You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Estimated_Prophet

Avoiding new commanders in USN cruiser change

42 comments in this topic

[RLGN]
Members
13,283 posts
23,177 battles

Having read and understood the changes to the ships themselves; if I remove the current captains from the ships that will be removed with 0.7.5, will that prevent new captains from appearing in the new ships? Or will the 8 point captains still appear?

Trust me; I don't need any new captains; and I know I can just dimiss them; but I'd rather not get them in the first place.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,859 posts
4,861 battles

What? Is your reserve so overpopulated that it is a cholera breeding ground?

[RLGN]
Members
13,283 posts
23,177 battles

Pretty much, 120 captains because of all the free ones they keep throwing at us, plent of them higher than 8 points, don't need more.

[TBW]
Members
9,542 posts
16,290 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Pretty much, 120 captains because of all the free ones they keep throwing at us, plent of them higher than 8 points, don't need more.

I can use them on CVs when ever I decide to try to grind them.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SEOP]
Members
1,555 posts
8,233 battles

good question.

I could actually use a couple spare USN captains -- particularly if they are already 8 skill pts.

Conversely I have a huge glut of Japanese and German Captains sitting around doing nothing -- aside from filling reserve slots.  I'm always kind of reluctant to dismiss any captain with six or more skill pts. even if they aren't doing anything useful.   

Beta Testers
2,964 posts
24,101 battles

Anything below six I just get rid of . I also have way more then I will ever need and that goes for all the major nations 

[PVE]
Members
19,797 posts
11,989 battles
58 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Having read and understood the changes to the ships themselves; if I remove the current captains from the ships that will be removed with 0.7.5, will that prevent new captains from appearing in the new ships? Or will the 8 point captains still appear?

Trust me; I don't need any new captains; and I know I can just dimiss them; but I'd rather not get them in the first place.

Your current captains T6-T9 US cruiser captains all will be retrained no matter where they are.  If you have the T6-T8 US ships in port, you will get a 6pt Pensacola, 7pt New Orleans, 8pt Baltimore and an 8pt Cleveland captain, no matter how many other US cruiser captains you have.

[RLGN]
Members
13,283 posts
23,177 battles
51 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Your current captains T6-T9 US cruiser captains all will be retrained no matter where they are.  If you have the T6-T8 US ships in port, you will get a 6pt Pensacola, 7pt New Orleans, 8pt Baltimore and an 8pt Cleveland captain, no matter how many other US cruiser captains you have.

What about assigning them to ships that aren’t being changed? In effect making it so I don’t even have a Cleveland captain? (for example...)

Seriously, I don’t need four new captains from this update, or however many might appear from the rest of the split updates.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[PVE]
Members
19,797 posts
11,989 battles
Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

What about assigning them to ships that aren’t being changed? In effect making it so I don’t even have a Cleveland captain? (for example...)

If you reassign the current T6-T9 captains, then they will not be retrained. The free captains are listed as being given out because you have that ship in port, regardless of captain status.

[RLGN]
Members
13,283 posts
23,177 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

If you reassign the current T6-T9 captains, then they will not be retrained. The free captains are listed as being given out because you have that ship in port, regardless of captain status.

Thrilling; figured as much. Thanks.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
19,797 posts
11,989 battles
Just now, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Do I get to keep my current 13, 14, and 11 point US cruiser captains with their skills, or will they be lost?

The current T6 Cleveland captains will be retrained for the T6 Pensacola.

The current T7 Pensacola captains will be retrained for the T7 New Orleans.

The current T8 New Orleans captains will be retrained for the T8 Baltimore.

The current T9 Baltimore captains will be retrained for the T9 Buffalo.

No retrained captain will lose any skills or XP.

If you have the T6 Cleveland in port, you will get an 8pt T8 Cleveland captain.

If you have the T7 Pensacola in port, you will get a 6pt T6 Pensacola captain.

If you have the T8 New Orleans in port, you will get a 7pt T7 New Orleans captain.

If you have the T9 Baltimore in port, you will get an 8 pt T8 Baltimore captain.

• Cool 1

Members
27 posts
5,009 battles

I know I'm going to come off like a ***** saying this, but it will take all of 20 seconds to dismiss them, but you've spent how much time and effort creating, editing, monitoring and replying to this topic?  Seriously, it'll take less time to dismiss them than any other gymnastics you want to do with your current commanders to keep from getting them...

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
22,561 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Pull them prior to the patch then stick them back after they drop down or in Cleveland case go back up. It's what I did for the RU split. You get the new Capt whether you want them or not.

[PVE]
Members
19,797 posts
11,989 battles
24 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

Pull them prior to the patch then stick them back after they drop down or in Cleveland case go back up. It's what I did for the RU split. You get the new Capt whether you want them or not.

Even captains in the reserve will be retrained in this patch. I tested it in the 7.5 PTS.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
13,283 posts
23,177 battles
39 minutes ago, yeochee said:

I know I'm going to come off like a ***** saying this, but it will take all of 20 seconds to dismiss them, but you've spent how much time and effort creating, editing, monitoring and replying to this topic?  Seriously, it'll take less time to dismiss them than any other gymnastics you want to do with your current commanders to keep from getting them...

Don’t worry. Many have harangued me about how I deal with my captains in the past, and I’m used to it.

My point is still, I would rather not get them in the first place; then I don’t even have to worry about dismissing them, which is even easier.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,090 posts
12,727 battles

I know it is never going to change, but I hate that we can't just move captains around freely, without having to retrain.  Lock them to a ship type if needed, but the country restriction should be enough. 

That said, if they are going to keep this design, there should be a bonus in place for captains that don't move between ships.  For example, a secondary XP bar perhaps that goes up as long as the captain is in the same ship.  Or perhaps seperate experience bars for each ship that captain has been on, and they get bonuses for that specific ship?

