Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

For those on the fence about Z-39 here's my initial game and impressions

30 comments in this topic

Members
1,734 posts
9,882 battles

Replay here

I bought her based off what kind of performance she can give as I have all the KM DDs, most have 19 point captains.

Some have voiced concerns over the 150mm guns, for me they are fine.  I actually enjoy them more as they have 1km more range than Z-23 and .9km more than Gaede.  Fighting DDs in open water they remind me a bit of the old IJN DD HE with the long reload.  You use that reload to evade shots with heavy turning, then bring your guns back on target and let off a heavy salvo, and repeat.  The actual DPM between US DDs and Z-39 is not bad outside 7km as the US DDs will struggle to hit you as often as you do them.  Unless you are smoked and hydroing, she is not a knife fighter dont play her as such.

The replay will give you an idea about how good her weapon bearing angles are.  They arent perfect but they are better than I expected. 

The guns are nice.  I was concerned the dispersion would be consistently bad with so few shells, but they seem reasonably consistent.  The fire chance is good, and within 8km they are pretty flat.  Nearing max range they do plunge but I find that handy for lighting fires behind superstructures for additional fires.  The fire chance is pretty good.  An often over looked item is the AP.  You can see in the replay how even at range the AP gets good DPM on broadside BBs and CAs.  Dont over look targeting bows and sterns of the ships to avoid saturation.

A nice touch is the 30mm A turret face like the Z-23.  This should minimize how often a DD can kill your front turret when you are bow on, and also creates a small immunity zone to DD fire.  This could be helpful when your bow is saturated and you are fighting to kill to kill or trade against a low HP DD.  The rest of the ship is nothing fancy with a 19mm hull, 13mm superstructure.

The torps are Maass torps, which is to say very good.  The alpha is a little low, but they reload and travel fast.  I wished they had more flooding chance, but that would probably break the game with DOTs.  Especially with how often you can set fires.

One interesting aspect is her hydro.  Z-39 has Z-23 hydro, and not the Maass at 4.44km for Ships and 3.12km for torps.  This little bit extra just feels right, especially with the 3.3km smoke firing concealment range.  This combined with low concealment does make her a competitive boat in a CV free environment.

All in all I find her a good general purpose DD.  I included this replay and post as there is little info where people can see what they are getting.  Especially from a competitive DD main's point of view.

I included all the screen caps so you get an idea on her earning potential.  Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer them as best as I can.

shot-18.05.18_18.48.20-0554.jpg

shot-18.05.18_18.48.24-0690.jpg

shot-18.05.18_18.48.28-0962.jpg

shot-18.05.18_18.48.59-0460.jpg

shot-18.05.18_19.58.10-0612.jpg

• Cool 2

Members
1,734 posts
9,882 battles
14 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

SALES must be slow......

LOL.

Probably.  I'm not a WG employee, just a guy interested in the boats, I dont stream or anything beyond play as much competitive as I can.  For some reason this one had next to nothing in coverage compared to other past premium ships.  Even Flambass's video on it hes talking mostly about other things and not the Z-39. 

I bought it based on the stats, but figured I'd give guys something else to watch, or ask a guy that has one if they are on the fence about it.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,941 posts
7,518 battles

After 5 matches, I'm averaging almost 63k, as of right now, she's my second best damage DD. I'd rate her as very, very strong, which makes sense, as her build is a combo of z23 and z46. Her lower rate of fire is offset by the higher damage on her guns, and her torps can reload in 81 seconds. They're shorter range, which makes you go in closer for your shots, this leads to increased accuracy. More hits offsets the lower alpha, plus they appear to have a higher chance for flooding. I've got about 20 torp hits in 5 rounds, all have caused flooding, without any flags to increase the chance. I already have a Liquidator from her.

Members
1,835 posts
17,651 battles
1 hour ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

150mm guns, for me they are fine.  I actually enjoy them more as they have 1km more range than Z-23 and .9km more than Gaede.

The Gaede has the 150mm gun option too...is the .9km range difference just compared to the Gaede's stock guns or is that compared to Gaede's 150mm guns.

Members
1,734 posts
9,882 battles
36 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

The Gaede has the 150mm gun option too...is the .9km range difference just compared to the Gaede's stock guns or is that compared to Gaede's 150mm guns.

+.9km over the upgraded GFCS for Gaede for Z-39.

shot-18.05.18_22.03.02-0298.jpg

shot-18.05.18_22.03.45-0800.jpg

Members
1,542 posts
8,180 battles

Hey

Certainly better than my first game which was a bit over 20K; I was hoping to use AP on a broadside Atago but he beat me as my AP just couldn't get the job done.  Of course my team was no where around to lend support in any way, seems typical these days.  Live and learn. 

