You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Eisennagel

The Fan Wars

11 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
10,577 posts

Genre fans seems on the warpath starting last year with Star Trek Discovery, then the twin loot box controversies with Star Wars Battlefront II and Destiny 2, culminating last year with the Last Jedi.  This year, we got the cancellations of Lucifer and The Expanse, which led to full blown save campaigns.  The Expanse would be saved by Amazon but not SyFy Channel's reputation.  Lucifer, unfortunately, looks perma-dead this time.  Now the Fan Wars are turning into a full blown Rebellion  against what they perceive as the Evil Empire of Disney and Lucasfilms.  Many are not happy about the new Solo film for many reasons, and are not happy hearing about new Lando, Boba and Obi films to be made either.  Critics chalk it up to franchise fatigue, but I feel its much more than that --- fans are not buying, more like fully opposing, this vision of what Disney and Kathleen Kennedy has for the Star Wars franchise, which is to milk them like another comic book hero movie.  Just weeks after Disney reached a peak with the Avengers Infinity Wars, the bottom fell out under one of their most cherished franchise properties, as Solo debuts with massive disappointment around the world, worsened with said to be poor sales of related toy merchandise.

Studios and studio heads should be reminded:  that the Force resides with the Fans.

Edited by Eisennagel
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
123 posts
2,340 battles

The backlash honestly started the instant Disney stated that 20+ years of stories were to be deleted and no longer existed.

Episode 7 removed most of the fanbase that were fans of the Original Trilogy and the 90's books.

Episode 8 is when people really started to wake up to realizing that the whole thing is ****, just hearing how they treated Luke Skywalker is appalling(I have not seen it, and if I have anything to say about it never will).

The writing is trash, the characters are flat and forgettable, the pacing is ridiculous(Seriously, episodes 7 & 8 take place over less then a month from start to finish), the attempts at 'witty' banter, it is just a bad set of Marvel movies with Star Wars in the title at this point.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,139 posts

Seems someone knew when to get out of the property properly, get tons of cash for it and move on. I read a fair share of those 90's books and do believe they kept the pace, excitement and filling in of the unknown canon (at that time) right on track. If you'd asked any true fan at the time if Disney was THE group to have purchased Star Wars, most likely they would have said, "oh h*** no!!"

Funny thing about this topic too... YouTube keeps shoving more and more of the dissenter videos into my suggested list. I am quite surprised that Disney has not yet got a cease and desist ruling over that action. 

[TWFT]
Members
1,258 posts
35,294 battles

StarWars has jumped the shark.  Thanks to SJW's that now rule the world.

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,809 posts
11,101 battles

In terms of Lucifer, never know, it could end up like Constantine were CW get's a hold and either does it themselves, makes an animated series or folds it into the Arrowverse (yes, Lucifer the show is actually based on a DC property).

But the fan backlash - this has been stewing and forming far, longer across the board. It's just that as times are changing and all the chorus is getting louder and louder, especially against certain groups. In many places it was sometimes just certain groups in gaming as things changed (Snipers in FPS games), or less die-hard fans, but others did start to see it shifting in ways that at least gave them pause. Movies - I can place the exact date that it started: January 31st, 1997. The day the first Star Wars Special Addition was released, and they reached the scene of Han and Greedo. But, back in the day, the internet wasn't what it was. And a few months later, you have Batman and Robin. But that was the end of that series. And as we got to TPM, the internet was getting more to what we know today, and you have that trilogy that, people have started to ease up on a bit, but had them lashing out at everyone including Lucas, even at actors that didn't deserve half the flak they got. Daredevil, Elektra, Blade Trinity, the updated special editions, Hulk, Catwoman. There's a long list of movies after SW:SE that upset fans.

But, when it comes to movies - I think the true breaking point was "Man of Steel". It left fans, especially real DC ones, divided. Me personally, I'm not a Superman fan but aside from OP powers, what puts him low on my list is what I like about him at the same time - he's the big blue boy scout. And you can have him get mad, you can strip some of that away, but you have to do it right - like in the old DCAU Justice League Cartoon, that was building off S:TaS. And while it looks amazing, I hate Man of Steels writing and some of it's directing. BvS I hoped would be better and while we get an awesome Batman (and before anyone says "but Batman isn't supposed to kill" - Early comics he did and the ONLY live action movie he does not kill anyone, intentionally or otherwise, is Batman and Robin) and Wonder Woman, but again, just butchering Superman. Squad, I enjoyed the film - the writing was crap but it was fun and at least the characters were on point and recognizable. Just... needs a better look for Joker, maybe a different actor (not enough in the movie to really make a call). Like all films Wonder Woman has some issues, small ones, but is a good film, not Dark Knight levels, but on par with your average Marvel film. And then you have JL which, I can tell which things are Whedon's work and which are Snyder's, and most of what I hate in the film is leftovers of Snyder but, overall, it's an okay film, similar to squad. Hell, plenty of Marvel fans ave had freakouts over some changes to those characters in film like Ironman and Zemo. They just so far have better overall movies.

