You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SeaKnight_1990

Greatest Forgotten Commanders

27 comments in this topic

[BZERK]
Members
711 posts
3,123 battles

Who do you think are some of the most notable captains/admirals that history has largely forgot?

[TBW]
Members
6,399 posts
12,031 battles

I forget. I am thinking if they are forgotten, no one knows them. Hold on going to google it.

I didn't find any forgotten Commanders but I found this site called forgotten books that might be worth a look. If you join it $8.99 /month it seems for unlimited reading. You can download the PDF and check out the books for free but they block like every tenth page or so.

https://www.forgottenbooks.com/en/books/AdmiralsoftheCaribbean_10194967

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
4,546 posts
6,440 battles

Not forgotten but one of the most aggressive captains I know of. John Paul Jones.  Fearless... Refused to be beaten.  Just refused.  My avatar. Read about his exploits. 

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

[BZERK]
Members
711 posts
3,123 battles
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

Not forgotten but one of the most aggressive captains I know of. John Paul Jones.  Fearless... Refused to be beaten.  Just refused.  My avatar. 

"I have not yet begun to fight!"

Members
4,546 posts
6,440 battles
On 5/19/2018 at 1:53 AM, SeaKnight_1990 said:

He won more than that one.  Commanded USS Ranger first before "Good Man Richard" ...Bon Homme Richard. HELL of a fight!  Crazy.  Refused defeat.  I see I got a "boring" for that post. Obviously that came from someone who knows NOTHING about her fight against the HMS Serapis. Nothing.

Edited by dmckay
  • Boring 1

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

The Seleucid Admiral Hannibal Barca, sworn enemy of the Roman Republic. 

220px-Mommsen_p265.jpg

He was more known for crossing the alps with Elephants and crushing the Roman Armies one by one, but his career after his exile has largely been forgotten.

At Battle of the Eurymedon, he fought against the Rhodian Fleet.

Rhodes0211.jpg

Edited by Sventex

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
4 hours ago, dmckay said:

Not forgotten but one of the most aggressive captains I know of. John Paul Jones.  Fearless... Refused to be beaten.  Just refused.  My avatar. Read about his exploits. 

4 hours ago, SeaKnight_1990 said:

:Smile_great:

John Paul Jones's marble and bronze sarcophagus at the United States Naval Academy.

US_Navy_050527-N-6077T-007_Father_of_the_U.S._Navy,_John_Paul_Jones,_is_entombed_at_the_U.S._Naval_Academy_and_is_guarded_by_Midshipman_24-hours_a_day,_three_hundred_sixty_five_days_a_year.jpg

[INTEL]
Members
6,659 posts
25,692 battles

How come nobody mentions Themistocles? I seldom if ever see references to him.

He won the Battle of Salamis, and if not for him, the Greco-Roman civilization that followed (and we descend from), would not have been, and Europe and the west would have been mostly colonized by Persians.

How about Admiral Agostino Barbarigo, victor at the Battle of Lepanto? Without his fleet, the Ottoman Turks would have conquered southern Europe.

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
11 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

How come nobody mentions Themistocles? I seldom if ever see references to him.

He won the Battle of Salamis, and if not for him, the Greco-Roman civilization that followed (and we descend from), would not have been, and Europe and the west would have been mostly colonized by Persians.

He's mentioned prominently in this cheap 300 inspired documentary.

Edited by Sventex

[SIDE]
Members
1,247 posts
8,868 battles

Agrippa. Commander of Octavians(later known as Augustus) navy in the battle of Actium against Marc Anthony and Cleopatra.

Octavian was never known for martial valor, and if Agrippa had not been his general, then things might have turned out quite differently for the future Augustus, regarded as one of the 'good' emperors.

[SAA]
Members
856 posts
27,241 battles

My personal favorite is Karl Frederich Max Von Muller, bought the SMS Emden just because of his command of it.

Members
1 post
1,679 battles

Admiral Thomas Cochrane, 10th Earl of Dundonald, Marquess of Maranhão, has always been a favorite of mine.  He is the historical figure that Horatio Hornblower and Lucky Jack Aubrey were based off of. 