Pete 

[GOFU]
Beta Testers
745 posts
7,588 battles

I realise 1 game does not maketh a ship but i was so busy using the guns i forgot to launch torps the whole game...use the guns wisely and dont knife fight theyre fine.

shot-18.05.19_17.56.45-0628.jpg

shot-18.05.19_17.56.39-0450.jpg

1,542 posts
26 battles

Z-39 is a great ship. She can be really sneaky if she wants to be and her torp reload makes her formidable at her tier. And of course, hydroacoustic search helps! 

[GOFU]
Beta Testers
745 posts
7,588 battles
44 minutes ago, WolfofWarship said:

Z-39 is a great ship. She can be really sneaky if she wants to be and her torp reload makes her formidable at her tier. And of course, hydroacoustic search helps! 

Indeed Ive used the hydro mod to extend its worktime.

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,957 battles

The 4.4km hydro is what's putting me off from this ship.  Given the amount of radar & longer-range hydro you're going to be facing with T7 matchmaking, it just doesn't seem workable as anything more than a torpedo heads-up if you're sitting in smoke & shooting...which was never a strong tactic with the German 150s anyway.  I'm not saying it needs something ridiculous like the Lo Yang sonar, but even just matching it up with Z-46's 4.7km seems reasonable given the premium status & some of the disadvantages which come with having those guns on a DD platform.

[PVE]
Members
511 posts
4,329 battles

How is it in contesting caps?  You said she is not a knife fighter, do you have to run away and kite when red DDs come at you?  I found that I had to do that in the T22 and so far the Geade.

I really enjoy Leningrad, I don't 'knife fight' in her either but I can do a decent job of taking out other DDs who don't run away. Is Z39 at all comparable with Leningrad (gun caliber and ROF aside of course)?

Edited by MasterDiggs

[GOFU]
Beta Testers
745 posts
7,588 battles
8 hours ago, MasterDiggs said:

How is it in contesting caps?  You said she is not a knife fighter, do you have to run away and kite when red DDs come at you?  I found that I had to do that in the T22 and so far the Geade.

I really enjoy Leningrad, I don't 'knife fight' in her either but I can do a decent job of taking out other DDs who don't run away. Is Z39 at all comparable with Leningrad (gun caliber and ROF aside of course)?

For the very few games i played in leni i didnt like the turret traverse.

USN dd's have spoiled me in that regard as i like fast shooting guns and fast turning turrets, both of which the Z39 does not have.

However- i've played enough games now that i can adjust my playstyle to suit the Z39.

As for comparing it to the Leni i dont really have enough games in Leni to say so.

6.1 klm detection is plenty to contest caps, i do it in the Sims with 6.6klm.

Like it or lump it, WG is POWERCREEPING ships, just like they do in WoT its just a bit more subtle and not done quite as quickly.

Members
1,734 posts
9,882 battles
On 5/19/2018 at 11:13 AM, MasterDiggs said:

With her concealment she is a good cap contester, and against T7 MMing her hydro is king.  When I say not a knife fighter I mean in open water engagements where smoke and hydro are not used kiting away against most foes is to your advantage.  Particularly DDs with US 127mm guns.

I have both ships, but have not had the opportunity to fight either one against each other. 

That said in open water I think Leningrad will take the upper hand in most situations, particularly if team mates are providing supporting fires.  Leningrad will just evade more of the fire from the Z-39's team and that will be most of the difference.  I think Leningrad will have more DPM, and is still easy to land shots at range.  If I were the Leningrad I would try to keep things out of smoke, unless I had the smoke advantage, and pick away at her over time until the Z-39 is easy to tackle safely.  Z-39 has a ton of HP, that will work in her favor a bit, how much depends on how well the Z-39 can evade fire.

That said, if I were the Z-39 I would arrange a date in a safe place with my smoke and hydro.  The damage you do in that one engagement will cripple her making any future engagements heavily in your favor.  Another tactics is borrowing a page from the IJN DDs and spotting the Leningrad in front of team mates to let them soften him up for you.

