You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KSN

Ruining your Ranked? Ofc it was '49% Sh#ter'... who else could it have been?

52 comments in this topic

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,764 posts
10,760 battles

ac506b14-4cc8-11e5-8346-ac162d8bc1e4_120

So you lost a Ranked battle, you lost a star... and it was all because of that one player! And look, he's only got a sub Unicum win rate!! Better yet he's only 49%!!!

And you might find yourself thinking 'How in the world did he get into (my) sub 5 Rank?!'... 

Well, I'm here to tell you.... he earned it. Yep that's right, that terrible player that should be banned from World of Warships, for the incredulity of not performing the right tactical decisions in your elevated Unicum understanding of the game, he has every right to be on the same map, in the same rank as you.

We struggle and learn, and practice, and advance, and improve. And while it might burn you to no end, that a sub-Unicum player made it to the Rank bracket you are also at, he worked to be there no matter how imperfectly, as we do our best to try to benefit our team.

"Rank means nothing, anyone can grind out a rank! You're still terrible!!"

It does mean something: It means that this player loves the same game you both play; it also means that like you, he has poured time and energy, and probably money, into trying to overcome the obstacles of securing a win, from not only the enemy team, but toxic radioactive hate and bullying by players with anger management issues to get to where he is. Assume all you like that his team mates carried him to rank 4, hell bite your fingers with impotent rage that if it were up to you no one below a 65% win rate would even have the right to play ranked battles; go ahead and continue to spew your toxic radioactive hate and malice, and let it eat you up and consume you in your elitist arrogance.

But while you are doing that, and find yourself impressed with your self-aggrandizing opinion 'Admiral Wanabe', just remember that all us 49%'s and below: we'll be in all your Ranked, and Randoms, and everywhere in this beautiful game that you don't want us in, ruining your perfectly narssassitically constructed delusions, that 'if only everyone understood the game like you do', then all would be right with World of Warships.

So while we may not be as good as you 'oh great one', we'll play when we like, and what we like, whenever we like. Indeed, we're here! This is our game too, and we're staying in every facet of this game, because no matter how much you try to bully or harass us, there's nothing you can do about it. :)

And I know for myself, I will not give up or give in, in trying to be an even better player next match, and the match after, and the match after that...

Regards,

• Cool 24
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[CUTER]
Members
832 posts
24,901 battles
14 minutes ago, KSN said:

if it were up to you no one below a 65% win rate would even have the right to play ranked battles.

I always say for every 49 percenter, someone else gets to be 51 percent.  If I am unicum, it because there is a player out there who is equally bad on the other end of the spectrum.  I don't want everyone to be like me.  If they were, how could I gloat about my amazing stats?!

I benefit greatly from subpar players.  They help me save stars and when on the other team make for good farming.

Edited by Kongo_Pride
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 5
  • Boring 2

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,720 posts
13,934 battles
19 minutes ago, KSN said:

So you lost a Ranked battle, you lost a star... and it was all because of that one player! And look, he's only got a sub Unicum win rate!! Better yet he's only 49%!!!

And you might find yourself thinking 'How in the world did he get into (my) sub 5 Rank?!'... 

Well, I'm here to tell you.... he earned it. Yep that's right, that terrible player that should be banned from World of Warships, for the incredulity of not performing the right tactical decisions in your elevated Unicum understanding of the game, he has every right to be on the same map, in the same rank as you.

We struggle and learn, and practice, and advance, and improve. And while it might burn you to no end, that a sub-Unicum player made it to the Rank bracket you are also at, he worked to be there no matter how imperfectly, as we do our best to try to benefit our team.

It does mean something: It means that this player loves the same game you both play; it also means that like you, he has poured time and energy, and probably money, into trying to overcome the obstacles of securing a win, from not only the enemy team, but toxic radioactive hate and bullying by players with anger management issues to get to where he is. Assume all you like that his team mates carried him to rank 4, hell bite your fingers with impotent rage that if it were up to you no one below a 65% win rate would even have the right to play ranked battles; go ahead and continue to spew your toxic radioactive hate and malice, and let it eat you up and consume you in your elitist arrogance.

But while you are doing that, and find yourself impressed with your self-aggrandizing opinion 'Admiral Wanabe', just remember that all us 49%'s and below: we'll be in all your Ranked, and Randoms, and everywhere in this beautiful game that you don't want us in, ruining your perfectly narssassitically constructed delusions, that 'if only everyone understood the game like you do', then all would be right with World of Warships.