[SOFOP]
Members
2,090 posts
12,727 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Don’t worry. Many have harangued me about how I deal with my captains in the past, and I’m used to it.

My point is still, I would rather not get them in the first place; then I don’t even have to worry about dismissing them, which is even easier.

Easier for you perhaps, but I'd rather they error on the side of giving people more than they want, rather than less. 

Members
402 posts
3,961 battles
14 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Even captains in the reserve will be retrained in this patch. I tested it in the 7.5 PTS.

What if the Cmdrs are placed in Premium Ships or currently reside in Premium Ships?

What happens to Cmdrs that are in the Indy and Atlanta? Retrained as well?

Do you have to respect the Cmdr perks as well? Last thing I want to do is screen shot each crusier Cmdr I have. Make sense?

Edited by ARandomClaymore

[PVE]
Members
19,797 posts
11,989 battles
2 minutes ago, ARandomClaymore said:

What if the Cmdrs are placed in Premium Ships or currently reside in Premium Ships?

What happens to Cmdrs that are in the Indy and Atlanta? Retrained as well?

Do you have to respect the Cmdr perks as well? Last thing I want to do is screen shot each crusier Cmdr I have. Make sense?

The Cmdr skills & XP earned don't change.

I didn't have any premium ships on the PTS to try and see if that changed anything. I did have a Pensacola captain in the reserve as well as one on the Pensacola on the PTS and both were retrained for the New Orleans. WG has said in all the 7.5 notes I have seen that ALL US T6-T9 cruiser cmdrs will be retrained for the ships that arrive in their tiers. So all T6 Cleveland captains, for example, will be retrained for the T6 Pensacola. You can certainly try and put your Cleveland cpt into a premium and have a 0pt temp captain ride the Cleveland for the split, but I don't think that will work per the patch notes.

After the split, if you play the T6 Pensacola in any battle, you will get 190,000 Elite Cpt XP for fixing your old Cleveland cpt to the new T8 CL Cleveland.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,241 posts
4 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Commander slots are half off right now, 50 dubloons for 4 slots, that's $.05 per slot if you buy dubloons in $100 increments (i.e. $1 = 250 dubloons). I'm at 32/113 vacant right now and will probably buy more because I've already deleted ones I don't need and I never get a new one with a ship these days.

Edited by w4spl3g

Members
402 posts
3,961 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

The Cmdr skills & XP earned don't change.

I didn't have any premium ships on the PTS to try and see if that changed anything. I did have a Pensacola captain in the reserve as well as one on the Pensacola on the PTS and both were retrained for the New Orleans. WG has said in all the 7.5 notes I have seen that ALL US T6-T9 cruiser cmdrs will be retrained for the ships that arrive in their tiers. So all T6 Cleveland captains, for example, will be retrained for the T6 Pensacola. You can certainly try and put your Cleveland cpt into a premium and have a 0pt temp captain ride the Cleveland for the split, but I don't think that will work per the patch notes.

After the split, if you play the T6 Pensacola in any battle, you will get 190,000 Elite Cpt XP for fixing your old Cleveland cpt to the new T8 CL Cleveland.

Thanks for the insight. Have a fully upgraded Cleve with a 15pt Cmdr and a fully upgraded Pepsi-can with a 12pt Cmdr. I'll get a small goodie basket from WG with this split. So I'm happy regardless.

I have the Arizona and the Mighty Mo that I might slap them in for 7.5 update. I'll figure out where I want to place them afterwards. Not really worried about the 190k Elite Cmdr XP that I read about off the Main Page over lunch. I have 4 million as it is. Thanks again for replying. Cheers!

[PVE]
Members
19,797 posts
11,989 battles
2 minutes ago, ARandomClaymore said:

Not really worried about the 190k Elite Cmdr XP that I read about off the Main Page over lunch. I have 4 million as it is. Thanks again for replying. Cheers!

Still enough to respec a 19pt captain just for playing T6 Pensacola in any type of battle for a couple of weeks. You don't have to win, just play and Co-op counts.

[RLGN]
Members
13,283 posts
23,177 battles
22 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Easier for you perhaps, but I'd rather they error on the side of giving people more than they want, rather than less. 

No issue with that of course. Just looking for some kind of ‘opt out’ workaround.

3 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

Commander slots are half off right now, 50 dubloons for 4 slots, that's $.05 per slot if you buy dubloons in $100 increments (i.e. $1 = 250 dubloons). I'm at 32/113 vacant right now and will probably buy more because I've already deleted ones I don't need and I never get a new one with a ship these days.

Have received tonnes of reserve slots in containers; I think I maybe expanded my reserve deliberately once, over two years ago, as an experiment.

If I can do so, I avoid purchasing any ship with a commander if possible.

That’s part of my problem. I was so green when I first started playing back in 2015 I didn’t understand about moving captains up, which meant a new one for every ship. Think it took six months or so before something someone said finally hit me like being clocked with a 2x4, and I understood how I’d screwed that up.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,241 posts
Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

No issue with that of course. Just looking for some kind of ‘opt out’ workaround.

Have received tonnes of reserve slots in containers; I think I maybe expanded my reserve deliberately once, over two years ago, as an experiment.

If I can do so, I avoid purchasing any ship with a commander if possible.

That’s part of my problem. I was so green when I first started playing back in 2015 I didn’t understand about moving captains up, which meant a new one for every ship. Think it took six months or so before something someone said finally hit me like being clocked with a 2x4, and I understood how I’d screwed that up.

Yea, that happened to me to, WG has an incentive not to publish information like what's the most efficient way to level commanders; especially not in game.