Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Viking1

WG, you guys need to do something with the camo

48 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
4 posts
3,365 battles

WG needs to address the matter of camouflage for destroyers. In the last battle i was torped twice by a Z39 and I could not see him at all either time. I had a spotter up, my spotting range (Gneisenau) is almost twice the range of his torps - nothing helped.

This game is supposed to be fun but if you cannot see the enemy, then what's the point of actually moving off the spawning spot? Just leave your ship there and they will come and torp it without you seeing the enemy. Meantime, you can go get a cup of tea, answer your emails, surf the net, do whatever... I can understand destroyers laying smoke screens or having a good camo, but it's supposed to stop working when you're moving or when you fire. Granted, Z39 did not fire its guns but it was moving - because I was moving, at about 30 kt speed. So, logically, if the guy hits me with a torp, then hits me again 5 minutes later while I spent these 5 minutes sailing at 30 kt, then he MUST have been sailing too.

You guys need to fix this, if you want to keep this customer...

  • Funny 6
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
121
[DAKI]
Members
218 posts
8,281 battles

Wait what? What do this have to deal with Camo? I’m confused 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
104
[-THOR]
Members
627 posts
3,267 battles

Your spotting range is far but you did not enter his detection range, so you did not see him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
697
[5D5]
Members
2,292 posts
14,387 battles

As I read this I couldn't decide if it was saying Yanny or Laurel

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,796
Members
9,985 posts

but it's supposed to stop working when you're moving or when you fire.

Really?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
267
[NOBS]
Members
552 posts
5,967 battles

The "invisible" ship is the biggest problem in the game. No boat should be completely hidden from a spotter plane! 

  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
124
[FGNE]
Members
356 posts
2,492 battles

Unless your spotter plane was flying near that DD it wouldn’t detect it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,936 posts

Viking to actually answer your question read this 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection

Your spotting range is the maximum distance at which ships will draw on your screen. However the enemy ship's detection range is what generally determines if the ship is "seen" and actuall appears.

Other factors include guaranteed detection (radar/hydro) and aircraft, firing guns, smoke, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,847 posts
17,666 battles
21 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

As I read this I couldn't decide if it was saying Yanny or Laurel

Huh? Lost me there...you in the right thread or am I missing some meme reference here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
160
[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,059 battles

3k games and you just now have issues with this? It’s a mechanic if you look on wiki it describes it.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,742
Members
18,293 posts
5,226 battles
32 minutes ago, Viking1 said:

In the last battle i was torped twice by a Z39 and I could not see him at all either time. I had a spotter up, my spotting range (Gneisenau) is almost twice the range of his torps - nothing helped.

You do realise that there's no such thing as spotting range, right?

That value your Gneisenau has is concealment value, as in from how far away you can be seen. If the value is 15km, that means you will be spotted as soon as you come within 15km of an enemy with LOS.

The Z39's concealment value is less than the range of its torps, (just like many DDs) so yeah, it can torp you from stealth.

The plane doesn't really help, because it usually works like this, for example: your ship can see a DD 7km away. Your plane travels 5km away from your ship, but it can only see a DD 2km away, so there's no real difference. (numbers are made up, but that's more or less how it works)

Where a spotter/fighter plane is helpful, is spotting torps as it flies over them, or spotting ships on the other side of islands, where your ship doesn't have LOS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
821
[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
4,278 posts
7,882 battles
23 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

As I read this I couldn't decide if it was saying Yanny or Laurel

I think I hear Laurel, but a few of my friends are claiming the OP said Yanny

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,742
Members
18,293 posts
5,226 battles
26 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

As I read this I couldn't decide if it was saying Yanny or Laurel

I don't get Yanny, even all the way over to the right, I hear a cross between "Yally" and "Yayee".

Edited by Skpstr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
29 posts
7,996 battles
29 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

As I read this I couldn't decide if it was saying Yanny or Laurel

You saw that YouTube video as well I take it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
627
[NMKJT]
Members
2,736 posts
18 minutes ago, Capt_h2o said:

The "invisible" ship is the biggest problem in the game. No boat should be completely hidden from a spotter plane! 

The spotter plane still needs to be in the detect range for planes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,182 battles
59 minutes ago, Viking1 said:

 

So in essence; 

"I don't understand how spotting works in this game so it should be changed because I am a BBaby who is giving BB mains a bad name with my whinny self-entitlement".

Yah read the wiki. Lot of great stuff there like spotting mechanics. Very helpful. 

Stop complaining and giving BB mains a bad reputation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,735
[TBW]
Members
6,413 posts
12,059 battles

Just quit thinking in a straight line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
319
[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

Even the guy with 1/3 your games know whats going on...

 

A Z39 will be able to see you LONG before you can see it. It has better concealment than you. If I had to guess, your thinking your own detection range is your spotting range... Which it isnt. Your 15.6 km is how far away ships have to be to see YOU. If that Z39 is within that 15.6km (and not in smoke) than he can see you. If his torp range is more than HIS base concealment range, or you are moving toward him, he can torp you without smoke and islands. Just read the wiki bro. Its not that hard.

 

To help spot torps sooner:

  • Play more Germans. Bismark and up get Hydro on battleships. Its very nice, as any torps within like 3-4 km get spotted automatically, as well as ships within 5 km. 
  • Also Vigilance (commander skill) extends the torpedo spotting. It also stacks with Hydro
  • There is a special commander available now that has a boost to Vigilance.
  • Further up in higher tiers there is an upgrade to boost torp aquisition
  • Fighter is a better plane to use than a spotter, but the torpedo detection for planes was severely nerfed last update

 

That alone is 5 things that can be done to boost your torpedo response time. There is really no room for [edited] because your Gniessau cant brawl un-checked

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,865 posts
19,077 battles

My guess is he's frustrated that he couldn't hit back it's not fun taking a beating and not being able to do anything about it

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
620
[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,934 battles
Quote

Just another special player who can go over 2600 games and not comprehend the basic game mechanics

2600 games x 15min = 39,000 minutes /60 = 650 hours.

Or 81 8-hour working days aka 16 5-day working weeks.

If my math is correct (and it may not be!) that's a frightening level of ignorance.

:cap_wander:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
372
[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
1 hour ago, Viking1 said:

WG needs to address the matter of camouflage for destroyers. In the last battle i was torped twice by a Z39 and I could not see him at all either time. I had a spotter up, my spotting range (Gneisenau) is almost twice the range of his torps - nothing helped.

This game is supposed to be fun but if you cannot see the enemy, then what's the point of actually moving off the spawning spot? Just leave your ship there and they will come and torp it without you seeing the enemy. Meantime, you can go get a cup of tea, answer your emails, surf the net, do whatever... I can understand destroyers laying smoke screens or having a good camo, but it's supposed to stop working when you're moving or when you fire. Granted, Z39 did not fire its guns but it was moving - because I was moving, at about 30 kt speed. So, logically, if the guy hits me with a torp, then hits me again 5 minutes later while I spent these 5 minutes sailing at 30 kt, then he MUST have been sailing too.

You guys need to fix this, if you want to keep this customer...

3200 games 2 posts 0 clues ... suspicious

1 minute ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

2600 games x 15min = 39,000 minutes /60 = 650 hours.

Or 81 8-hour working days aka 16 5-day working weeks.

If my math is correct (and it may not be!) that's a frightening level of ignorance.

:cap_wander:

 

Or, you know, a bot farmed account which he bought without knowing jack crapabout the game.

Edited by w4spl3g

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×