You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
S842

Public Test 0.7.5 - What is the point?

48 comments in this topic

Members
176 posts
15,593 battles

When I logged onto the Public Test 0.7.5 yesterday I was expecting to see both the old and new versions of the American cruisers in the tech tree available for testing.  For example, the Cleveland in tier 8, Pensacola in tier 6, New Orleans in tier 7 and all the other new light and heavy American cruisers in their respective tiers.  Instead, I see the same American cruisers in their respective tiers - Cleveland tier 6, Pensacola tier 7 and so on to tier 10, and there are no "new" cruisers in the tech tree.  So I am "testing" the existing and unchanged American line.  WHAT IS THE POINT?  JUST WHAT AM I TESTING?

To those who posted up the particulars of round one and round two - I already knew this.  My point is that, in round one, it is POINTLESS to "test" the existing American cruiser line.

Edited by S842
grammer
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[NUWES]
Members
1,663 posts
5,597 battles

I was wondering that too. The only thing I see new is the Halsey campaign. I assume they are going to update it with the re-tiered ships at some point. 

Edited by Tzarevitch

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
10 minutes ago, S842 said:

When I logged onto the Public Test 0.7.5 yesterday I was expecting to see both the old and new versions of the American cruisers in the tech tree available for testing.  For example, the Cleveland in tier 8, Pensacola in tier 6, New Orleans in tier 7 and all the other new light and heavy American cruisers in their respective tiers.  Instead, I see the same American cruisers in their respective tiers - Cleveland tier 6, Pensacola tier 7 and so on to tier 10, and there are no "new" cruisers in the tech tree.  So I am "testing" the existing and unchanged American line.  WHAT IS THE POINT?  JUST WHAT AM I TESTING?

8 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

I was wondering that too. The only thing I see new is the Halsey campaign. I assume they are going to update it with the re-tiered ships at some point. 

gJAKwBC.jpg

The tech tree will reshuffle in round two of the PTS. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles

Public test has always been used more for advertising and hype building than actual testing.

• Bad 3

Beta Testers
218 posts
5,301 battles

The Public Test is actually a test of players fine print reading skills. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 6

[PVE]
Members
9,796 posts
7,478 battles
16 minutes ago, S842 said:

5 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

gJAKwBC.jpg

The tech tree will reshuffle in round two of the PTS. 

That was my guess. Get the US heavy cruisers from Pensacola to Baltimore and test the Halsey campaign in round 1. Then the ships will move in round 2 and we get to see the compensation package?

[WOLFB]
Members
624 posts
22,409 battles

We just wait for Part 2 and "test" what really needs to work! 

[PVE]
Members
9,796 posts
7,478 battles
9 minutes ago, fbrrhd said:

We just wait for Part 2 and "test" what really needs to work! 

They want to test the Halsey campaign as well. Not to mention the collection and American containers of which there seem to be two of.

[LOU1]
Members
3,057 posts
8,140 battles

I decided the first part is to get a baseline to measure the new ships against in the second part.  Seems like good research design - run the environment with no changes and then run the changes in the same environment.  It would not be realistic to simply compare the live environment that has had the ships for years against the somewhat different PTS environment with changes over a four day period.  This way they can compare apples to apples.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
9,796 posts
7,478 battles
2 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

I decided the first part is to get a baseline to measure the new ships against in the second part.  Seems like good research design - run the environment with no changes and then run the changes in the same environment.  It would not be realistic to simply compare the live environment that has had the ships for years against the somewhat different PTS environment with changes over a four day period.  This way they can compare apples to apples.

That is a very good point.

[PVE]
Members
9,796 posts
7,478 battles

Explorer_One had a good point about why use the old ships and then the new ships.

[TBW]
Members
6,410 posts
12,057 battles
43 minutes ago, S842 said:

WHAT IS THE POINT?  JUST WHAT AM I TESTING?

The campaign and the collection to start. The PT isn't for you, except to populate it for the people doing testing. You get some signals for doing it. They do send you a questionnaire and ask about your experience. Part of which is to see if there are any glitch's that need to be fixed before the update goes to the server. If there are code problems they more often than not, catch them before updating the main servers.

