You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
legoboy0401

The Jianwei: Tier V British Minsk Jack-Of-All-Trades

12 comments in this topic

[WOLFA] legoboy0401
3,027 posts
1,915 battles

(Disclaimer: This is my opinion)

This is not a bad ship. Certainly not while there are ships like Mutsuki and T-22 at Tier V, (and the Podvoisky which everybody wants to play but nearly everybody sucks at) that's for sure.

It plays like an adapted Podvoisky(same reload, same amount of guns, but with slightly more range but less damage and worse angles) with amazing torps(they're amazing when you actually get opportunties to use them) that are usable. (only just, and they aren't usable against DDs, but nearly anything is better than Podvoisky's torps)

It has basically the same terrible gun angles as Minsk, Leningrad, and Aigle, but the guns themselves feel like Gallant(or the Dunkirk RN DD,  I don't remember it's name right now) guns but with slightly worse dispersion and 3 seconds longer reload in exchange for having 5 guns(Gallant, of course, has 4) a tier lower, a 0.8 km range advantage, and a tiny shell velocity increase(814 m/s v.s Gallant's 808 m/s) and therefore a slightly lower shell arc.

The torpedoes are... forget the(deep-water) torpedoes. You aren't going to be using them much unless you have at least a 10 point captain, and even when you do, there's only a maximum of a 0.4 km stealth-torp window. This thing ain't a torpedo boat, and there's little point in using her torpedoes unless all the enemy DDs are dead,  the enemy CVs are dead, non-existent, AFK or not really paying any attention to destroyer-spotting, there aren't any RN Cls or radar cruisers(Payfast, Atlanta, Indianapolis, and soon another Premium american Tier VII CL with radar) and you wager that the enemy BBs are pretty dumb.

The beauty of this ship lies in her abilities to both speed tank( and therefore shoot while visible, Jianwei is almost as good as Podvoisky at this) and fire from smoke in a way that is quite practical(with really good smoke and almost no downtime between smoke charges). Most destroyers have to choose one or the other, making Jianwei uniquely able to adapt to whatever playstyle the currently unfolding situation in battle demands.

Of course, there's always a downside, and that is that the Jianwei is a pretty darn bad knifefighter. Her torps can't be used against DDs, her gun reload time is long, and she doesn't have a great amount of health compared to something like a Nicholas(or a Podvoisky, for that matter)

For this reason Pan-Asian DDs aren't generally scouts, but fit somewhere in-between KMS(the spearhead, with excellent knife-fighting capability and hydro tier VI+) and Soviet DDs(second line, played generally like cruisers in the main branch of them)

But, as a plus for Jianwei in particular, Tier V is a very bad tier for almost all non-premium DDs, as most aren't great with their guns anyway, and few people understand how to play the Nicholas well.

Up-tiering is another problem for Jianwei, but at least, at Tier VII, Radar hasn't filtered down to the tech tree ships yet. But also, this is not a problem just for the Jianwei, either.

Nicholas with good player < Mahan with good player

Podvoisky with good player = Minsk with good player(just about, because Minsk is bad, but still, it's an up-hill battle for Podvoisky, as it always is for Tier V DDs up against Tier VII ones)

T-22 with good player(highly unlikely) < Leberecht Maass with good player(there's no contest here. One is a mediocre torp boat with awful guns, the other is a solid middle-of-the-road Tier VII gunboat DD with more health, actually good guns(but nothing fancy like the Tier VI or VIII) and hydro, as well as more and better torps)

Mutsuki wGP < Akatsuki wGP(majorly so, because Mutsuki is really bad, not because Akatsuki is especially good. Then again, Mahan isn't super awesome either, and it still whoops the Nicholas easily)

Minekaze v Shiratsuyu(no contest here either, Minekaze was never a great knifefighter, and the Poi-boat has okay guns, something the Minekaze does not have)

and yes, Jianwei with good player < Gadjah Mada with good player(because Gadjah Mada is incredible)

With that said, Jianwei is okay against the Poi-boat(assuming you dodge the torps), but the rest still holds true.

But hey, at least the Jianwei is pretty good top-tier, or even in a tier vi battle

• Cool 2

[TF16B] Estimated_Prophet
7,748 posts
16,395 battles

Nice write up; but will have to take your word for it.

Only use Anshan and Lo Yang, when I even do play PA. So far have refused to even touch any of the other destroyers.

[WOLFA] legoboy0401
3,027 posts
1,915 battles

I would highly recommend them. If you can get past the one downside of the deepwater torpedoes(that is, that they can't hit DDs, and by the way, this goes both ways, you can't actually accidentally torp yourself either!), you will find a very very nice line indeed. Oh, and those torps, they can hit cruisers, if you didn't know, and they are the best last-ditch weapon I've ever come across. The upgraded torpedoes on the Jianwei in particular, are darn near OP. They are: 

Spoiler

super stealthy, down to 0.8 km detection from the previous ships in the line's 1.1 km detection

they have: insane damage for Tier V torpedoes, and a half-decent speed, too, as well as a reasonably short reload.

Not to mention, there are 6(!) of the things. 4 of them would be terrifying enough, but having 6 of some of the strongest torpedoes in Tier V, second to practically no one in this regard, makes the Jianwei one of the strongest of the non-premium Tier V DDs. 