Who wins mainly comes down to who gets to fight to their strengths, and who plans to have more friends with guns coming to the party.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai
  • Cool 1

Members
1,734 posts
9,882 battles
On 5/19/2018 at 6:13 AM, Harv72b said:

The 4.4km hydro is what's putting me off from this ship.  Given the amount of radar & longer-range hydro you're going to be facing with T7 matchmaking, it just doesn't seem workable as anything more than a torpedo heads-up if you're sitting in smoke & shooting...which was never a strong tactic with the German 150s anyway.  I'm not saying it needs something ridiculous like the Lo Yang sonar, but even just matching it up with Z-46's 4.7km seems reasonable given the premium status & some of the disadvantages which come with having those guns on a DD platform.

I think giving a T7 ship T9 hydro is just as busted as Lo Yangs [edited] hydro.  Lets not break the game further by doing things like this more.  If you want to make the argument that German Tech Tree Ships should receive the proper German hydro for their tier, I agree with that.  But Z-39 should only have the T8 hydro, two tiers difference is just too much.

Radar is always the counter to the smoke/hydro at any tier.  That said it is a powerful tool in the German DDs tool box regardless of caliber.  Its up to the user to use it in a safe position.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,966 battles

You hav to wonder when you have a W/R of 70.69% at 55 battles if it's you or the ship.

Members
3,782 posts
14,047 battles

I picked up Z-39 the other day and took her out for 10 Randoms today. She's overall a sweet bote. Her torpedoes are excellent for her tier and her guns pack a decent punch. My only real gripe about her is the glacially slow turret rotation but that's not a big deal since I consider Z-39 to be primarily a torpedo boat.

She's a good bote but she still takes second place to Blyskawica as my favorite tier 7 DD.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,966 battles

Best Game to date...

shot-18_05.26_12_50.44-0629.thumb.jpg.65d3ce7b9aec3215f73df3bf8e17e6b4.jpg

shot-18_05.26_13.00_05-0090.thumb.jpg.c5f637fbd56e6470f20248734fc6f39a.jpg

Veteran DD players will do well with her. An issue would be encountering T5 and T8 dd's since their visibility values are normally lower. A good tactic would be to call for fire on a dd who get's spotted earlier and keep him spotted.

[RUSHB]
Members
863 posts
7,892 battles

To me, the Z-39's concealment advantage is key.  Only the Shiratsuyu outspots it, and I rarely see those.  This thing is, very strong!  I am NOT regretting the purchase.

c5772b341d836e0ce761f10f9c1ec045.png

8aac19d5990412c149366b8e73594c1a.jpg

66fa04adcfbfaa9917600a6c7a880dc4.jpg

Edited by JochenHeiden

Members
1,734 posts
9,882 battles
23 hours ago, JochenHeiden said:

To me, the Z-39's concealment advantage is key.  Only the Shiratsuyu outspots it, and I rarely see those.  This thing is, very strong!  I am NOT regretting the purchase.

c5772b341d836e0ce761f10f9c1ec045.png

8aac19d5990412c149366b8e73594c1a.jpg

66fa04adcfbfaa9917600a6c7a880dc4.jpg

Its the combo of concealment, and the HP pool.  Its an odd combo, but strong.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,966 battles
41 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Its the combo of concealment, and the HP pool.  Its an odd combo, but strong.

Actually, the Kidd has the same type of setup of concealment and HP pool (in the form of repair party).

Members
1,734 posts
9,882 battles
5 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Actually, the Kidd has the same type of setup of concealment and HP pool (in the form of repair party).

Yes but Kidd is a tier higher, and has to live long enough to repair. 

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,966 battles
18 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Yes but Kidd is a tier higher, and has to live long enough to repair. 

Still within the MM spread so you'd encounter the Z-39 and Kidd in a match.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,536 posts
25,024 battles
On 5/19/2018 at 6:13 AM, Harv72b said:

The problem with the Z-39 and Z-23 hydro range is the smoke detection range due to the 150 mm guns.  Z-39 only has a 1.14 km window between hydro range and getting detected firing from smoke. Lo Yang’s window is over 3 km.  That is so much more workable. 

With Z-39, you need to approach the enemy DD, pop hydro when in range and DO NOT shoot while you keep him lit. Pray that your teammates are paying attention and like to shoot DDs. Otherwise any smart red DD player will charge you and in only 1,000 meters your are spotted too, negating any benefit from the hydro. 

I am not doing well in the Z-39. I love the guns... except the reload rate. She sets fires quickly and often. The torps are very workable. However, she is fat and eats AP shells. Her handling is poor until you compare it to Sims where it’s abysmal. 

I suspect the biggest problem I’m having is that I need to use different tactics compare to Z-52 and Lo Yang. You just can’t use her hydro the same way to bully red DDs out of caps unless you have island cover. 

Sign in to follow this