You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

Are Premium Sales Declining?

114 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Members
1,285 posts
7,805 battles

Well if ShipComrade is to be trusted, it seems to my eyes that premiums have been a bit on the thin side in terms of sales this year. Roma started things off decently with 1698 bought and played across the four servers (of course it's in the middle of a return that may be boosting those numbers). Aigle appeared to be very popular with 6045, of course it was also available via a mission. Gascogne saw 932. Despite the prophets of doom, it appears that only 751 Asashios were bought and played across all four servers. By comparison, almost twice as many people played the Varyag at least once. Or if you prefer ships with similar availability (It only saw a week-long return after its initial sale) and tier, the KIdd saw 2434, over three times that of the Asashio. Heck, there are more than twice as many people sailing around in Haung Meh!!! And of the recent Duca Degli, only 269 sales and first games. Thoughts?

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,824 posts
11,180 battles

People get to the point they longer want any premium they throw at the player base, others get mixed reviews, or they are target specific (asashio) which does not play the way people might like to play.

Take the new Z 39, I love playing DD but I will not buy a German premium DD like this one.  It may sell very well on the EU server tho, or to enthusiasts.  It is the same as the Roma, with all that was said about it, by people I know who bought it, a Tirpitz would be just as good, again people love certain ships, and will buy them, just to have them.

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles
15 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Well if ShipComrade is to be trusted, it seems to my eyes that premiums have been a bit on the thin side in terms of sales this year. Roma started things off decently with 1698 bought and played across the four servers (of course it's in the middle of a return that may be boosting those numbers). Aigle appeared to be very popular with 6045, of course it was also available via a mission. Gascogne saw 932. Despite the prophets of doom, it appears that only 751 Asashios were bought and played across all four servers. By comparison, almost twice as many people played the Varyag at least once. Or if you prefer ships with similar availability (It only saw a week-long return after its initial sale) and tier, the KIdd saw 2434, over three times that of the Asashio. Heck, there are more than twice as many people sailing around in Haung Meh!!! And of the recent Duca Degli, only 269 sales and first games. Thoughts?

I think a huge factor is a good portion of this year so far has been clan wars and ranked. Most people do not use the new premiums in ranked and clan wars is all tier 10. I’ll be grinding credits after ranked and that’s when I’ll play some of the new premiums more.

A lot of people have no motivation to buy if they aren’t going to be using them.

Edited by Belyy_Klyk

[NAVY]
Members
1,007 posts
3,756 battles

Wonder how many people took advantage of the WG Steam sale? They had some great deals on the Ashan, Ishizuki, Graf Spee, and Texas. Even if players already owned the ships, they got great value in compensation in the form of doubloons.

• Cool 1

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
4,275 posts
7,830 battles

Makes sense in a way? Premiums are nice and all but a lot of people already have their favorites decided by now, captain trainers are no longer required for people with 19 skill point captains as they can just use captain free exp playing their best ships with all the skills they want. With permanent camos making high tier tech tree ships cheap and profitable to play, Premiums were relegated to collection items mostly.

[TBW]
Members
6,398 posts
12,011 battles

Well if it has to be played to be recognized, you can add 1 Asashio to the list. Mine is still in port, no sea trials as of yet. Huang he-man is a great ship, it brings me more credits than Missouri. Roma I didn't buy because of the silly camo you have to wear to get the max credits (you have to look good out there even if you aren't good) and the bundles haven't had 30 days premium time attached lately.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[WORX]
Members
1,821 posts
12,861 battles

IMO, It goes by what is being played vs what is being sold. Now ranked, the majority of ranked this year is tier 10. There is no tier 10 premiums so the only reason why you would get a premium ship is for,

1. Training captains
  2. Historical significance
  3. Addicted to hoarding every premium ship in the game
  4. OR for events that are upcoming to have that pay for play edge.

IF your judging on how much a premium was played then that is a bad marker to judging sales. I would also keep in mind that WOWS sells other digital products not only ships, just because ship sales maybe low, Flags or crates or even unique commanders sales maybe strong. Cheers!

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles

With the lack of player retention i'm not surprised that premium ships has peaked in sales already. They need to fix more about the game before more players will stick around and buy the expensive premium ships.

