You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Asym_KS

Cruisers Mayhem - is Endless Fire Too OP

24 comments in this topic

[H_]
Members
783 posts

I'm new to WoW and attempting to grind through the IJN line.  I have the DD's and CA's done and I'm in the BB line now at tier VII.    The number of cruiser with endless firing guns has become an epidemic.  At some point, there is no point even trying to kill them because they hide behind terrain and never move till a DD chases them off......which, they won't do because of the endless firing guns.

I'm a novice but this is out-of-control and so OP that it is ruining the gameplay.  At one point tonight, there were two Atlanta's and a Cleveland that fired for three minutes straight at a BB and there was nothing the BB could do !  SO, entire rest of the game was fought at 17 to 20 KM !  Literally.  We even had a BB go AFK because he just couldn't do this or take this anymore....

OK, I'm sure this isn't new:    What is the Answer other than violating the code of conduct???  The grind is bad enough but this, just makes the game no fun.......  I'd really like to know cause overall, I like this game but......this is too extreme.

Edited by Asym_KS

Beta Testers
256 posts
5,937 battles

watch some BB's deleting cruisers, it may change your mind and it happens all the time! A BB versus 3 cruisers at almost any tier is in trouble...unless he tags one or two of them!

[SIDE]
Members
1,247 posts
8,868 battles
4 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I'm new to WoW and attempting to grind through the IJN line.  I have the DD's and CA's done and I'm in the BB line now at tier VII.    The number of cruiser with endless firing guns has become an epidemic.  At some point, there is no point even trying to kill them because they hide behind terrain and never move till a DD chases them off......which, they won't do because of the endless firing guns.

I'm a novice but this is out-of-control and so OP that it is ruining the gameplay.  At one point tonight, there were two Atlanta's and a Cleveland that fired for three minutes straight at a BB and there was nothing the BB could do !  SO, entire rest of the game was fought at 17 to 20 KM !  Literally.  We even had a BB go AFK because he just couldn't do this or take this anymore....

OK, I'm sure this isn't new:    What is the Answer other than violating the code of conduct???  The grind is bad enough but this, just makes the game no fun.......  I'd really like to know cause overall, I like this game but......this is too extreme.

Work together as a team. Cv's need to spot, DD's need to spot and get into positions to torp camping ships. Your team needs to focus fire on important targets. Call out targets using F3. Use F9 and target your own team ship, urging him to turn around. If you are playing a BB, you need to manage your repair party. This means don't put out the first fire on your ship unless you are near cover(an island). What captain skills you spec into are important also.

I could go on, but I suggest you go and watch some of ichase's tutorial videos on youtube, if you have not done so already.

[ZR]
WoWS Wiki Editor
564 posts
4,789 battles

There is a lot of things BBs can do against fires. Primarily, don’t misposition. Don’t overextend and always have a way out of an engagement. Also, learn how to manage DCP. Never DCP a single fire, and sometimes not even a double fire if you’re under heavy fire.

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
22 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

If you can't handle taking incoming fire, then Battleships aren't the ship type for you.

[TBW]
Members
6,399 posts
12,011 battles

Move closer to the island they are hiding behind so they can't hit you.

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
225 posts
8,148 battles

Either move away from island so you're out of their range, or move closer to island so they can't hit you anymore, which ever is safer and/or faster to do. Don't stay in within their range and let them punish you.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

Get used to it if you sailing BB's The Poor Cruisers are Lucky they last 10 mins in any given battle. They can hit you 100 times before you can shoot them but it only takes One or Two hits to delete them.

Got to be balance somewhere.

• Cool 1

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

The good news is that one well-placed AP salvo from a BB will delete said cruisers, while it will take them minutes working as a group to slowly burn away the huge BB health pool.

If you are grinding IJN BBs then go back and play the Fuso some more, that BB erases mid-tier cruisers with impunity.

That, and travel with support(especially as a BB) so you aren't in a 1 vs. 3 scenario.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,824 posts
11,180 battles
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

With using your CA's and DD how much fire did you pump out

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
608 posts
4,809 battles

The HE fire can be bad but you have to be aware of the map. The Atlanta and Cleveland don't have the longest range guns and at max range they are very high arcs. This either takes good skill to aim, or a BB that sails continuously straight.

If they burned him down, its a lesson on positioning as you should not push a force like that as from behind cover they are brutal for that reason alone.

Disengage, or go dark if you can, though if you have the replay it would allow us to view the situation leading up to it to perhaps offer pointers on what to be aware of to not get into that situation.

Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles

The Atlanta is extremely fragile. She can be citadeled by a BB from any direction, and destroyed in one volley. She also needs to be within 10 km to shoot. 

The type of thing you’re talking about kills BBd very, very slowly.  It takes literally hundreds for an Atlanta to sink a BB. In that time, you have options:

1.  Move to where you can return fire. A CL which is hugging an island can’t evade, and it’s easily killed. (If you aren’t killing them in 1-2 volleys, your aim is off). 

2. Move out of range. Those CLs are only accurate a little past 10km, and beyond that even if they can shoot, their shells are in the air for 10 seconds or so, so any ship can dodge. 

3. Move closer to the island to make it harder to shoot over. 

Low tier players have a lot of problem with HE spam, but you learn to deal with it. Freezing or refusing to advance are the worst things you can do for your survival. 