So while we may not be as good as you 'oh great one', we'll play when we like, and what we like, whenever we like. Indeed, we're here! This is our game too, and we're staying in every facet of this game, because no matter how much you try to bully or harass us, there's nothing you can do about it. :)

And I know for myself, I will not give up or give in, in trying to be an even better player next match, and the match after, and the match after that...

Regards,

Stick to playing BB, plenty of potatoes there for people to farm

[MPIRE]
Members
1,662 posts
21,910 battles
19 minutes ago, KSN said:

Sorry, but that's just not true. With R10 being irrevocable this season, the 10-6 ranks were bloated with absolutely terrible players that did not earn it. If this season was like any other where you could fall back from 10, they would have left the second league and have been pushed back to the league of their respective skill. But now they are permanently stuck in rank 10, sometimes making it to rank 9, but then falling back again. Earning it would be being able to make the second league and staying there without a irrevocable rank 10 as a safety net. This change really ruined ranked for many people this season.

• Cool 10

[--K--]
Members
5,326 posts
16,585 battles

At no point have I felt the need to go look up a players stats to some how justify my frustration with their performance in a Rank Lost. But when you see the same player making the same mistakes several times in Rank battles you begin to wonder how they got where they are. Its like my Dad says, "Dead wood floats to the top and its carried by the current." It gets worst when the player performs poorly than blames the team for the failure to win. You don't need a players stats to make a judgement call on them, their action and chat will condemn them.  

I also lost my disillusion about what it takes to Rank out when a Player with 48% Rank Win Rate achieved R1 after 1k battles. 

What bugs me about Rank is how one team coming together and winning against the odds can be undone by a few players who play poorly, camp, or damage farming for their Save A Star. If Rank didn't take away your star because you couldn't carry a Team Killer, Bad player or that AFK over there I would be fine playing with random potatoes. Because I believe Rank made me a better player and if a persons is willing to learn how to play than Rank is the forge in which to test your skills. But because a star is on the line it will only breeds toxic frustrated salt. 

• Cool 7

1,764 posts
10,760 battles
24 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

Sorry, but that's just not true. With R10 being irrevocable this season, the 10-6 ranks were bloated with absolutely terrible players that did not earn it. If this season was like any other where you could fall back from 10, they would have left the second league and have been pushed back to the league of their respective skill. But now they are permanently stuck in rank 10, sometimes making it to rank 9, but then falling back again. Earning it would be being able to make the second league and staying there without a irrevocable rank 10 as a safety net. This change really ruined ranked for many people this season.

Please explain how 2 ranks makes a significant difference? Because the previous irrevocable was 12.

Not to mention, I opined a Rank of 4, and there's a delineation between 10-6 and 5-2.

It's interesting that the Unicum players will still trash on a player despite him spearheading a push that broke a stalemate and won them the match. So is it about skill? or Internet gaming culture, that these basement gnomes are going to be toxic no matter what?

shot-18.05.28_22.51.09-0382.jpg

• Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
9,535 posts
16,251 battles

I only have a 49% win rate over all. This can be explained in many ways. First of all quite early in my WOWs career I wanted to have more battles and Higher tier ships than my nephew did, he was the one that told me about the game. He didn't tell me about invite a friend but that is a different story. Needless to say I had no Idea about the mechanics of the game. Stupid me didn't even know I could zoom out so I played my first 4 or 5 hundred battles in front gun mode while cruising around. Learning that I could zoom out was a bit of a game changer for me, not the last one however. Trying to out do my nephew and having lots of time on my hands to play and still not knowing any of the mechanics. I decided to advance, was to play as many battles as possible. Rush in get a kill or two (or none), get in and out in five minutes or so. This tactic does very little to pad your stats which I didn't know, or even care about at that point.

Lo and behold I found the Wiki, the Forums and YouTube videos around my 2500th battle. I learned about tactics and mechanics and how to play better. I was still in beat the nephew mode though, so although my game was better, I still had no care about ratings (I am some times a slow learner).

