  I was on a flank run for the enemy BBs which put me on the flank of the Buffalo...backing up.  I was on his flank just shy of detection and began to punch holes in him.  Much more effective than I thought I would be...down he goes.