You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

Is there any point to irrevocable ranks?

12 comments in this topic

[BIAS]
Members
3,159 posts
9,306 battles

How many of the players that rank out actually are helped by the irrevocable ranks being in the game? 

If a player is good enough and stays above 50%wr they are helped minimally by the irrevocable ranks being there, it might help them keep a couple stars that they would have had to grind. 

On the flip side, if a player is below 50%,the chances of them ranking out after hitting the last irrevocable rank is extremely slim. 

So it begs the question, what are irrevocable ranks for? Why does WG have them in the game? Good players shouldn't really need them and they don't really help the bad players. Is all WG is doing is providing false hope to players that realistically have no chance of ranking out? 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,488 posts
9,585 battles

Small places of hope.

[B2P]
Members
517 posts
13,722 battles

^ Exactly... Hope.  It can get very frustrating in ranked, as you have no control over the teams you get.  For instance, I was having a hard time just getting to rank 10.  Then breezed from rank 10 to 5 and hit a brick wall.  Never was able to string together enough wins to get more then rank 5 with 1 star.  Last night got bumped back to rank 6.  It gets depressing.  But having a point where you know you can't be pushed any further back gives you the hope to keep on trying.  For myself, I wish they would throw in another irrevocable between rank 10 and 1.  Just seems that MM really has it out for you sometimes.

• Cool 1

Members
309 posts

Stress reduction.

You don't have to worry about dropping too far.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,649 posts
13,668 battles

It's to make sure the population ever gets too low at certain levels

52 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

How many of the players that rank out actually are helped by the irrevocable ranks being in the game? 

If a player is good enough and stays above 50%wr they are helped minimally by the irrevocable ranks being there, it might help them keep a couple stars that they would have had to grind. 

On the flip side, if a player is below 50%,the chances of them ranking out after hitting the last irrevocable rank is extremely slim. 

So it begs the question, what are irrevocable ranks for? Why does WG have them in the game? Good players shouldn't really need them and they don't really help the bad players. Is all WG is doing is providing false hope to players that realistically have no chance of ranking out? 

I'm sure with people actually ranking out  It is to keep the cannon fodder in the 6 to 10 range For the ones that are moving through

Edited by silverdahc

[TBW]
Members
6,421 posts
12,071 battles

The irrevocable rank is for when I get drunk.

• Funny 1

[BIAS]
Members
3,159 posts
9,306 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Great answer!! That's pretty good

6 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

It's to make sure the population ever gets too low at certain levels

I never really thought about a practical purpose and that's probably as good as any. 

[ARGSY]
Members
1,302 posts
9,016 battles
2 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Yep.

Also, gives one a chance to explore different ship options should they wish.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

there's a life raft metaphor somewhere in this irrevocable thing...but it's kind of alluding me at the moment.

Members
396 posts
6,353 battles

Irrevocable ranks are for people like me to end the season on never quite able to replicate that one miraculous session where I climbed to my best ever rank only to landslide back to 10

Edited by Visidious

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,254 posts
8,651 battles

I think it should be set up the same way as CB. Matches are made of people in your league. If you win against a team of mostly worse players you move up slower. If you win against a team of mostly better players, you move up faster. You get promotion and demotion matches but nothing is irrevocable. Everyone who wins a certain amount in the top league gets the flag. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,738 posts
15,396 battles

irrevocable ranks ensure there are plenty of players at each bracket.