Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

learning the game

13 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
4,238 posts
12,234 battles

I had a very wrong misconception of how a game mechanic works. The wiki explanation did not make it clear IMO. I was frustrated and I am sure those trying to tell me I was wrong were wondering if I had a double digit IQ. Frustration impedes clear thinking.  Another thread turn that little light on to the obvious & I found a clear explanation of how the mechanic works on Youtube. I was surprised I haven't seen the video before.

To you old salts with many thousands of battles under your belt and several years of playing this game I would like to suggest that you remember you have evolved with this game & its changes where new players, such as I, are trying to learn it all in a much shorter period of time. Also if you can point to a video explaining the mechanic, please do so. It may save a lot of grief.

I do wish thank those who tried to steer right.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Beta Testers
2,963 posts
24,101 battles

I'm still learning this game , striving to always get better and trying to control my attitude when things don't always go right in blow-out battles 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles

I did not watch any videos, I played, I learned, I adapted, I am still here.

[TDRB]
Members
4,238 posts
12,234 battles

I'm still learning this game , striving to always get better and trying to control my attitude when things don't always go right in blow-out battles 

Yes, I am sure this is an ongoing learning experience because of strategy tactic change throughout the game. Trying to control the attitude is a very difficult task sometimes.

[TDRB]
Members
4,238 posts
12,234 battles

Yes, & I am sure there are others like you. But not all learn quickly from experience and guides along the way do accelerate learning the game. 

Members
1,349 posts
16,526 battles

Which game mechanic were you confused about? There may be other tips/hints that the forum members could offer up for you and others to use. When I was first starting out it was the torpedo mechanics that gave me the biggest trouble for both offense and defense.

As for the OP asking the "old salts" to cut the newbies a little slack you'll get a mixed response. Everything from the stat shamers telling you in chat that you have no business being on the same team they are until you are as good as they are; to genuinely helpful people willing to division up with you in games or spend time in a training room to help teach proper techniques. Ignore the first and seek out the second.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,082 posts
7,217 battles
43 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

I did watch the videos. Other than iChase's "Academy" videos, most of them are showcasing the player's skills and (variably) witty commentary, rather than actually teaching you anything. You end up doing things because a famous YouTuber does them, and not because you understand why they're a good idea. (and when they're not)

All my game knowledge is gained from experience, the Wiki, and here.

IMO, it's not a bad idea to just blunder around for the first little while, so you get an idea what sort of questions you need to ask.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles
6 minutes ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

Which game mechanic were you confused about? There may be other tips/hints that the forum members could offer up for you and others to use. When I was first starting out it was the torpedo mechanics that gave me the biggest trouble for both offense and defense.

As for the OP asking the "old salts" to cut the newbies a little slack you'll get a mixed response. Everything from the stat shamers telling you in chat that you have no business being on the same team they are until you are as good as they are; to genuinely helpful people willing to division up with you in games or spend time in a training room to help teach proper techniques. Ignore the first and seek out the second.

Help those who want it, troll those who shun your help. Happens all the time in Port Chat and Battle Chat with me.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,557 posts
15,276 battles

I get the impression that OP doesn't speak English as their first language, which may also be a hindrance for someone learning the game on this server... 

[TDRB]
Members
4,238 posts
12,234 battles

I get the impression that OP doesn't speak English as their first language, which may also be a hindrance for someone learning the game on this server... 

You got the wrong impression.

[TDRB]
Members
4,238 posts
12,234 battles

IMO, it's not a bad idea to just blunder around for the first little while, so you get an idea what sort of questions you need to ask.

I agree, it is not a bad idea to blunder around but sometimes you do miss the forest for the trees out of frustration.

[TDRB]
Members
4,238 posts
12,234 battles

As for the OP asking the "old salts" to cut the newbies a little slack you'll get a mixed response.

Yes, but it was polite to ask. My frustration did cause an insult or 2. However I got a few responses that made me think more clearly.

Edited by kgh52

Sign in to follow this