Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_BBaby

Need some help (what would you do)

11 comments in this topic

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,059 posts
4,304 battles

So a little backstory... I play BBs almost exclusively. I just like how they are forgiving, fun, historical, and probably have the lowest skill floor, meaning you aren't playing catch-up to a bunch of unicums, you can just walk in and be above average. Literally 85% of my total games are in battleships:Smile_Default:

However, there is always times I have realized that playing Bbs not a good thing to do. In clan battles, I weighed my team down heavily relying on the rental ships... I wasnt terrible in them, but it had an effect on everybody else. They had to play out of their comfort zone because I was a new guy who plays battleships. Also there is the Yamamoto missions. It is actually impossible to play past the first level (?) unless you play cruisers, so I have made 0 progress to the special commander and an actual [edited]load of loot. Now, I have seen that there is a new scenario in the making that uses only tier 7 allied cruisers. Not that it is a huge deal, but it got me thinking that I'm seriously missing out by not doing cruisers. 

As you all know, there is a cruiser split coming up, and the Cleveland is getting a considerable bump. Is it worth dropping 75k xp and getting a HUGE head start on a cruiser line? I realize that I can play BBs all damn day long, but sometime I will run out of ships to grind and the game will lose a lot of its luster, so I will turn to cruisers. Is now a good time to get started? I feel like it would be nice to finish up my battleships, but do I really want to put my fellow clanmates and rewards off for that long (4 stock tier 8s I gotta get to 10, but with flags and premium). Also its obviously not a smart idea to essentially start at tier 8... I understand the mechanics of cruiser gameplay, but in actual practice I know Ill noob it up. Also I would be dipping into my Musashi funds. I pretty much try to buy/get/earn every BB I can...

Which cruiser lines would be the best, if I dont want to use Cleveland hacks? I was thinking Germany. America looks fun-ish, and Japan and British look okay too. RN CLs are pretty unforgiving though

So what would you do?

TL;DR a BB lover needs to start cruisers. Free xp to tier 8 (Cleveland) or finish Bbs first then start from scratch?

Thanks!:Smile_child:

tbh half the reason I post these things is so I can think through it myself... Post-writing this Im leaning towards start from scratch after I finish my BBs, which is the complete opposite of what I was thinking an hour ago...

Edited by _1204_

[HINON]
Members
12,674 posts

You can finish those campaigns with only bbs by repeating the generic xp and credit missions afaik. 

• Cool 1

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

Kinda a tough call. 

If you own some of the cruisers when they split, you can actually sell the regular ships you just bought/owned.

As far as which Line to run, that's kinda up to you and if you see yourself going up to T10. Lots of good ships up there, but you gotta deal with some crap ships along the way.

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
2,722 posts
14,420 battles

German cruiser line is very good, all rounder purpose ship. I actually get to t10 first in German cruiser line.

For the huge benefit, you should get the Cleveland now in preparation for the soon split. You can then leave it in port and gain the benefit and come back at later stage.

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,108 posts
1 hour ago, _1204_ said:

So a little backstory... I play BBs almost exclusively. I just like how they are forgiving, fun, historical, and probably have the lowest skill floor, meaning you aren't playing catch-up to a bunch of unicums, you can just walk in and be above average. Literally 85% of my total games are in battleships:Smile_Default:

However, there is always times I have realized that playing Bbs not a good thing to do. In clan battles, I weighed my team down heavily relying on the rental ships... I wasnt terrible in them, but it had an effect on everybody else. They had to play out of their comfort zone because I was a new guy who plays battleships. Also there is the Yamamoto missions. It is actually impossible to play past the first level (?) unless you play cruisers, so I have made 0 progress to the special commander and an actual [edited]load of loot. Now, I have seen that there is a new scenario in the making that uses only tier 7 allied cruisers. Not that it is a huge deal, but it got me thinking that I'm seriously missing out by not doing cruisers. 

