You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

The Importance of Pushing in Battleships

61 comments in this topic

[NBNG]
Members
403 posts
9,399 battles
3 hours ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Pushing... it only works when everyone "gets it" .. a concerted push by a group of ships is very effective, but it has to be done with confidence and skill, both attributes that are too often lacking...

We, the base, must continue to encourage better play via positive reinforcement, and other feedback in game, that eschews the brow beating and aims for mentorship. ( yes I know I ask a lot...)

Totally agree. Hate it when 1 red ships pops up and people are turning already and retreating. Very effective lemming train is when team is all pushing and concentrated fire is focused at first ships popping up. 

[SQUAD]
Members
2,132 posts
12,238 battles
14 minutes ago, Hydra_360ci said:

idk.... I feel if you really want your local BB to push with you, (in whatever you're in).
Then play the BB and try it for yourself...

I have been trying this in my biz... charging right in .. it works about a third of the time so far, mostly because others are afraid to push... obviously you can't do this with 2 vs 6... but with equal or better numbers it works well... but.. that is not how most people play... :D 

[--K--]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,339 battles
Just now, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

I have been trying this in my biz... charging right in .. it works about a third of the time so far, mostly because others are afraid to push... obviously you can't do this with 2 vs 6... but with equal or better numbers it works well... but.. that is not how most people play... :D 

If it only works 1 out of 3 times, shouldn't you be doing the opposite of what you've been doing? And no, you're not going to magically be able to make other people in the game to Yolo with you so can either adapt or trade your ship for no gain 2/3 of the time. 

[187]
Members
1,626 posts
10,826 battles
On 5/29/2018 at 8:04 AM, Lonewolfpj said:

I hate it. I push all the time and when a team moves with me we win but so many times the BB are scared of getting hit and run away. How is that even fun? I love getting in the mix and throwing my weight around. 

Yep...like a sumo.

Image result for greatest sumo of all time

Image result for USS Missouri in action

PUSH Mother [edited]!

Edited by C_D

[90TH]
Members
1,147 posts
10,762 battles
7 hours ago, thebigblue said:

The word many was being thrown around. While true, what you describe is more of an exception out side of clan battle or ranked.

And here's what you threw around:

On 5/29/2018 at 3:09 PM, thebigblue said:

In many cases? Seriously man, about as close to fiction as you can get without totally making stuff up.

In many cases? What? Maybe once in a while when a bottom tier dd vs top tier radar cruiser.

I don't have time to write it all out for you, but an Atlanta, which is much more common than an Indy, has radar which matches or outdistances torps from the same-tier Mahan, Sims, Gadja Mahda, and Maass, not to mention the Russian DD's which have short-range defense-only torps.

The Chapayev radar not only outdistances all torps at her tier (almost 2k longer than a Kagero and 2.5k longer than a Benson's torps) but even outdistances torps at higher tiers like those from the T9 Fletcher and Z-46, and even the T10 Z-52.

Well I'm never going to change your mind if you just want to complain about DD torps being "OP".  Have you played torpedo boats much at Tier 8+?

Edited by n00bot

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
2,181 posts
4,624 battles

I can't count how many times i try to help push in my BB just to become the focus fire target and watch my team run away without firing a shot to help support leaving me to burn to the water line.

If you are with a clan or division sure push away in a BB otherwise pushing in a BB with a random team just means YOLO.

[NFW]
Members
49 posts
1,114 battles
3 hours ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Agreed, a few of the most entertaining games I have had were with the Tirpitz, doing bum rush on smoked out DD's... No Hydro on Tirp, but she can dance the torp beat pretty well, especially when you rush their shots. I have had great fun but mixed results as there are often other units close behind them and you often over extend.

[NFW]
Members
49 posts
1,114 battles
5 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

I can't count how many times i try to help push in my BB just to become the focus fire target and watch my team run away without firing a shot to help support leaving me to burn to the water line.

If you are with a clan or division sure push away in a BB otherwise pushing in a BB with a random team just means YOLO.

Yep.... they follow you in and peel out just when they should be pushing as you are soaking fire for them. Teamwork requires players to nut up and exploit the push.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,201 posts
22,224 battles
8 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

You have to learn to "read" the match and especially your teammates.  I eventually learned in this game to read how timid my teammates were early in a match.  The greatest giveaway is how aggressive they are sailing towards the enemy and caps at the start of the match.  If they are going in, then they seem like a good sort to make a push when the time is right.  But when you see something like only the DD going to the cap and everyone else in their Cruiser, Battleship sitting 15km+ away from the cap edge with poor support for the DD, that is a BIG WARNING that you got timid teammates and they will bail on you the first chance you get.  There's more subtle signs, but how people sail at the start is a giveaway with how they play.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
2,181 posts
4,624 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You have to learn to "read" the match and especially your teammates.  I eventually learned in this game to read how timid my teammates were early in a match.  The greatest giveaway is how aggressive they are sailing towards the enemy and caps at the start of the match.  If they are going in, then they seem like a good sort to make a push when the time is right.  But when you see something like only the DD going to the cap and everyone else in their Cruiser, Battleship sitting 15km+ away from the cap edge with poor support for the DD, that is a BIG WARNING that you got timid teammates and they will bail on you the first chance you get.  There's more subtle signs, but how people sail at the start is a giveaway with how they play.

Yeah i'm never the tip of the spear, if no DD or CA is screening ahead of me i don't push. I however had a match recently where we were grouped up to push a cap, started trading fire and the next thing i know the four ships with me stopped firing and ran away letting the enemy burn my rear down and not even firing a shot until later when they were picked off one by one running away.

Watching a Bismarck run away without shooting is pretty sad.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
2,181 posts
4,624 battles
12 minutes ago, Algraxa said:

Yep.... they follow you in and peel out just when they should be pushing as you are soaking fire for them. Teamwork requires players to nut up and exploit the push.

Yes this is it. While i was being focused and trying to make myself as small a target as possible giving my team time to shoot back without getting shot and they ran instead. One by one getting picked off after i died. Fun and engaging.

Things like that happen i go take a break. Have a kit kat.

Edited by xalmgrey