You can read about his exploits here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cochrane,_10th_Earl_of_Dundonald

[STW-M]
Members
2,044 posts
5,861 battles

I can list a few, although "forgotten" may be relative:

• Admiral Yi Sun-Sin, a Korean admiral famed for his victories against the Japanese during the Imjin War, whose (IMO) best victory was the Battle of Myeongnyang, where he commanded a group of 13 ships to defeat a fleet of 130 Japanese ships with zero losses of his own (only 2 men killed and 3 wounded)
  • Vice Admiral Willis Augustus Lee of the USN, who (IMO) was one of the pioneers of using radar in night battles and commanded the USS Washington (BB-56) to basically solo-warrior the Second Naval Battle of Guadalcanal
  • Raizo Tanaka of the IJN, known as "Tenacious Tanaka" by the Americans and basically the premier IJN torpedo and destroyer task force commander. His most famous achievement is probably the Battle of Tassafaronga, which, IMO, matches Savo Island in the sheer scale of the defeat of the USN in an equal fight.
  • Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
On 5/23/2018 at 4:31 PM, Avenge_December_7 said:

Admiral Yi Sun-Sin, a Korean admiral famed for his victories against the Japanese during the Imjin War, whose (IMO) best victory was the Battle of Myeongnyang, where he commanded a group of 13 ships to defeat a fleet of 130 Japanese ships with zero losses of his own (only 2 men killed and 3 wounded)

He's one the most famous Admirals in history so...yeah, not forgotten.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,893 posts
8,856 battles

I'd say Von Müller, captain of the Emden is a great example. He lead the ship with honor- and a bit of a sense of humor, and though the Emden didn't survive long, it did sink many enemy ships and cause the Brits quite the hassle. Though he was captured, he was given the Blue Max for his bravery and promoted to Kapitan zur See when he returned to Germany in October 1918.

[SPTR]
Members
210 posts
3,537 battles
On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:57 AM, dmckay said:

He won more than that one.  Commanded USS Ranger first before "Good Man Richard" ...Bon Homme Richard. HELL of a fight!  Crazy.  Refused defeat.  I see I got a "boring" for that post. Obviously that came from someone who knows NOTHING about her fight against the HMS Serapis. Nothing.

or a salty limey.

[-TAB-]
Members
1,603 posts
5,163 battles
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:53 PM, SeaKnight_1990 said:

ironically enough, most BB captains can make that claim 2/3rds of the way into a battle lately....

• Cool 7

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,157 battles

Ching Shih, the famed Chinese female pirate queen.

[ICE9]
Members
813 posts

My favorite was Norman Scott,  a real cruiser man. Captain of Pensacola at the start of the war, the victor of Cape Esperance  and victim (of Callaghan's incompetence) at First Guadalcanal.

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
On 5/23/2018 at 7:31 PM, Avenge_December_7 said:

I can list a few, although "forgotten" may be relative:

• Admiral Yi Sun-Sin, a Korean admiral famed for his victories against the Japanese during the Imjin War, whose (IMO) best victory was the Battle of Myeongnyang, where he commanded a group of 13 ships to defeat a fleet of 130 Japanese ships with zero losses of his own (only 2 men killed and 3 wounded)

Yes, this. Yi Sun-Sin is definitely in the running for "Greatest Naval Commander of All Time". You forgot to mention four important feats he performed which, to me, solidify that position:

1. Before the Imjin War he had NEVER commanded a naval battle, and had to learn naval tactics and maneuvers on the fly.
  2. He never lost a single engagement. His fleet did get all-but destroyed and have to rebuild from a meager twelve ships, but that defeat was when he refused to take Japan's blatantly obvious bait and got replaced for "insubordination".
  3. His fleet is the main reason that Japan didn't outright conquer Korea. He caused so much damage to supply lines cut off so many ports that Hideyoshi had to halt his advance entirely.
  4. He got the British to admit that Horatio Nelson might have an equal. To me this is the greatest one.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
On 7/3/2018 at 2:30 PM, DonKarnage2 said:

Ching Shih, the famed Chinese female pirate queen.

Members
60 posts
1,059 battles

Charles Lockwood - his submarine campaign alone might have doomed Japan in WW2 even if the surface navy had done nothing more than sit around guard Hawaii & Samoa. And he did it over a lot longer distances than Germany was dealing with in the Atlantic, and with a lot fewer subs (although mostly very well-designed subs), and with astoundingly awful torpedoes for the first year or more.

Edited by VictoryInThePacific

Alpha Tester
5,054 posts
2,434 battles
On 5/19/2018 at 1:36 AM, SeaKnight_1990 said:

Who do you think are some of the most notable captains/admirals that history has largely forgot?

Sir Arthur Currie. The assault on Vimy Ridge was literally the first time in the history of warfare where every single soldier knew exactly what was going on, where they were going, and what they were to do once they got there. He was the guy who finally broke the mold set by the utter idiocy of the British officers in the Great War and came up with the means to gain ground without sending his men to their deaths like livestock at a butcher.