As you all know, there is a cruiser split coming up, and the Cleveland is getting a considerable bump. Is it worth dropping 75k xp and getting a HUGE head start on a cruiser line? I realize that I can play BBs all damn day long, but sometime I will run out of ships to grind and the game will lose a lot of its luster, so I will turn to cruisers. Is now a good time to get started? I feel like it would be nice to finish up my battleships, but do I really want to put my fellow clanmates and rewards off for that long (4 stock tier 8s I gotta get to 10, but with flags and premium). Also its obviously not a smart idea to essentially start at tier 8... I understand the mechanics of cruiser gameplay, but in actual practice I know Ill noob it up. Also I would be dipping into my Musashi funds. I pretty much try to buy/get/earn every BB I can...

Which cruiser lines would be the best, if I dont want to use Cleveland hacks? I was thinking Germany. America looks fun-ish, and Japan and British look okay too. RN CLs are pretty unforgiving though

So what would you do?

TL;DR a BB lover needs to start cruisers. Free xp to tier 8 (Cleveland) or finish Bbs first then start from scratch?

Thanks!:Smile_child:

tbh half the reason I post these things is so I can think through it myself... Post-writing this Im leaning towards start from scratch after I finish my BBs, which is the complete opposite of what I was thinking an hour ago...

What I would do , if I were you, is make out a living will, specifying that I not be kept alive by artificial means. I say this because playing that many battleships would undoubtedly cause me to lapse into a persistent vegetative state.

As for the cruisers, just pick one and go with it. If you don't like them, switch to another. BTW, dropping a buttload of free xp to start at higher tiers is the surest way to suck at whatever line you pick.

Members
623 posts
8,795 battles

If you are brand new to cruisers I would also suggest the Germans, they are well-rounded(can snipe/kite, island-hug, or brawl a bit) and have above-average survivability starting w/Yorck.

There are other excellent lines but they tend to have more specialized playstyles or higher skill-floors for beginners.

edit: oh and please do not use free XP to skip up a line, that is a recipe for failure. Play each ship in the line(you need the experience to learn) and use free XP to research modules so you dont play stock ships.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger
  • Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles

I'm going to recommend the IJN cruisers.  As long as you don't /try/ to torpedo people, they are very good. 

[TLW]
[TLW]
Members
23 posts
6,373 battles

Do you have a Stalinium allergy? Russian guns always shoot to aim points. 

Yes seriously you should play cruisers. German line is so far my first and only T10. But don’t forget the Russian and French lines.  Do forget RN CL, all DDs are more forgiving. 

If you want to shoot at longer range like a BB, French and Russian lines are both good picks.  Love my T8 chapayev.  

Pick german, russian, french, or IJN.  Try the T5  in one of those lines and if you hate how it plays, try a different line. 

US and RN are filthy island huggers , you have been warned. 

Members
165 posts

Since you love BBs so much, use the free XP for Musashi.  The USN CL branch is going to be one of the harder lines to learn and do well in, so you are setting yourself up for frustration if you try to start that at tier 8. Also, you are more likely to lose credits in a high tier game if you don’t do well, which, given your relative lack of experience in cruisers, will be a common occurrence.

I used to play mostly battleships too, but I’m having way more fun in my Russian cruisers.  I don’t think I’ll ever go back to BBs!  My next line will probably be the German line, or maybe the American heavy cruisers.

[C-1]
Members
438 posts
8,687 battles

Simple Playstyles: Run around shooting things and avoid getting hit while doing so.

If you like to camp in the back, the Russian line is good. Best long-range flamethrowers in the game (regarding cruisers that is). With the added spotter planes, your accuracy shoots up as well as the range. Stick back to the edge of your firing range and start firing off HE. Keep moving and use WSAD hacks to avoid enemy fire and it's about the easiest line to play. TIP: The last cruiser in this line is a lightly armored Battleship for all intents and purposes. Later on you get Radar, so really it's the Bias everyone's been talking about.

German Line would be the second easiest in terms of survivability and damage output. A little bit different than Russian cruisers, but still, overall good range, hitting power, and survivability. With this line, you might just want to give those AP shells a try. They are pretty powerful and never hesitate to use them against a broadsided target. Torps might be a bit short on range, but they do come in handy from time to time around the islands. <Still not a main weapon though and you are best not getting into ranges where they might come into play; if you can help it. Also, tier 10 might as well be a BB.