I started buying Premium ships for training captains quite early on. I had 32 of them when Shipsgiving 2016 rolled around and I bought the Big Fleet package and cleared 170,000 Doubloons, got the 5 premiums I didn't have and 32 extra port slots. I made the decision that I wanted all of the ships available in my port some day. This is when my game play changed around, I became much more serious about the game. Since about that time I have been a lot more aware of my stats, not to show them off but to see my own progress. I could be unicum and my stats will remain terrible, I by no means think that I am a unicum player but my stats are steadily on the incline and on the EU server although not many battles I have like a 60% WR. I don't play on that server very often, I really should play there more.

Having all of the ships poses a stat problem of it's own. First off I won't waste Doubloons on silly stuff like XP or credits, so I grind the ships and modules xp. My ships are not always upgraded and once I grind the ship I move on to the next one. Each ship being different, you don't really get much time to learn to play them to their full potential. I am also grinding all lines and all ship types, with the exception of CVs. This type of ship collecting does not really give you much chance of padding your stats.

Then of course I invite some friends to the game and You div up with them and they are not good in any way yet. They are my friends and we make a clan. The clan is not really serious players but I stay with them out of loyalty. They do not play often any more but they pop in and we play together from time to time, so I stay in this clan instead of getting into a competitive one. Once again not really great for ratings. I am sure that if I joined a clan of serious players and I dived up with clan members that really wanted to work together, I could improve my stats.

When I have all of the ships, I am sure I will play the ships that I do well in and things might improve a bit more.

My point here is that although my stats look bad, that I am a much better player than they suggest. Judging a player by there stats is not really an indication of how good they are. Ranked battles are not an indication of rank in the first place. Just about any one who really wants to do it can make it to Rank 1. The lack of any team play in ranked, partly due to the best loser rule, keeps me from wanting to do the grind. I tried for several seasons kind of. My first ranked season I was at tier 4 and fell back to tier 9, which didn't sit well with me. Since then I really only dabble in the ranks for signals and this year I think I might have 5 or 6 battles.

The last reason I might not have very good stats is that I really like to play the game while drinking whiskey and beer. At least I think I am playing good, then I see the stats in the morning and whoa! I would not play drunk in Ranked or Clan battles. Once again this is not great for your ratings.

All I am saying is don't judge a Captain by his ratings. Thank you for your time and have a great day.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 5

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,026 posts
17,526 battles
17 minutes ago, KSN said:

Please explain how 2 ranks makes a significant difference? Because the previous irrevocable was 12.

Because irrevocable 12 means that a player can drop back out of the 10-6 bracket if they underperform. Irrevocable 10 means they stay there forever, no matter how badly they do.

• Cool 6

1,764 posts
10,760 battles
Just now, Edgecase said:

Because irrevocable 12 means that a player can drop back out of the 10-6 bracket if they underperform. Irrevocable 10 means they stay there forever, no matter how badly they do.

Thank you, and that makes sense. Did WGing say why they made the change?

• Cool 1

[MPIRE]
Members
1,662 posts
21,910 battles
6 minutes ago, KSN said:

It makes an immense difference because they are two completely separate leagues. Ranked works by dividing the ranks into different leagues. Ranks 5-1 is the premier league. 10-6 is the second league. 15-11 is the third league, and so on..

Each league has its own separate pool of players. If you are in the third league, you will only play with people in the third league. When 12 was irrevocable instead of 10, a terrible player could drift their way up to R10 in the second league, lose, then fall back to the third league. The better skilled players in the second league wouldn't be stuck with these players. But since 10 is irrevocable, now those players are in the second league and can never fall back. The more skilled players are pooled with them for the rest of the season, and it drags down the teams and quality of matches.

Every recent season up until this one, the 10-6 bracket has been easy for me, and the real challenge was when I hit the premier league. This season, I actually spent by far more games in the 10-6, and 5-1 was the easier task.

• Cool 5

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,026 posts
17,526 battles
Just now, KSN said:

Thank you, and that makes sense. Did WGing say why they made the change?

Not directly, but it's almost certainly because of the Tier transition that is present in this season (T8 to T10 at rank 10) that was not present in previous seasons. Being able to drop out of R10 would have meant dropping out of T10, which is logistically problematic (retraining captains, etc.).

• Cool 1

Members
567 posts
80 battles
1 hour ago, KSN said:

I agree with everything you said 100%.  Now all WG needs to do is pick up a dictionary and realize that based on how the award/penalty system works in that game mode, they need to change the name from Ranked to Grind.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
5,526 posts
18,770 battles

I was all set to rant on about elitest attitudes....

And then I read the post.

I'm a proud 48% potato.