Members
176 posts
15,593 battles
15 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

Perhaps so, but I would think that the results from the main (regular) server would provide perhaps better data as it is based on a much larger number of players and battles.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
1 hour ago, BadlyBrowned said:

Reading skill too OP!!! NERF!!! :fish_book:

• Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
9,796 posts
7,478 battles
29 minutes ago, S842 said:

Perhaps so, but I would think that the results from the main (regular) server would provide perhaps better data as it is based on a much larger number of players and battles.

But the US cruiser stats on the live servers cover a variety of metas. Doing it on the PTS cuts down on variables.

[NGA]
[NGA]
Supertester
183 posts
5,142 battles

The "point" of PTS is to release content to the masses to look for bugs/glitches/typos/etc. with new and existing content and report back if you find any. 

Wargaming and supertesters cant find all of them so we look to the commuunity for help. Plus you can earn rewards and such in form of premium time and flags!

Edited by EpicLeveler
  • Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
6,354 posts
4,275 battles
57 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

It explains the changes from the 0.7.4 PTS, which was the first one I ever played. There, the ships which were unlocked and provided for us were Tier 1,7,8 and I was looking forward to trying the KGV again. What I found was the unlock at T1 and T6, which was disappointing at first but quickly made sense; the PTS US cruisers are dirt cheap to upgrade and easy to earn the necessary XP for. The whole point is to replicate said grind at very high speed in a compressed timescale, then drop the split in the PTS.

Methinks the ships we will find unlocked & provided in port in PTS 0.7.6 are Tiers 1 and 5 and (maybe) 8. That will give us PTS Omaha to research Dallas and subsequently Helena, and possibly PTS Cleveland 8 as a basis to research Seattle and Worcester.

[LOU1]
Members
3,057 posts
8,140 battles

15 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It explains the changes from the 0.7.4 PTS, which was the first one I ever played. There, the ships which were unlocked and provided for us were Tier 1,7,8 and I was looking forward to trying the KGV again. What I found was the unlock at T1 and T6, which was disappointing at first but quickly made sense; the PTS US cruisers are dirt cheap to upgrade and easy to earn the necessary XP for. The whole point is to replicate said grind at very high speed in a compressed timescale, then drop the split in the PTS.

Methinks the ships we will find unlocked & provided in port in PTS 0.7.6 are Tiers 1 and 5 and (maybe) 8. That will give us PTS Omaha to research Dallas and subsequently Helena, and possibly PTS Cleveland 8 as a basis to research Seattle and Worcester.

Talk about high speed, how about the container opening?  A couple of times last night I had over 50 containers to unlock at a time due to the campaign.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==.gif

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, BadlyBrowned said:

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Although Funny it is Sad as well.

• Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
9,796 posts
7,478 battles
48 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I doubt the CLs will be tested in PTS 7.5, since Dallas through Worcester (except Cleveland) are dropping on update 7.6.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,466 posts
2,414 battles

I'm a little disappointed, too.  Not because the split isn't illustrated -- that will come in a week -- but because they are limiting the ships to Tiers 6 & 7.  I wanted to use it to get some experience in Nawlins and Balto.  <bleh>

That said, you have to realize that the Public Test involves a LOT MORE than the big stuff that we see.  They will rarely or never publicize them, but I wager there are as many as 50 tweaks, re-works, and minor features under test.  Plus, of course, the campaign.  It makes sense to test all this stuff before really stirring the pot with a major change to the tech tree.

tl;dr - Yes, there is good reason to run the test this way.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,354 posts
4,275 battles
11 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

but because they are limiting the ships to Tiers 6 & 7.  I wanted to use it to get some experience in Nawlins and Balto.  <bleh>

Wait, what? How can this be? I played games in T6 PTS Cleveland, T7 PTS Pensacola and T8 PTS New Orleans last night, and had unlocked PTS Baltimore by the time I went to bed. You just have to play the trifling number of games required to research them all at PTS XP prices.

[PVE]
Members
9,796 posts
7,478 battles
20 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I'm a little disappointed, too.  Not because the split isn't illustrated -- that will come in a week -- but because they are limiting the ships to Tiers 6 & 7.  I wanted to use it to get some experience in Nawlins and Balto.  <bleh>

That said, you have to realize that the Public Test involves a LOT MORE than the big stuff that we see.  They will rarely or never publicize them, but I wager there are as many as 50 tweaks, re-works, and minor features under test.  Plus, of course, the campaign.  It makes sense to test all this stuff before really stirring the pot with a major change to the tech tree.

tl;dr - Yes, there is good reason to run the test this way.