• Cool 1

[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,933 battles

19 point captains kinda negate the need for premiums. In addition, most players would have quite a few already at this stage or be quite far into the tech trees.

So premiums now need to have a "hook"- be fun, unique, famous or powerful.

The Kidd, for example, offers a unique playstyle and is powerful. So I imagine it would have done well.

Copy + paste BB (aka IJN stock hulls a tier lower) are not really unique.  Roma and Gascogne do not have the fame of, say, a Bismark or Missouri.

Asashio is very niche.  Even the Z39 is very meh (and I want a KM DD trainer). 

EDIT: Also, premiums are ridiculously overpriced. Paying $50 for a single character in a MMO would seem silly.  I can get 2 full AAA games for $50. That's 40hrs of entertainment, in two whole new games.  I'd have to play 160+ games in a ship to get similar value. And since there's no "try before you buy" it's a gamble. 

Edited by evilleMonkeigh
  • Cool 3

[INTEL]
Members
8,573 posts
25,660 battles
18 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Not many good premiums released. Roma isn't very good and the beer can camo is ridiculous. Asashio isn't useful. Z39 is unappealing. Hood's reputation precedes her: dispersion sucks. 

WG thinks artificial scarcity will induce sales. So players can't get ships they want when they have money. WG hasn't learned... just put all the ships in the shop....

Plus, the best premiums are at T5, 6, and 8. And those are tiers that WG's matchmaking screwup has totally wrecked. 

Prices are too high. I'd pay $20 for Harekaze, but not $43.

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 4

Members
1 post

For some reason WG seems to be desperate to make fast cash in the last year. Do they predict a demise of their games due to market changes? EU is going to introduce new laws that will prohibit any randomness in digital goods. That will in practice prohibit WG from using any kind of RNG in their games, at least on EU servers. It's unlikely that they will release a different software for EU than for other servers. Imagine problems they will face to re balance their games and how that will impact their revenue. So they are rushing tons of premiums and other stuff to make as much cash as they can before EU laws change. This explains why WoT and WoWS premiums are so unbalanced in the recent year. This also explains why we see more stuff like skins, commanders etc. WOT doesn't allow a purchase of premium ammo directly for gold any more and it will change even further. A lot of changes seem to be coming and it already affects the quality of what we get.

• Cool 2

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,771 battles
11 minutes ago, Adalbertt said:

EU is going to introduce new laws that will prohibit any randomness in digital goods.

LOL, I think you have the wrong idea on what this actually means. 

11 minutes ago, Adalbertt said:

That will in practice prohibit WG from using any kind of RNG in their games, at least on EU servers.

So every single video game in the EU needs to be redone, so no RNG is used within the game ? Again LOL.
Can't play poker in the Eu as cards are dealt randomly. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2

Members
1,154 posts
6,917 battles
40 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Not many good premiums released. Roma isn't very good and the beer can camo is ridiculous. Asashio isn't useful. Z39 is unappealing. Hood's reputation precedes her: dispersion sucks. 

WG thinks artificial scarcity will induce sales. So players can't get ships they want when they have money. WG hasn't learned... just put all the ships in the shop....

Plus, the best premiums are at T5, 6, and 8. And those are tiers that WG's matchmaking screwup has totally wrecked. 

Prices are too high. I'd pay $20 for Harekaze, but not $43.

every time i look at the store, i think it would be nice to play x ship.  then i look at the ship, and see its 50+ dollars by itself.  nope.  i can buy several games, or a triple a game for the same price.  a game that i can always go back to, even if the servers are shut off.(SP or coop)  The low tier ships aren't as high, but even they are higher than i think they are worth. 

i can see if you play them all the time, then the time  playing it would be about the same amount you would spend on a triple a title.  so the cost is slightly more justifiable.  i just cant justify paying that price for a single ship. 

nonetheless, i can only wonder how many people would be buying stuff, if things weren't so expensive. 

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
54 minutes ago, Plaatduutsch said:

T-61 would be selling well

Maybe. Destroyers are typically a lower selling vessel anyway.

