You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
PIGARD

DD Teamplay and New "PInk without Sink" rules

24 comments in this topic

Members
72 posts
15,048 battles

So some team mate blundered into two torps, didn't sink and I'm given a three game pink?  wth?

meanwhile I whiner in ranked is accusing me of not be a "team player" when I hunt alone.

These new "Pink without sink" rules make the lone hunter a better tactical alternative.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

Beta Testers
3,224 posts
12,937 battles
2 minutes ago, PIGARD said:

I'm given a three game pink?  wth?

And you think this is unfair?

They were torps you fired were they not, if not then WG has to fix something.

If they were yours, why shouldn't you be punished, you damaged a team member, intentionally or not.

or are you saying you should only go pink if you sink them.

How about you watch where you shoot your torps in the first place, that would be a lot easier for you, or are you to blind as to where your team is.

TBH 3 games is nothing and it should be harsher.

As far as ranked goes and hunting alone, were you there to help your team or just save a star.

7 minutes ago, PIGARD said:

These new "Pink without sink" rules make the lone hunter a better tactical alternative.

Dumbest statement I have seen on the forums this week, stick to operations where you can't do team damage 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
10,651 posts
30,023 battles

Nobody blunders into torps. You put them out there, it's your fault. 

Pink is based on accumulated damage. You don't have to sink the other guy to turn pink, just cross some damage threshold. 

[O_O]
Members
5,339 posts
12,262 battles
10 minutes ago, PIGARD said:

So some team mate blundered into two torps, didn't sink and I'm given a three game pink?  wth?

Are you saying it was your team mate's fault for not watching where you launched your torps, but NOT your fault for not watching where you launched your torps? :cap_hmm:

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,635 posts
15,951 battles

First rule: torpedoes have no friends.

Second rule: never launch torpedoes behind friendlies.

Ranked play is TEAM play. Hunting alone means you are worse than being AFK.

At least you know an AFKer is useless.

YOU are not spotting for team, torps or other destroyers.

YOU are not playing the objective: cap points and map control.

Kills rarely win.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,377 posts
11,875 battles
15 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Are you saying it was your team mate's fault for not watching where you launched your torps, but NOT your fault for not watching where you launched your torps? :cap_hmm:

That is exactly what he is saying. It must be a day ending in y, we have someone claiming it wasn't their fault.

2oDMSK7.gif

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
12,994 posts
8,267 battles

I don't mind pink-without-sink (though I wish they would ignore brief hull interactions); what I do object to (if only on a logical basis) is being labelled a teamkiller without having actually sunk someone.

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

This is in the game because we've asked for it for many years.

WGs first reaction to things is always heavy handed, but later down the road they can adjust it.

Although I don't believe in its implementation, it seems to be working.

Three games in co-op will prolly take ya 10 mins each. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,377 posts
11,875 battles
5 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

This is in the game because we've asked for it for many years.

WGs first reaction to things is always heavy handed, but later down the road they can adjust it.

Although I don't believe in its implementation, it seems to be working.

Three games in co-op will prolly take ya 10 mins each. 

You can still work off your pink in randoms unless you are a really bad boy and go orange which only you can see.

[PVE]
Members
9,333 posts
16,577 battles

I am not passing judgement on the OP as some have done without a replay. There are actually times teammates run into your torps and it is their fault not the launcher's fault.  Anyone who says otherwise is either a troll or someone not honest about the situation. Sometimes it is even done on purpose by the person who runs into them.

When I end up accidentally torping a teammate it is almost always because I don't see the friendly green icon behind a close island (WG needs a new color for friendly that doesn't blend into the green foliage on islands)  OR a DD pops a U turn right as I am launching (so I don't see it happening) or right after and comes steaming back full speed right into their path. I have horrible luck with this. I had this happen not long back in my Tirpitz. Posted about it here on the forums. I was last in a line of ships heading for A. We passed a group of bots all clustered between islands. I looked and as no one was behind me, everyone in front was going A and away from the bots, and with no one behind the bots I launched a spread towards them as I went past.

When I glance back up at the map I see a DD had turned while I was making the launch (took a second to do it to get it exactly where I wanted) and is flying back down between all the teammates and the bots. I chatted look out torps and used the Get Back command directly to him and everything. He never altered course at all and ate 2 which made me blow up and go pink for 2 games. My fault? Hardly. Blame for that is solely on the DD or maybe it was even done intentionally (possible as he never fired guns or torps as he went between us all)? I still apologized for it regardless as they were my torps but NO ONE, not even the git gud holier than though crowd on these forums, will ever convince me I was actually at fault. If you change direction and cross back in front of your teammates/between the enemy as they are engaged in a close fight you best be watching for torps. At some point people need to take a bit of responsibility for where they put their ship. It's like running into friendly smoke and ramming the smoke owner or cutting in front of them and getting shot/torped. That isn't on the person in the smoke.

While the person who launches torps ultimately owns them in the end when they hit a friendly ship, and I agree most times it is because the launcher was careless, people get carried away with these threads and the way they always berate the OP's and assume it is their fault. There ARE times when it is not the launchers actual fault. I guess for some that only applies if they are the ones who went pink needlessly right?