But it's different when we get to Star Wars. I personally like TFA, yes, it retreads 4 a bit, so did 1 because that was part of Lucas's thing with Star Wars, and was entertaining and different enough and like the characters. I also mostly enjoyed Rogue One other than what seems to be changes made to Jyn's character between trailer releases and the actual film. And I enjoyed Rebels and Clone Wars, albeit, they have episodes I pass on like most shows. But then we get to 8 and I have no clue what in the hell this guy was thinking. I mean, I can see some of the ideas and like them but the execution is abysmal. There are some scenes that needed to be cut Luke with the milk, most of the Finn/Rose subplot, etc. Several scenes need heavy reworking like the opening with those stupid, should not exist heavy bombers cause what the hell was with that and the entire attack by Kylo on the capital ship and well, basically that entire plot point. Now throw in that it's doing a truly :etc_swear: job retreading elements of 5 and 6, that is where fans really started to draw a line even if they liked TFA and RO. And Solo, I mean, I haven't seen it yet, likely a long while before I do, but those trailers much as I'm curious about other characters and think the guy doing young Lando was doing a good enough job (Not sure he can ever be the awesome of Billy Dee), but the guy who's supposed to play a younger Han turned me off it at all. He doesn't look like him, sound like him, or have any mannerism of him. Unlike Ewan McGregor who nailed Obi-Wan, even getting some of the small mannerisms down. And what I'm hearing, I mean - don't get me wrong, Ron Howard is a good director for something like, Apollo 13, not so much this. Some things sound like they should have been tweaked or cut and well, they did a really :etc_swear: job reintroducing that character for anyone that hasn't read or watched expanded universe stuff like Clone Wars or Rebels. 

Thing is that, actually, plenty want Obi-Wan (as long as Ewan is given the part again), Boba Fett (post Sarlec pit hopefully, or at least partially), and, after Solo a Lando spinoff - problem is as much as people want it, starting to get hesitant cause the main shot caller, who's Star Wars equivalent of Kevin Feige, just lost pretty much all her credibility. She put Rian in charge and okay'd his take on episode 8, she removed L&M and personally put Ron Howard in on Solo, and it basically used up any good will Kathleen Kennedy bought herself with the first two. Least Feige Had Ironman and the other films that to some were at least "okay" before Ironman 2, and then had Avengers all that came after, that has been mostly his with some misses or just okay films. She's had as top of that food chain 2 good, not truly great movies, and now a disaster that may well be hurting Solo, not to mention if she had say on release date, you go shortly behind Infinity War and DP2? That's asking for failure. 

[NNG]
Members
1,673 posts
3,023 battles

Actually watched that video the other day, everything he says is completely right, Kathleen Kennedy is not qualified to handle Lucasfilm she has no respect for the legacy Lucas created 40 years ago. They are taking the greatest film franchise in history downhill fast, no wonder Marvel overtook Star Wars. 

Solo really does need to flop for them to get the message. 

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,699 posts

Fans are so obsessed with the old that they won't give the new even the slightest chance. Rogue One in my opinion was the most Star Wars film in the history of Star Wars

• Cool 2

[-BMV-]
Members
1,227 posts
6,176 battles
2 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

Fans are so obsessed with the old that they won't give the new even the slightest chance. Rogue One in my opinion was the most Star Wars film in the history of Star Wars

Many of the fans that love Star wars so much hate  half the movies the George Lucas created. 

Edited by AquaSquirrel

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,699 posts
5 hours ago, AquaSquirrel said:

Many of the fans that love Star wars so much hate  half the movies the George Lucas created. 

That's the fun part about Rogue One, no Lucas getting in the way of the story with his sand and his nano-force-germs and his gungans

Beta Testers
10,577 posts

After watching Solo, I would say it wasn't a bad film but it certainly came in a very wrong time.  It may have done better if they saved it for a December 2018 launch instead.  The movie suffered from Last Jedi aftermath, plus coming in after Infinity Wars and Deadpool 2 is the worst timing ever.  

Rogue One was certainly one, if not the best Star Wars film i ever watched, but the Last Jedi was a disappointment and left me feeling "is that it?"