Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Joe_918145

USN cruiser split is making me do stupid things

20 comments in this topic

Members
128 posts
6,187 battles

People much more knowledgeable at this game than me have said that to maximize your gains you should have Cleveland - Baltimore in your port when the split happens.  I already had the Cleveland, so I picked up the Pensacola a few weeks ago to start moving up the line.  I really was not interested in playing higher than Tier VI, but as I improve I know I may find the higher tiers interesting in the future.  Well, I found that I cannot drive the Pensacola.  I've watched the videos, I've played her in co-op and done OK, but when I play her in random I get deleted early and with little battle contribution.

So I used some free XP and moved up to the New Orleans.  I had been playing her in co-op and was content to keep grinding her there until this week when the Public Test server installed phase one of the cruiser split.  Realizing that I did not have time to slow grind in co-op and get the XP needed to research the Baltimore, I played a few games with the New Orleans on the Public Test server and moved up to random on the N/A server.  

I really struggle playing with the big dogs right now, especially when I'm bottom tier in a match.  It's a matter of finding an island to hide behind and then get deleted when I poke my bow out to take a shot.  I think I've watched all the YouTube videos on the New Orleans but I'm still a drag on my teammates at this level in this ship.  I've had some good rounds in my Cleveland when she was bottom tier, but even when playing the New Orleans in a +1/-1 battle I still struggle.  My average damage in the New Orleans is 9277 which is bad even for a Tier 1 boat, and I have not killed more than one ship in a battle with her yet.

I feel bad when I can't contribute much to help my team win, but I have to keep grinding if I am to be successful in picking up the Baltimore.  I do know I've helped a few by turning on my radar at the right time.  Perhaps this trial by fire will help me in the future.  I know one thing, there are some players in the higher tiers who are in some really nice boats that should return to the mid tiers and learn to play better.  

One more thing - my win rate in the New Orleans at the time of this posting is 56%.   LOL!

Edited by Joe_918145
typo

[WOLF3]
Members
6,443 posts
2,405 battles

Some say that the secret to a better win rate - especially in cruisers - is not how much pressure one applies, but where and when one applies it.  Perhaps you are discovering the secret.

• Cool 1

Members
311 posts
2,336 battles

Its a USN cruiser, find your favorite island hide behind it and spamm HE.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,443 posts
2,405 battles
5 minutes ago, manon45 said:

Its a USN cruiser, find your favorite island hide behind it and spamm HE.

Actually, my biggest problem is getting to the :etc_swear: island.  I often get spotted and clobbered before I can get there.  Some maps I just back out of spawn and go around now.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,757 posts
4,573 battles

What makes NOLA tick (9.1km detection w/ 9km radar) will no longer be there when it is downtiered...at least the anniversary permapaint is going for it...

[HAG]
Beta Testers
318 posts
4,074 battles

If you are giving your best that is all I can ask of a teammate I would rather have a team of "bad" but good natured peothen a full team of a**hat unicums

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles

I have a few questions from your post. Can you post a replay of what an average game is like for you? Because you used free XP, how many points is your captain at? If you don’t have CE you are in really bad shape. What upgrades are you using? Watching videos usually helps but a big thing I learned in the line is patience works wonders. Don’t fire until you’re ready to be fired back at. If you are on in about 6 hours, feel free to shoot me a message in game and I can division in the Nola with you. It helps to play with people who you can watch and maybe follow and double team ships. 

It seems to me that you just can’t get to that first position which might be because of lack of concealment. If you have the Cleveland you’ve already made great on the split by getting a free tier 8. 

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
1,102 posts
4,194 battles

Actually, my biggest problem is getting to the :etc_swear: island.  I often get spotted and clobbered before I can get there.  Some maps I just back out of spawn and go around now.

I know that feeling. It seems if I play a cruiser I get placed far from any cover to hide behind and I'm in range of several bb's. I do think cruisers need a little tweaking, say lower & decrease the citadel. Winning %, hey! I'm trying to survive randoms.

[NET]
Beta Testers
457 posts
3,826 battles

i found all the us cruisers after the cleveland a joy to drive. i played the cleve way back before they nerfed the guns and it has never been the same for me. its a durable cruiser but the hang time of those shells just kills it for me. the pensacola and NO hit hard. i use the NO as a dd leader. i go in close to a cap point behind cover and cover friendly dds capping with my radar. its all about situational awareness. get caught out open and its die time.

[-WPG-]
Members
808 posts
3,352 battles

As said earlier, you better have CE,  and the concealment module, or you're going to struggle. Don't shoot if you don't know where the enemies are or have cover available.  Better to be patient. 

If you have CE, go play some ranked battles. You'll only face other T8s.  I've only played 6 random battles in the NO and already have the Baltimore. The rest were in ranked. Took less than 60 battles (I have permacamo on the NO but only used xp flags 3 or 4 times). You don't have to be a unicom to play ranked, especially up to rank10.  You get a good amount of flags, the team communication and objective play is (usually) much better than randoms and... again... you only face other T8s.  

Edited by DouglasMacAwful

Members
309 posts
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

When you hop tiers, you move up without the captain that makes it work.

NO shouldn't have much trouble getting into position, it's one of the stealthiest cruisers in it's tier range.

A full concealment build gets NO down to 9.1km surface detect range (extra useful given that's only 100m more than it's 9 km radar range). That puts you lower than any cruiser other than Edinburgh, and even then, only barely.

With a proper build, if you get spotted in a NO, pop radar, then prepare to stomp whatever was spotting you.