[WOLFC] Optio_Praetorii
In AlfaTesters
[WOLFC]
614 posts
7,709 battles

Nice write up, finally back into the game and trying out the line (got the Anshan way back at release, then the Lo Yang).  Jianwei is fun once you realize you can't use the torps as much as you did in the previous ship...oh that one is mighty fun with battleships. :)

Can't wait for the Fushun, sounds like that even gets better.

[BBP] _MiDKnighTx_
333 posts
3,653 battles

Jianwei was the worst ship of the PA DD line IMO.  I can honestly say that every PA ship from T2 to T10 is pretty great for its tier.  Except for Jianwei...

[WOLFA] legoboy0401
3,027 posts
1,915 battles
15 minutes ago, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

Jianwei was the worst ship of the PA DD line IMO.  I can honestly say that every PA ship from T2 to T10 is pretty great for its tier.  Except for Jianwei...

Nah, I found the tier two kind of subpar, and not really that good in a DD + light cruiser-heavy meta(which the low tiers are) I think the only real let-down of the Jianwei is the poor torp range, which, while frustrating, is partially made up for by the fact that you finally have guns of a high enough caliber to not shatter every shell on the lightest of armor without IFHE(which is expensive, and usually a skill that is better taken with points 11-15 rather than 6-10), which is really nice.

The reason why many find it the low-point is it has the least workable torps of all the Pan-Asian DDs. At tier IV is a dd with great torps but shatter-prone guns, and at Tier VI is a DD with hefty guns and(fully-upgraded) very practical, usable torps

At tier V though, we have this boat with tolerable(although not yet great) guns and very "eh" torps, of which nothing really jumps out at you as spectacular or anything really unique, except maybe the damage.

But the strengths of the Jianwei are threefold: semi-rarity(the less you encounter a ship, the less you are aware of its existence and how to deal with it), frequent underestimation(people think its trash and are therefore surprised when it doesn't just lay down and die for want of being an OP ship), and flexibility[if it doesn't do any job or play any style overly well, it doesn't suffer as much when it has to do a different job/play a different style as overly specialized ships might(looking at you, Asashio)].

7 posts
3,598 battles
Posted (edited)

I've had some of my best games in it.

5 kills, 104k damage, high caliber, not bad as a low tier dd

Edited by steve6027

[BOMBS] Professor_Jumbo
31 posts
687 battles

Never had a good game in Jianwei.  Maybe it's just me, it seems like people can see me just fine in smoke.  This only happens in Jianwei, I'll pop my smoke, circle behind and back into it, slow down, and get immediately lit up by everybody on the enemy team.   I don't mean the few blind fire pot shots you expect, I mean tons of very accurate fire every single time.   Never happened in any other DD. 

[WOLFA] legoboy0401
3,027 posts
1,915 battles
On 7/3/2018 at 7:23 AM, Professor_Jumbo said:

Never had a good game in Jianwei.  Maybe it's just me, it seems like people can see me just fine in smoke.  This only happens in Jianwei, I'll pop my smoke, circle behind and back into it, slow down, and get immediately lit up by everybody on the enemy team.   I don't mean the few blind fire pot shots you expect, I mean tons of very accurate fire every single time.   Never happened in any other DD. 

it's good in a BB-heavy meta, but definitely not in a DD or CL-heavy one. Oh, and CV-heavy metas? You can forget being stealthy.

87 posts
1,721 battles

I'm having mixed experiences in Jianwei. In general I do decent in her, but I'm really need to get the hang of those deepwater torps.

[ARGSY] Ensign_Cthulhu
4,650 posts
3,303 battles
On 5/28/2018 at 6:08 PM, legoboy0401 said:

or the Dunkirk RN DD,  I don't remember it's name right now

Anthony.

I have a love-hate relationship with Jianwei. I want to like her because she's basically a Royal Navy Broke-class destroyer leader and I'm looking forward to the British destroyers. But those DWT...

I need to get back in her and give her a chance.

Mahrs
1,495 posts
4,055 battles

I r3ally love Shenyang. The guns move decently, they shoot flat, they hit hard, she moves at 39 knots...if you pick a gunfight with Shen, you better have your craptogether, because Shen is controlling that engagement and landing shells every salvo if the Captain is any good. Shenyang exists at a tier where people are still aggressive, and it’s likewise easy to get the torpedoes doing work.  I feel like Shenyang is my Isokaze(pre-nerf), my Izyaslav, my Clemson...OK, once upon a time, all the Tier IV DD were badass, but Shenyang is my flavor. I got  PA Dasha, and Shenyang might be her forever home.

I was initially happy to get Jianwei and a Captain with CE - then I realized that the campy, high tier meta is permeating into mid tier play, and since everyone is running away from everyone when they’re not camping behind rocks, the torps are much less usable. I figured “eh, no worries, I’ve got 5 guns...I can make this work.”  I can remember taking my usual aim with the crosshairs backed out one click...and then thinking “where the f@#$ did those shells go?” Couldn’t even see the impact, let alone put them on target. Perhaps my computer was running slowly, maybe it was lag...I had to take a bigger lead with these guns and endure shell flight worse than anything I had experienced in WoWS to this point.

I'm still a Jianwei newbie, but my initial impression was not favorable. The good news is that I don’t have to run her long. I didn’t learn about the line much before starting, but I loved Shenyang enough that I spent some of my doubloons to pick up Anshan during the anniversary sale. My hope is that the Shenyang guns come back, or something like them.