French Line would be my third choice. Not the best in any one field, but certainly not the worst. They've got good guns (I think the largest caliber at tier 10 of all the cruisers), decent range, and armor all down the line. Basically, each ship you progress to through the tiers is a upgrade from the previous one and they all play just about the same. Even better, the torps on these things have some decent range and workable firing angles.

Next line would be Japanese. First couple of ships are weird and a little later the turret traverse is a bit slow, and then a little later after that the torps you get you might as well ignore them due to weird firing angles that put you into a dangerous position. But (weird torp angles aside) at tier 7 onwards, these are some pretty darn good ships. Decent heavy hitting guns, great armor for a cruiser, and it's got torpedo's that can surprise a enemy as long as you don't do something stupid and try to turn around to use them looking down the barrels of a BB loaded with AP. These too are HE flame throwers, but you have to get a bit closer (which is why they are not at the top as your survival is less guaranteed due to that). But to make up for that, they do have better concealment.

Unique Playstyles: Needs some grey matter use if you want to stay alive long enough to make a difference.

First down the "use your head" list would be the British. Well, for me; but that's only because I like the play style. Aka: large DD's with citadels. This line is going to get you killed regularly if you don't know how to use cover, stealth, and smoke. These are ninjas and should be treated as such. Get into a favorable position, pop smoke, and start firing a stream of AP at anything broadside to you. You can regularly get a chance to use your torps as well and I would not hesitate to do so when I'm around islands. Your only real concern are cruisers with Radar and the occasional DD that undercuts your own concealment (you can also switch out smoke for radar if you want to hunt down DD's and other cruisers within smoke; though I would never personally do that). I won't lie, you will die very quickly the moment you are seen. So play smart and stay hidden because there is no forgiveness in this line.

US cruisers are the ones that have the strangest setup, in that they are almost 100% support ships or in situations where they need a island (or any cover) to be effective. Few US cruisers can carry a team. That's not to say that US cruisers don't contribute to victories, I just personally wouldn't go off to a 1 vs 1 event with them and especially against a BB. The only line at tier 10 with no torps so you're definitely gonna want some backup if facing a tier 10 BB. Even the dreaded Des Moines doesn't exactly stand out that much when pitted against other nations tier 10 cruisers. Fastest reload in the game with some decent punch is all it has going for it really.

Good news is (at least for tier 8+), they've all got radar and this is their biggest attribute; I'd dare say even above your guns... which is kinda sad considering that your guns are the only offensive tools you have and they aren't bad but they will struggle to take out a ship alone and impossible if you are firing at a frigging DD around 15km's out (so they need to stay close to others for their support but also close enough to the enemy to get the rainbow shells to land on a tiny moving target; or avoid those long-shots and sit back quietly and say sorry to the poor guys that are getting torn apart by said enemy DD >_<). They also have some of the best AA in the game (Brit. Monitor wins at tier 10 though); kinda meh if there are no CV's playing. If there are CV's then, again, no sense hogging it all to yourself (stick close to others to provide assistance). You don't want to push up and be the center of attention (and if a enemy starts looking your way, run to the nearest island), so if you do want to support those Yolo DD's that rush caps early on, expect to die or expect to be stuck behind an island (at least your Radar goes through them).

Basically, the US line is the toughest line to figure out. If you can manage to do so, it is just as good (if not better in some areas) than others. A US cruiser is the bane of any DD or British cruiser. And if another enemy cruiser makes the mistake of showing its broadside to one of them, it will learn quickly it's mistake; coupled with some decent concealment, you can pick and choose when to engage. Will also say that they can actually (and surprisingly) tank very well on the front... I could write an entire report on this line for what it's strengths and/or weaknesses are, but summarized: It's not the easiest line to play or master. Cleveland's a good run and gun ship, but you want to play more stealthy and pick your shots. Also, don't let the enemy get at your sides and don't try to bow tank. The Cleveland is always a blast regardless and I would suggest getting it even if you don't continue up the line.

Edited by Levits
  • Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
4,746 posts
14,466 battles
18 minutes ago, Levits said:

They've got good guns (I think the largest caliber at tier 10 of all the cruisers),

For the moment. With paper Russian battlecruisers coming on line that will be called cruisers...

Sign in to follow this