I also have not played my Asashio, along with World of Warships, since I purchased mine on the first weekend of Ranked. It's too nice outside and there's too much to do, making it hard to find time to play games. (Especially this one!)

I've purchased far less in the past couple years, I let my premium time lapse and have no intention of re-upping until I plan on actually putting some time in and that's going to be awhile.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,554 posts
3,751 battles
18 minutes ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

every time i look at the store, i think it would be nice to play x ship.  then i look at the ship, and see its 50+ dollars by itself.  nope.  i can buy several games, or a triple a game for the same price.  a game that i can always go back to, even if the servers are shut off.(SP or coop)  The low tier ships aren't as high, but even they are higher than i think they are worth. 

i can see if you play them all the time, then the time  playing it would be about the same amount you would spend on a triple a title.  so the cost is slightly more justifiable.  i just cant justify paying that price for a single ship. 

nonetheless, i can only wonder how many people would be buying stuff, if things weren't so expensive. 

Mostly the same for me as well. For 50$ and a bit of searching you can find 2 AAA games that are still pretty new anyway. 

In our case however people, at least on NA, have a special connection to some of the USN ships, historical reasons aside. Some people on the forums have grandparents that served on the ships offered  for sale. That has to also be a reason for the lack of sales in premium ships. I expect Massachusetts to have good sales because of that.

As for me, I took advantage of the Steam Sales, got a large amount of doubloons for far less than I paid for, and I am just waiting for the premiums that interest me to pop up in the tech tree.

[PVE]
Members
1,603 posts
6,754 battles

The problem, at least for me is this when it comes to Premium ships....and I have almost every Premium ship in the game....most of the ones that I have actually spent hard earned money for....SUCK!  Most of those that I got in Santa crates over the past two years....SUCK!  Yes, there a few that I spent money on or got in Santa crates that are fun to play and are worth it but for the most part the rest of them....SUCK!  Now when you figure in the SUCK factor, it gets to the point that unless a Premium ship is going sprout wings and fly, make coffee for you in the morning and wear a giant S on its chest (BOW), I'm not spending any more money on Premium ships, because, you guessed it, they SUCK! 

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,794 posts
4,051 battles

Not much of any real interest to me in the Premium shop of late.  Thought I'd snag the Steam bundles, but I couldn't use Karma Koin for payment, so I didn't grab that.  Wanted the T-61, but WG gave us the Z-39 instead.  Like Canadatron said, I'm almost out of premium time and thinking of letting it lapse.  Getting to the point I'm just tired of 'the grind'.  Mostly the grind for Captain XP.  Then again, what have they offered lately?

• Asashio - Nope.  I've said many times I don't even think this ship belongs in the game.
  • Roma - Give me a way to get the same bonuses without having to wear that ridiculous lamp shade on my head and I'll think about it.
  • Z-39 - Nope.  Want the T-61, not this.
  • Duck with a Bruise - A T6 ship given a heal and slotted into T7.  Nope.

Hood is over priced for what it is.  Put this on sale I might consider it.  I wanted the Warspite, but didn't snag that until WG put it on sale.  But I think most people that wanted Hood for the historical significance have it already.  But premiums need either historical significance, or a unique play style.  Hood, Warspite, Missouri, Enterprise, Kidd, and others fit into the first category.  For me, the Aigle fits the second.  But in either category, I just don't see anything (other than the over priced Hood) in the shop that blows my skirt up.  And this from someone who has a Huang Meh.  

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
15 minutes ago, Judge_Doom said:

The problem, at least for me is this when it comes to Premium ships....and I have almost every Premium ship in the game....most of the ones that I have actually spent hard earned money for....SUCK!  Most of those that I got in Santa crates over the past two years....SUCK!  Yes, there a few that I spent money on or got in Santa crates that are fun to play and are worth it but for the most part the rest of them....SUCK!  Now when you figure in the SUCK factor, it gets to the point that unless a Premium ship is going sprout wings and fly, make coffee for you in the morning and wear a giant S on its chest (BOW), I'm not spending any more money on Premium ships, because, you guessed it, they SUCK! 

Many of the ones I've really enjoyed are "old" and the game just isn't played that way anymore. As the "meta" has shifted it's moved in a direction I really dont enjoy playing. 