OP - a replay would help if you have one. IF you were careless do your pink time and learn from it. If it really wasn't your fault my sympathy. Now go do your pink time either way and move on. Don't let the forum git gud preachers get to you.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
8,038 posts
14,651 battles
1 hour ago, PIGARD said:

These new "Pink without sink" rules

The other new rule is "If you Think, you won't be Pink"

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[90TH]
Members
984 posts
9,237 battles
19 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I am not passing judgement on the OP as some have done without a replay. There are actually times teammates run into your torps and it is their fault not the launcher's fault.  Anyone who says otherwise is either a troll or someone not honest about the situation. Sometimes it is even done on purpose by the person who runs into them.

THIS

I had a similar recent game on North... A map where reds & greens are never very much separated.  I had a clear torp lane from northeast of the red team, and my team was southeast of the reds, behind an island.  Of course a foolish Hindy decides to yolo charge the reds around the island corner, running into my torps.  With the reds & greens in the positions they were, there was no angle at any of the 360-degrees which would be "safe" from idiots like this.  He ate my torps, blocked my torps from the reds, and we both died.  I got reflection damage and had to play co-ops because of this idiot.

• Boring 1

Members
17 posts
2,252 battles

Overly-cautious torp launches will lead to less-aggressive game play. When I get torped, I it's mostly part of aggressive play - I'm in the mix of a close fighting, or I was not paying full attention. In this regard, don't be so lazy-minded to believe that you disregard your team's torps whatsover. In the times when it was a dumb launch, I let that player know - but this is far more rare.

I paired up with an Hipper recently, and we moved so well together -- he expecting and moving for torps and then moving into shell. 

• Cool 1

[WDS]
Members
1,780 posts
8,971 battles

I hit a friendly DD with a torp in the Scharnhorst  2 days ago wasn't paying full attention to were he was my fault I apologized immediately  . Two game pink knocked it of in co op in 20 mins what's the big deal ?

[WOLF2]
Members
1,320 posts
9,277 battles
2 hours ago, PIGARD said:

meanwhile I whiner in ranked is accusing me of not be a "team player" when I hunt alone.

#AnotherVictimPost

It's a three-game pink.  No punishment, just a color.  Get out there and play as normal (just watch the lanes before you launch torps).

No harm done.  Play on.

#NotAVictim

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
9,799 battles
3 hours ago, PIGARD said:

You mean, you flagrantly fired your torps into a teammate and were given a three game pink?

Members
26 posts
4,142 battles

There are some circumstances where the player hit by torps is pretty much at fault.  I was sunk by the new rules for hitting a friendly with two torpedoes who sailed behind the BB I was torping. When I fired he was  totally out of the LOS behind and island and then came out and ran down the inside of the BB. He didn't  sink (in fact took very little damage) but I got a damage penalty which sank me for what to me was a stupid act on his part.

image.png.85a7b1e440855cef2be117322eb20a38.png

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[HEROS]
Members
1,675 posts
14,638 battles

Dear OP.. crap happens.  Be more careful.  And sometimes it's going to happen anyway.   

Had a guy yesterday on the test server I suckered into firing his fish at the wrong time when I could easily avoid them.  Had a cruiser at close shooting at me also. Fired off my torps where the cruiser would see they were fired and I was dry on them for the moment,  ducked around an island "running for my life" and cruiser followed.. right into the friendly torps.  You can almost always count on players NOT paying attention to what going on around them.  

It may not be entirely your fault, but they were your torps.   It's not fair, and short of eliminating friendly target damage theres nothing can be done about it.  Eliminating friendly target damage would dumb this game down to the point it wouldn't be worth playing for me at least so I personally hope they never make it "child safe".  And if you don't think it happens in real life go look in the history books.  USS Atlanta got hammered just as badly by American gun fire at Guadalcanal as IJN gun fire in the middle of a night battle.  And it wasn't the only time there were blue on blue incidents off that island.

[NH]
Members
763 posts
5 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Nobody blunders into torps. You put them out there, it's your fault. 

That's not a factual statement. 

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1,907 battles
5 hours ago, Haleakala said:

Overly-cautious torp launches will lead to less-aggressive game play. When I get torped, I it's mostly part of aggressive play - I'm in the mix of a close fighting, or I was not paying full attention. In this regard, don't be so lazy-minded to believe that you disregard your team's torps whatsover. In the times when it was a dumb launch, I let that player know - but this is far more rare.

It's one thing to launch torps in a agressive-but-risky, knowing you might hit the friendly, but you think it's worth the price.  If I do that, I will apologize to the friendly if I f it up.  I won't blame him, for sure.  I suspect you think the same way on that. 

It's another to just willy-nilly toss out torps with friendlies possibly in the way, and then just shrug and blame the person who ran into them.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,377 posts
11,875 battles
5 hours ago, Haleakala said:

I paired up with an Hipper recently, and we moved so well together -- he expecting and moving for torps and then moving into shell. 

Overly aggressive with torp launches leads to dead/damaged friendly ships. What the player needs to do to aim for the happy medium where they are aggressive but not too aggressive.

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
9,799 battles
7 hours ago, The_African_Queen said:

There are some circumstances where the player hit by torps is pretty much at fault.

No, that is never true.

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
9,799 battles
4 hours ago, mavfin87 said:

It's one thing to launch torps in a agressive-but-risky, knowing you might hit the friendly, but you think it's worth the price.

This. ^^

You can make a conscious decision to launch some risky torps because it's very necessary for the win. But if you do, you need to accept responsibility for what happens, not resort to victim blaming like the OP.