Members
128 posts
6,187 battles
3 hours ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I have a few questions from your post. Can you post a replay of what an average game is like for you? Because you used free XP, how many points is your captain at? If you don’t have CE you are in really bad shape. What upgrades are you using? Watching videos usually helps but a big thing I learned in the line is patience works wonders. Don’t fire until you’re ready to be fired back at. If you are on in about 6 hours, feel free to shoot me a message in game and I can division in the Nola with you. It helps to play with people who you can watch and maybe follow and double team ships. 

It seems to me that you just can’t get to that first position which might be because of lack of concealment. If you have the Cleveland you’ve already made great on the split by getting a free tier 8. 

Thanks for the help to all.  I did not have CE yet so I used some Elite Commander XP from the Cleveland to get enough points to add it.  I'll play a couple more games and see how much it helps.  I am improving, average damage is up to 9451.  LOL!

I did have one good battle where I was able to radar a dd and kill him.  Made me feel useful at least and I finally had some fun in the NOLA.

Beta Testers
29 posts
7,996 battles

The Pensacola has thin armor for a ship. Per Wikipedia:

In an effort to remain within treaty limits, while still mounting a very heavy main battery of ten 8" guns, the hull was of welded construction, and the armor belt was thin (varying from 2.5 to 4 inches in thickness). This was inadequate to protect her vitals from enemy 8" shells and was no thicker than the armor on 6" gun cruisers. In fact, Pensacola and Salt Lake Citywere classified as light cruisers due to their minimal armor until re-designated in July 1931 as heavy cruisers in accord with international practice of designating all cruisers with guns larger than 6" as heavy cruisers.[/quote]

In essence, the US Navy developed a thin-skinned light cruiser with a heavy broadside. If the Pensacola were a dog with more bite than bark, it would like a small hairless dog snarling its fangs.

Wargames mis-tiered the Penacola from the begining and it should do fine at teir 6. Ships should be tiered based on armor thickness/HP followed by gun size- it would be easier to balance an imaginary light cruiser with a single 18" gun at say tier 7 than to stick it at Tier 10 just because the Yamato also has 18" guns.

Edited by Fusilier01
Dam forum is quoting the most of the text.

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles
36 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

Thanks for the help to all.  I did not have CE yet so I used some Elite Commander XP from the Cleveland to get enough points to add it.  I'll play a couple more games and see how much it helps.  I am improving, average damage is up to 9451.  LOL!

I did have one good battle where I was able to radar a dd and kill him.  Made me feel useful at least and I finally had some fun in the NOLA.

How many points does your current captain have? I would highly recommend not playing in randoms until you have 10 in order to get CE. It will just be frustrating and you will get less XP because you are being destroyed early. I would say if you have any premium ships play your captain in there to boost him up. When you get CE, you shave 12% off your detection range which is huge. You can radar pretty much as you are detected and find the ship. If you are really far away, just do your best. They have a 10 point USN captain with the skill boosts for sale right now and I think Halsey campaign is coming out soon for the boosts and bonuses.

Members
128 posts
6,187 battles
1 hour ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

How many points does your current captain have? I would highly recommend not playing in randoms until you have 10 in order to get CE. It will just be frustrating and you will get less XP because you are being destroyed early. I would say if you have any premium ships play your captain in there to boost him up. When you get CE, you shave 12% off your detection range which is huge. You can radar pretty much as you are detected and find the ship. If you are really far away, just do your best. They have a 10 point USN captain with the skill boosts for sale right now and I think Halsey campaign is coming out soon for the boosts and bonuses.

Thanks Belyy_Klyk.  The points from the elete commander got me up to 10, which is when I added the CE.  I'm playing better now, just not quite up to unicom status yet.  

Lesson learned is to get a 10 point captain by hook or crook in the higher tiers.

• Cool 1

Members
128 posts
6,187 battles
On 5/18/2018 at 5:11 PM, DouglasMacAwful said:

As said earlier, you better have CE,  and the concealment module, or you're going to struggle. Don't shoot if you don't know where the enemies are or have cover available.  Better to be patient. 

If you have CE, go play some ranked battles. You'll only face other T8s.  I've only played 6 random battles in the NO and already have the Baltimore. The rest were in ranked. Took less than 60 battles (I have permacamo on the NO but only used xp flags 3 or 4 times). You don't have to be a unicom to play ranked, especially up to rank10.  You get a good amount of flags, the team communication and objective play is (usually) much better than randoms and... again... you only face other T8s.  

You guys rock.  I had never played ranked before today.  It's a lot of fun when the team works together.  I'm not great at driving the NOLA yet but I'm improving.  Thanks to all of you. 

image.thumb.png.980dc451385cc3b7557f6de741ac7250.png

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,024 posts
1,430 battles
On 5/18/2018 at 3:43 PM, Joe_918145 said:

P but when I play her in ranked I get deleted early and with little battle contribution.

...so don't play ranked battles.

Members
128 posts
6,187 battles
12 minutes ago, Redwing6 said:

...so don't play ranked battles.

That was a typo, Redwing6.  I edited my post.

If I was playing a T7 in ranked I'd not be whining about not being able to play a T8 very well would I?

Edited by Joe_918145
word omission

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,024 posts
1,430 battles
2 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

That was a typo, Redwing6.  I edited my post.

If I was playing a T7 in ranked I'd not be whining about not being able to play a T8 would I?

Your post still says "ranked battles"...so my comment stands. sir.

Members
128 posts
6,187 battles
4 minutes ago, Redwing6 said:

Your post still says "ranked battles"...so my comment stands. sir.

No, Sir, my original post is updated.   The quote you used in your reply will not change.

Just to be sure, we are talking about the last sentence in the first paragraph that refers to the Pensacola, right?

Sign in to follow this