Sims is great fun but you just dont want to work as hard as it needs you to work to get her to sing, and then of course there are the changes to the way the ship plays due to things like OWSF being gone and Smoke changes.

I find it odd WG offered refunds for Belfast, Kutuzov, and Perth when changes were made, yet destroyers that got a beating when the OWSF changed kicked in were never offered this buyback (Sims, Blyska, ect)

Combine the fact that changes can be made to the premiums, with lacklustre ships, and you get tepid desire from the people buying. I started out a whale but I'm barely a dolphin at this point. 

Gallant? Aigle? There has been a reason a good selection of premium destroyers have been "free to earn". The replay value on many Premium ships is what is truly lacking at this point. Unless they are OP they aren't worth it sadly. Tree ships take you just as far.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
549 posts
3,605 battles

As a discerning customer (maybe), I like for my premiums to have good reviews and come in a discount bundle.  I paid $63 for my Indy, but it came with $65 worth of stuff (gold, flags, etc...). That means the ship, port slot and 10 point captain cost me -$2.  ;)

If the Molotov were in the same bundle as the Makarov, I would already have it in my port.

Regards,

CS

[4HIM]
Members
1,794 posts
4,051 battles
2 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

Gallant? Aigle? There has been a reason a good selection of premium destroyers have been "free to earn". The replay value on many Premium ships is what is truly lacking at this point. Unless they are OP they aren't worth it sadly. Tree ships take you just as far.

Gallant is quite 'meh'.  But I do enjoy playing the Aigle.  It's one of those hot and cold botes for me.  I either have a big game with good damage numbers, or have a game I'd just as soon forget.  Rarely have an 'average' game in it.  

But yeah, for the price of a premium ship you can do as much or far more with regard to 'captain training' with premium time and flags and camo.  I just don't see the premiums getting any great captain XP boost over a decked out tech tree ship.  

• Cool 1

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
2 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Gallant is quite 'meh'.  But I do enjoy playing the Aigle.  It's one of those hot and cold botes for me.  I either have a big game with good damage numbers, or have a game I'd just as soon forget.  Rarely have an 'average' game in it.  

But yeah, for the price of a premium ship you can do as much or far more with regard to 'captain training' with premium time and flags and camo.  I just don't see the premiums getting any great captain XP boost over a decked out tech tree ship.  

This is what I'm speaking to more than anything Zardoz. 50 bucks is a lot of playtime you need to "extract" to get your value out of the boat.

With the way the game is played you don't get that from them. The novelty wears off long before you play a ship enough. Sometimes they even change how the game works before you've done that. 

Premiums have become less and less valuable over time, and with the cost of them it's hard to justify buying into the "gimmick, novelty, whatever" for a few weeks in the sun, then shelve it.

I find that some of our CC are doing the population a disservice by not letting people know about this angle. I get why they don't do it (we saw that with the exile of former CC) so I'm putting FAR less stock in what the shills have to say than in the past.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,214 battles

There are some pretty outrageous and funny claims in this thread. I particularly liked the idea that someonecan get 2x $60+ dollar items for $50. Last time I checked, 60x2=>51, or arewe saying that if one waits for a few years, once the prices drop, they can get something cheap. In that case, why stop at claiming 2x "triple A games" for $50. Why not wait 10 more years and get 10 triple A games for $50. Oh, would that be too much of a broken measuring stick? 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
4,275 posts
7,830 battles
3 minutes ago, Captain_Dorja said:

There are some pretty outrageous and funny claims in this thread. I particularly liked the idea that someonecan get 2x $60+ dollar items for $50. Last time I checked, 60x2=>51, or arewe saying that if one waits for a few years, once the prices drop, they can get something cheap. In that case, why stop at claiming 2x "triple A games" for $50. Why not wait 10 more years and get 10 triple A games for $50. Oh, would that be too much of a broken measuring stick? 

To be honest, with the way AAA games have sucked as of the last couple years and tossed around for massive discounts a few months after release because they're flopping in popularity, you don't even need to wait 10 years to get them on the cheap anymore. Sometimes it's a matter of weeks before you start seeing 20~30% discounts and up for those.

• Cool 1