Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Big_Tidday_Goth_GF

Would you like some High Tier maps with more cover?

19 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
937 posts
7,720 battles

I have two questions in mind really.  First, why would you play a Shimakaze in the game right now?  Honest question of Shimakaze players who also play other DDs.  I'm really not feeling like doing the grind if I can't effectively fight most other DDs for a cap.

Second, how would you like to see some maps at higher tier that are a little more maze like or less open?  I think of all the fun I have had on maps like Shards and Fault Line, or Big Race for that matter.  Big Race is probably my favorite map in the game but I hardly get to see it now unless I play a low tier.  I look at some of the more islandy maps in high tier and a lot of them are more a series of channels than of actual maneuverable islands.  For instance, the new map Sleeping Giant has a little bit going on in the east, but those narrow channels normally don't see a lot of action except maybe from cruisers using them for cover.  North has a buttload of islands but it is a very campy map, and the alternative to fighting in one of the fishbowls is either to fight out in the open out west or to sail of like a mindless lone idiot in the east.

Members
1,678 posts
16,851 battles

Shimakaze can cap but that's not really their prime role. Of all DDs played the same the game would be a bit boring. 

And more high tier maps would be great regardless of their layout. You just want more cover for your radar memeotaur :)

Alpha Tester
937 posts
7,720 battles

Nibba count the times you have seen me camping in Minotaur (or Atlanta for that matter)

don’t forget I play literally everything.  Nothing is more irritating to me in a carrier than an island screwing up a good attack run.

I do think the mid to low tiers have better maps though.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
6 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

Less cover over all, more open waters. 

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,722 posts
22,077 battles
8 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

Less cover over all, more open waters. 

Totally agree. Less first person shooter and more "fire & maneuver".

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,720 posts
13,934 battles

More ocean, fewer islands.

This fixes several hotly contended issues, like radar through land, if there's no land, no problem.

• Cool 1

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,720 posts
13,934 battles
35 minutes ago, Big_Tidday_Goth_GF said:

First, why would you play a Shimakaze in the game right now

Why not, its a good DD, better now with smaller concealment.  The problem you see with a lot of DD players is they're just not that good at it, its not their fault, they simply do not understand what they should do, when they should do it, and how they should do it.

[INTEL]
Members
12,147 posts
33,706 battles
17 hours ago, Big_Tidday_Goth_GF said:

I have two questions in mind really.  First, why would you play a Shimakaze in the game right now?  Honest question of Shimakaze players who also play other DDs.  I'm really not feeling like doing the grind if I can't effectively fight most other DDs for a cap.

Second, how would you like to see some maps at higher tier that are a little more maze like or less open?  I think of all the fun I have had on maps like Shards and Fault Line, or Big Race for that matter.  Big Race is probably my favorite map in the game but I hardly get to see it now unless I play a low tier.  I look at some of the more islandy maps in high tier and a lot of them are more a series of channels than of actual maneuverable islands.  For instance, the new map Sleeping Giant has a little bit going on in the east, but those narrow channels normally don't see a lot of action except maybe from cruisers using them for cover.  North has a buttload of islands but it is a very campy map, and the alternative to fighting in one of the fishbowls is either to fight out in the open out west or to sail of like a mindless lone idiot in the east.

Congrats, you've divined WG's map formula. Create lots of choked channels, forcing ships to either camp or die. Sucks for the players, but WG wants ships dead and players back in the queue ASAP. 

Big Race is also my favorite map, along with New Dawn. The latter has plenty of islands, which you can shoot over or hug for cover. They dont canalize the ships into channels where they die quickly. 

Unfortunately WG hasn't applied that principle across  its other maps. Indeed, as you climb, the map quality declines, until at least you are on Sea of (Mis)Fortune or Loop, both of which are godawful. Or Shatter, which was obviously designed by people who have never played the game. 

We desperately need new maps. Desperately. 

[HOTH]
Members
456 posts
7,449 battles

I just want more maps in general.

But speaking as someone who loves their des memes. Please have a dash of cover here and there. Getting a map with no cover isn't exactly fun.....atleast for me.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,722 posts
22,077 battles
4 minutes ago, KommandantPerry said:

I just want more maps in general.

But speaking as someone who loves their des memes. Please have a dash of cover here and there. Getting a map with no cover isn't exactly fun.....atleast for me.

Fine, use floating icebergs that can be blasted out of existence to get at the squishy boat hiding behind them... I typed that out of fun but now I kind of like the idea..

Members
4,060 posts
4,347 battles

Maps with breakable cover would be interesting. Would be like space invaders where your cover will erode way if you hide behind it too long. 

Members
768 posts
18,340 battles
3 hours ago, Big_Tidday_Goth_GF said:

Who ever said that the Shima is for capping? There's no rule that says you have to go cap right at the game start. It's perfectly fine to wait a while for their DDs to spread out after capping. In fact, I'd prefer you did that rather than rush a cap right when it's crowded and get blown up 5 mins into the match.

Being a good player requires realising the strengths and weaknesses of your ship and adapting your play to fit it, not the other way round. Shima is not a capping ship when there's contention. So avoid it where it is expected, stay dark and torp people to crap.

4 hours ago, Big_Tidday_Goth_GF said:

Second, how would you like to see some maps at higher tier that are a little more maze like or less open?

Tight maps are good for DDs, but quite hateful for larger ships.

Actually, the first part of that sentence isn't even correct, I should've said "... good for some DDs...". If your DD can take care of its own in a knife fight, you'll enjoy tight maps and ambush tactics. But if you rely on stealth and long-range torping, you'll hate them.

I think its safe to say that you've already made your preferred type of ship to play abundantly clear, namely US and German-style DDs. So it comes off as ingenuine when you propose something that will only benefit you and frustrate practically everyone else who play other types or classes.

My answer is a no. I'd much rather have a balanced map where everyone can fight on roughly equal terms and enjoy it the same.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

I want maps with sea room.

When I want to hide I play Tanks.

Sign in to follow this