You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
francesabyss

Captains for sale in shop with perks.Pay to win pay to win.

81 comments in this topic

Members
182 posts
740 battles

Captains are in shop for sale with perks.

Better than any freeloader captain so yes thats awesome.

If you dont support the game with cash then you dont deserve a captain with perks.

But the game is free.............

No the game is obviously not free or else there would be no game.

The end.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 5
  • Bad 8
  • Angry 1

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,806 battles

My only problem is that they are selling Captains what you could not yet have earned.  Time is money and money is time, so I can't do every captain mission.  I got Horneé but I didn't play during Steven Seagal time, so having him on sale makes sense for me to buy.  What doesn't make sense is selling a German captain...and the recent one-week mission for the Russian commander shows that this is their plan from now on - they are going to be greedy and offer a ridiculously smol amount of time to get your captain, reasoning that you will buy him otherwise.

whatever I don't care.  I don't need Bert Dunkerk to play the Minotaur any more than I need a Spood Fleg to play my ships well.

• Cool 3

Members
182 posts
740 battles
Just now, Big_Tidday_Goth_GF said:

My only problem is that they are selling Captains what you could not yet have earned.  Time is money and money is time, so I can't do every captain mission.  I got Horneé but I didn't play during Steven Seagal time, so having him on sale makes sense for me to buy.  What doesn't make sense is selling a German captain...and the recent one-week mission for the Russian commander shows that this is their plan from now on - they are going to be greedy and offer a ridiculously smol amount of time to get your captain, reasoning that you will buy him otherwise.

whatever I don't care.  I don't need Bert Dunkerk to play the Minotaur any more than I need a Spood Fleg to play my ships well.

I got 2 french 10 point captains from the aigle mission thing for france.

I also earned steven hes at 18 points.

[HINON]
Members
10,089 posts

Considering you can earn the unique captains in game, this is not pay to win. Try again.

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
57 posts
2,838 battles

Wanted to buy one as gift, but can't. Wouldn't have minded giving up my one chance to buy for that.

Members
182 posts
740 battles
5 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Considering you can earn the unique captains in game, this is not pay to win. Try again.

Bit twitchy sonny. You a freeloader?

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[IN3PT]
Members
225 posts
11,843 battles
5 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Yes you can.. But you can also buy a second of each. How is that not pay to win???

It would be different if it was only allowed a single captain. I'm not sure how anyone could not call this pay to win?

So I earned this Soviet guy, and I can haz another for my Stalin? Yes please...

Lol

[LEGIT]
Members
1,480 posts
22,948 battles
17 minutes ago, ENxRagexD said:

Yes you can.. But you can also buy a second of each. How is that not pay to win???

Because buying the captain does not confer a special advantage to the purchaser that is unavailable to those who don't purchase him.  The captain is available if you do the missions.  Agreed; you can buy the captains before the missions are available.  But so what? 

• Cool 2

[WOLF6]
Members
763 posts
6,815 battles

What's wrong with Pay-2-win?  I don't quite understand why helping players along who financially help the company is bad.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

[LEGIT]
Members
1,480 posts
22,948 battles
8 minutes ago, galspanic said:

What's wrong with Pay-2-win?

Pay to win is not the same as pay to play.  Paying in this game does not give the payer a better chance to win.

• Cool 2

[WOLF6]
Members
763 posts
6,815 battles
Just now, slokill_1 said:

Pay to win is not the same as pay to play.  Paying in this game does not give the payer a better chance to win.

Let's assume that's true (I suppose I do), but again, what is inherently wrong with paying to gain an advantage over people who do no financially support the company?

• Bad 3

[PS1HQ]
Members
621 posts

pay to win is awesome.  this game needs more pay to win.  I got a big boy wallet and I'd like to buy some more winning.  

Edited by OstwindFlakpanzer
  • Cool 5
  • Funny 3

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles
1 hour ago, Big_Tidday_Goth_GF said:

i played a few match and got the russian captain.  I've been really slowing down in my wows play .  I expect to have german one pretty quickly as well.       i won't pay for them, but you do get a chance to earn them if you actually have a chance to play a few match.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,022 posts
4,289 battles

I've never understood the angst from some of the player base in a free to play a game like WoWs towards those players that choose to spend money to buy premium ships, premium time, etc. If it wasn't for those players that open up their wallet and drop some coin on the game, then those that play for free wouldn't be able to do so.

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

I for one dont care, I have plenty of discretionary income, and this is a hobby. I spent into the Thousands probably on World of Tanks since 2011. If no one spent money WG would implode. 

They must not teach capitalism in school anymore, need more time to discuss safe places and hurt feelings instead of a free market economy. If you don't want to spend money, don't. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, francesabyss said:

Captains are in shop for sale with perks.

Better than any freeloader captain so yes thats awesome.

If you dont support the game with cash then you dont deserve a captain with perks.

But the game is free.............

No the game is obviously not free or else there would be no game.

The end.

Pay to Win?  Show how you came up with this Idea. 

Advancement at a higher pace is by no means a guarantee of success nor victory.

Franz von Jutland is earnable through the game.

Reinhardt von Jutland is purchasable.

Both have the EXACT same perks.

Are you that insecure in your abilities to obtain either?

Did you cry when your Sister got two cookies and you got one?

There is zero benefits to buying  anything in game other than a time saver.

To those who think there is a Pay to Win anything 

duDh6wk.gif

• Cool 2

[LHG]
Members
1,331 posts
5,482 battles

Being able to buy things that are straight up better than what's available to the nonpaying player is also how you destroy game balance. It's not even like the de Grasse situation where there are technically tradeoffs that don't matter, these captains are just straight better than normal captains. The original captains were a reward for being a dedicated customer who played well, you couldn't just throw money at the tasks to complete them. OP premium ships are usually a result of WG's terrible balancing rather than corporate greed, and most pulled out of the shop indefinitely.

These captains set a terrible precedent, no matter if you think they're worth the money or not. Pay-to-win needs to be called out the moment it starts happening, or the WG will start pushing the boundaries even further.

• Boring 2

[LEGIT]
Members
1,480 posts
22,948 battles
29 minutes ago, galspanic said:

Let's assume that's true (I suppose I do), but again, what is inherently wrong with paying to gain an advantage over people who do no financially support the company?

Well...if there's a perceived advantage through paying money, I'd probably play a different game.  I mean, where does that end?  Nuclear tipped ammo I guess.

[WOLF1]
Members
3,796 posts
1,512 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

Agreed.  They're only 10-pointers.  19 would be different, imo.

[WOLF1]
Members
3,796 posts
1,512 battles
5 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

Being able to buy things that are straight up better than what's available to the nonpaying player

A nonpaying player can *easily* get a 10-point captain.  As usual, it's pay to get faster, not pay to win.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

It makes a difference to me that these are duplicates of the brothers who can be earned through in-game missions in terms of their special skills.  WG also hears complaints from people who were not playing in late 2016, and thus never had the chance to earn Seagal/John Doe, from players who will be away all next week and thus will miss Jutland, etc.  And the bonuses are pretty minor.  I get the angst about PTW, but it seems to me it is better directed elsewhere.

• Cool 1