I understand how to be a 70% Unicom, just not the ability.

You have stated my sentiments exactly. 

Kudos to you and that great click bait title.

• Cool 2

[BOTES]
Members
2,109 posts
7,568 battles

By definition, if they're sub 50 overall within the ranked mode, they aren't making it into higher ranks on their own. Either you win more than you lose or you don't advance. Here's why those players are getting into higher ranks:

1. Lower threshold. You don't have to deserve to stay in the second league to stay there anymore. Fail into R10 and you're there forever.
  2. Declining skill levels. Getting to the second league doesn't mean what it did in previous seasons. Skill is relative. The more shitters in the league, the farther you go before skill matters. Ranks are just numbers; their meaning is derived from the ease of getting to those ranks. If every rank was irrevocable, you wouldn't say that a 45%er who failed his way to R1 after 600 matches was equal to someone who earned their place after 150 matches.

Ranks never mattered and now they matter even less. Ranked is a stupid game mode for insane people who don't mind playing 100+ horribly unfun games for relatively insignificant rewards. Thank god WG will add functionality to earn Ranked rewards through CW instead.

Edited by awildseaking
  • Cool 1

[O7]
Members
595 posts
10,376 battles

All the good players ranked out so it's only the weak players [edited] left now. 

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
20,152 posts
6,159 battles

It's easy to remember the bad players on your team that contributed to your defeat.

Not so the bad ones on the other team that contribute to your victory. 

To most of us, most of the time, victory seems earned, defeat is undeserved.

TL:DR, consider that Bad players can be in your team or the other team. Except it's harder to see them there. 

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
10,157 battles

Most "elites" hate ranked, because they can't go in with their division pals while on coms, and therefor end up with a very pedestrian winrate. A lot of them refuse to even play ranked because of it. I think it causes them some cognitive dissonance, since they've deluded themselves into thinking they are much better than others.

On the other hand, there's a difference between an unskilled player trying to do their best, and an ignorant potato that just wants to ignore the rest of the team and yolo around. In my experience, these players think they are really good, and ignore suggestions and advice from the other team, such as, "OMG dude, just sail to A1 and we have it won. Don't start firing and making yourself detected." Course, what do they do?

Give me sub 50% players who play as a team, over 50+ players who only care about themselves, any day of the week.

• Cool 6

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
2,686 posts
14,359 battles
36 minutes ago, Lensar said:

over 50+ players who only care about themselves

The Forces would like to have a word with you! Resistance is futile.

If 1 team member decided to yolo, and the rest of the team wanted a team base game, try your best to come first so 1st if it a loose, you dont loose a star; 2nd if it a win, it a Win; 3rd if you cant handle it, have a break. HAVE A KIT KAT!

1,764 posts
10,760 battles

Personally playing Ranked is making me a better player; but I hold no love for those that purposely defy common sense, practical requests from team mates and work against the team - those are a different breed entirely. But the players that are trying, they get lumped in with those that are simply trolling matches and are trying to play WoWS as a single player game.

[TATER]
[TATER]
Beta Testers
56 posts
1 hour ago, KSN said:

but I hold no love for those that purposely defy common sense, practical requests from team mates and work against the team - those are a different breed entirely.

6 hours ago, KSN said:

So while we may not be as good as you 'oh great one', we'll play when we like, and what we like, whenever we like.

I wonder if you can see the irony in these statements, or if this is deliberate trolling

1,764 posts
10,760 battles
9 hours ago, xEvilReeperx said:

I wonder if you can see the irony in these statements, or if this is deliberate trolling

Nuance. The difference between match trolls and those that are actually trying.

1,764 posts
10,760 battles
8 hours ago, chewonit said:

https://na.wows-numbers.com/season/id,9/?order=battles__desc#leaderboard

Yes. These "top players" totally earned the right to ruin other players' games. 

Why'd you run up to and stop at Rank 10?

Belittling other's effort, no matter what you think of it, is unbecoming; seems to me, they put in the time and effort to reach Rank 1, while you are just preserving a statistic that leaves you only at Rank 10. So yeah they earned it - it's a competition, and everyone of those 49%'s beat you at it.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,192 posts
10,680 battles
16 hours ago, KSN said:

ac506b14-4cc8-11e5-8346-ac162d8bc1e4_120

Regards,

and THIS is why players hate unicums "he should be banned because he didnt play like i think he should have"

• Cool 1