Alpha Tester
767 posts
1,448 battles

Doesn't help that if you have several cruisers focus firing you, even when you are with teammates, did not overextend, then you're pretty much screwed, because you're an XP pinata.  I've had games where there's a lonesome crusier showing their broadside, wide as a barn, and RNG spared him. So based on that, I guess the new defense cruisers have, is RNG.

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
2 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

How can you be new with over 2k + battles? Are you aware this is visible?
Something weird about that.

Smells funny.

Edited by xalmgrey

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,306 posts
6,587 battles

You can apply skills, modules and signal flags to your ship to migitate the damage that fires will deal to you.

For your Captain skills, there are three skills that help you against fires: High Alert, Basics of Survivability and Fire Prevention. Latter is the strongest one, and it also costs the most with four points, however I would recommend it on basically any BB. The fire chance gets slightly reduced, and the middle section of your ship (which can usually burn in two locations) can now only burn in one location. Basics of Survivability is a bit more versatile as it also shortens the duration of floodings and the repair of damaged modules. It‘s also strongly recommended. High Alert is a question if you have these two points remaining. If you do and don‘t have anything else to get, it can help you a slight bit, but not as much as the other two skills.

The modules have two options, Damage Control Mod 1 and 2. Mod 1 reduces the fire chance slightly, and Mod 2 reduces the duration of the fire.

Signal flag-wise there is the flag that reduces the fire duration, which is recommended on BBs. 

If you now use some, or all, of these options, you can Lower the damage you take from a single fire to like 8% of your ship‘s HP, while having a lower chance to be set on fire and having only three spots where you can burn, instead of four.

[H_]
Members
783 posts
18 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

How can you be new with over 2k + battles? Are you aware this is visible?
Something weird about that.

Smells funny.

I'm in WoW for less than a year?  I play alot but I've net been around for very long....  That's all.

[H_]
Members
783 posts

Thanks for the advice.

There have been some battles that running away and out of the kill zone worked.  But, these CL Cpt's know where to hide and hide they do...  To make matters worst, everyone is buying them....  I know, that's just how the game works but geeze, it sure does make the game get silly sometimes.

Again, thanks for the input.  I'm just sick of grinding BB's and dealing with the nuances of OP CL's....  So far, I haven't killed one yet as a BB cause I just can't get to the opposite side of their hide positions...  Time will tell.  I like the game and will keep at it for a while....  Again, thanks

[HCH]
[HCH]
Beta Testers
875 posts
7,230 battles

HE/fire spam: Annoying as all hell? Yes, you can bet your [edited]on that. OP? Not if you know what you're doing.

The best way to handle it, for a battleship anyway, is to not immediately repair that one fire. Just let it burn. Your heal can and will recover the hp lost from a fire. If it becomes two fires, then it's a judgement call, depending on how many cruisers are firing on you and how hp you have left. With three fires, yeah, repair that immediately .

If you're in any other type of ship, yeah, you're up crapcreak with no paddle.

Also to those saying how the fragility of cruisers balances out the power of fire, I have two points for you: 1. Only the simpletons who make themselves easy targets for those heavy guns that reload once every 30 seconds get deleted. 2. Cruisers are supposed to be vulnerable to battleships. 1v1 between a battleship and a cruiser, assuming all else being equal, is going to favor the battleship in most, if not all, cases.

[HCH]
[HCH]
Beta Testers
875 posts
7,230 battles
21 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

A minor tip for cruiser killing: For those cruisers that are bobbing and weaving, most of the time, they are subconsciously using a pattern. It pays to hold your fire for a second or two to observe that pattern, firing at a vulnerable point in that pattern. Above all else, you have to make each and every last one of your salvos count as a battleship.

[EQRN]
Members
341 posts
8,895 battles

My advice on how to deal with HE spammers would be to play one.  They do have their weaknesses and limitations and the best way to find those is to have your butt handed to you in one (you might come back to these forums and say HE spammers need buffing!)

[H_]
Members
783 posts

Actually, I tried it with my USS Kidd....  It is actually simple to avoid getting "caught" in a DD that just "squirts" a continuous stream of HE...  CL's are a bit slower but, I'll pass on them for now.  Still trying to 'find my niche' in this game.

Good advice though !  I'd like to see ammo restrictions or temperature causing dispersion as those barrels super-heat.  Three salvo's and then, a 2% increase in dispersion for "each salvo after"  if the CL CPT fails to allow the guns to cool.  There would be no way you'd get 12 or 15 salvos and hit anything because the tubes expand due to massive heat with no, between salvo, cooling.....

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,054 posts
14,457 battles

You want to know how to make the Cruiser stop using HE on your Battleship?

You shoot at the Cruiser and Delete it with your Battleship.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,756 posts
4,567 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You want to know how to make the Cruiser stop using HE on your Battleship?

You shoot at the Cruiser and Delete it with your Battleship.

Shooting from over 15km is tough as a battleship with over 20sec reload...:Smile_hiding:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,054 posts
14,457 battles
2 minutes ago, pyantoryng said:

Shooting from over 15km is tough as a battleship with over 20sec reload...:Smile_hiding:

I don't want to say it but... Git Gud :Smile_Default:

What good is a Battleship player that can't hit things over 15km?  Below that is easy.