You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

Has WG responded to complaints over Cleveland's crappy guns?

16 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts

Initially, we were told that the new T8 Cleveland would have the same mediocre guns it had at T6.

The community flew into a rage.

I have been trying to find out if there was a buff in response but now suspect that the guns will remain as before.

So what's the deal?

:cap_wander:     

[HINON]
Supertester
21,338 posts
15,057 battles

Don't expect the guns to change. Those are the guns and shells she had historically.

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,616 battles

I've not had a problem with her guns. People need to learn how to aim.

I've hit a moving DD at max range with those guns, and with 5"/38s too.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

[NDA]
Supertester
5,236 posts
15,711 battles
2 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

Its not an easy shot to hit a destroyer at max range with Cleveland guns but it can be done. However when I have to do it it ends up looking more like an area saturation than sniper fire lol. But I think if a person can land hits using either the USN DD guns or the Atlanta they should not have much problem using the Cleveland guns. Honestly I see the Cleveland as the trainer ship for hitting moving targets at long with guns that have floaty arches. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,277 posts
5,805 battles
3 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

Doom is on target! Cleveland has been a real bruiser in so many matches and in skilled hands downright devastating. At T8 she may be somewhat marginalized depending on MM but I'm confident she'll be able to hold her own.

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts
7 minutes ago, Jim_Byrnes said:

Doom is on target! Cleveland has been a real bruiser in so many matches and in skilled hands downright devastating. At T8 she may be somewhat marginalized depending on MM but I'm confident she'll be able to hold her own.

Take a moment to imagine her with her super short gun range in a T10 game.

Jesus wept.

:Smile_sad:

• Cool 2

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts
16 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

I once took out a CV at 26 Km with my North Carolina and won't deny that there was an element of luck in that shot.

[XBRTC]
Members
2,881 posts
9,089 battles
4 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Jesus wept.

They did give Cleveland a range buff. I think the base range now is up to something like 16.7. Can't remember the exact number, but it's somewhere between 16 and 17.

Just be glad they have time compression in-game. The real time-of-flight for a long-range shot with the 6"/47 gun would have been about 45 seconds, in the real world.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,277 posts
5,805 battles
8 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Jesus wept.

I think in a pure T10 match maybe... But that said playstyle is the key. I don't rush in with Mogami or Kutuzov Cleveland will be no different...

[LEGIO]
Members
3,308 posts
6,323 battles

They are very unsuitable with the current state of gameplay only the RN cruisers with smoke can hope to close the distance and engage at short range in higher tiers.

Historically having a moderate muzzle velocity really wasn't much of a disadvantage as ships weren't maneuvering and adjusting speed like crazy during combat due to the nature of obtaining and keeping a fire control solution on the enemy. It also allowed for a higher trajectory which is good for enabling deck penetrations, something the USN placed high emphasis on starting in the 1930s.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
707 posts
4,742 battles

I believe the guns get a range and ROF buff, but the shells are the same. I'm perfectly fine with that since it increases DPM and lets her keep up with typical engagement distances at tier 8. If they did nothing to impact DPM, then that would be a problem.

Members
1,182 posts
5,156 battles

I've never had an issue with the Cleveland's base14.6 km floaty shells at tier 6, but I do hope they buff the max range for her move to tier 8. Maybe we will be able to upgrade the Gun Fire Control System to increase the range some. Otherwise, she will have the shortest range guns at tier 8 for a cruiser by 0.8 km.

Members
1,771 posts
6,729 battles

14.6km range? Great, easier to become unconceiled.

Slow shells? Great, finally something else besides the laser arc guns.

Looking forward to a more difficult cruiser line.

[SALVO]
Members
21,703 posts
22,016 battles
1 hour ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Jesus wept. :Smile_sad:

Consider this, Blasto.  If you had the same short gun range but with faster, lower shell trajectories, you'd be in a worse situation, because you wouldn't be able to hide behind islands and lob shells over them.  As annoying as floaty shell trajectories can be, those high, floaty trajectories come in handy when you NEED to hide behind islands and lob shells from behind hard cover to stay unspotted and safe.

I once took out a CV at 26 Km with my North Carolina and won't deny that there was an element of luck in that shot.

No doubt.  But the reality is that luck is an element of ALL gunfire in this game because RNG is involved.  The skill come in because you try to aim the best you can to increase your chances of getting a hit or hits.  But, of course, at that great of a range, the usual chance to hit is so low that getting any hit can seem like dumb luck. 

But just for a reality check, imagine if guns in WoWS were modeled using historical hit rates, where a 5% hit rate was considered good, at least around the WW1 era.  This would have made gun duels at almost any range feel like getting hits was blind, dumb luck.  It's actually pretty nice that in WoWS, a main gun hit rate of 25% is very achievable and pretty decent.

Members
309 posts

Jesus wept.

What about it. Des Moines is viable at T10 with 16 km range and the reload module, and often works at even lower ranges.

No reason Cleveland can't manage with the same.