5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Wait, what? How can this be? I played games in T6 PTS Cleveland, T7 PTS Pensacola and T8 PTS New Orleans last night, and had unlocked PTS Baltimore by the time I went to bed. You just have to play the trifling number of games required to research them all at PTS XP prices.

Ensign_Cthulhu is right. You start at T1 & T6, but can grind to whatever tier you want. It is 2k XP for ships to T7 and 4k after that. Each module upgrade is 1xp, so you don't need to play stock ships.

Members
333 posts
3,414 battles
2 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

Another possible reason is for people to have the "OLD" version of the ships to level up commanders, and we should see first hand how the captain changes will be handled.  I'm planning on having a 15 point commander on a couple of the ships, and a 3 point on the others just to see how thing go in the re-tiering process.  One 15 point will be on the Pensacola, a 3 pointer on the NO, the 15 point from the Cleveland will be in reserve with a new capt on the Cleveland.  Haven't decided what to try on the Baltimore.  Subject to change between now and the time the second phase of the PTS happens.

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
Members
1,430 posts
12,054 battles

Some great comment..

"The public test is about testing playter reading skills"

I like that one... READ the PTS patch copy fully.. most of your issue will get nbipped in the bud right there.. I hope your not this lazy outside the game... that could be bad!

The reason for the public test server is very very simple, and there are several reasons for it..

First of it the last chance to catch bug and issue after the internal testers are done with their QC.  ANd do be aware the internal QC folks are limited to no more than about 200 people of which only 20-30 are actual QC team, the rest are regular dev staff employees and wargaming staff who get paid to lend a hand and it's never 'nuff QC, not ever!  So they have public tests to catch what they did not.  And additional bugs are regularly caught and fixed thanks to the PTS.  And some of the bugs have been obvious, and some really obscure.  And even the PTS doesn't catch the last of them.  Games are not simple...millions of lines of code, gigabytes of data.  Yea, NOT a simple task.

Second reason is yea it does help promote interest as new ships get intro'd on the test server, but if you please to notice only "lines" of ships tend to hit the test server...   Premiums are handled differently.  Tose ships get tested one off by those who have become supertesters, and CC's who also help promote the new ships with review's, WIP reports etc.  And assuming attention has been paid not all of those CC reviews have been positive.  Some have been VERY critical.  Some of the CC seem to think their Journalist's or something!  The nerve of some people!  

Yea if everything were all planned and it was all a set up that would not be allowed to happen.. which by the by if you do CC work for say Activision/blizzard or EA.. negative reviews are not permitted... your a CC with them and you thumbs down something your generally done with what passes for their CC or access programs.  You don't toe their corporate line your gone!   It may not perfect around here but it's a damd better than what you see elsewhere in the industry.. including dev's on steam who generate false reviews to raise the product review score.   I have never seen Wargaming do this with any of its products, so give credit where credit is DUE.   This is very much one of the most honest game developers in the industry.   Wargaming may on occasions not tell us something, but I've never ever caught them lying to us or misrepresenting the product in the two plus years since game launch in north america!   It is THE primary reason they get product loyalty from me.  ANd if it ever changes I WILL say something.  

Use your eyes.  Pay Attention.  

As for the test server, go to the test server and play..  Just play.. complete the test server mission and get the rewards and if something seems not right post it up in the test server bug report forum.  If something could be better post it up in the test server suggestion and feedback forum.  That's all Wargaming wants and needs you to do.  If you do more than that cool!  Outstanding.  I am sure it will be noticed and appreciated!

Understand that the test server is mostly about gather numeric ie: data on game play..the numbers collected tell them quite a bit more than would be obvious and more often than not point out that there is an issue with a particular ship or a systems interaction that needs to be looked at.  The test server is THE last place to catch issue before the release of a particular build/patch.  ANd yes, sometime they will put a bug in place just to see who is paying attention.  It's and ancient QA dept trick that been around since the beginning of computer programming.  Also a bit of an initiation to see who's actually paying attention and doing what they're supposed to be doing.  (you see those test server rewards, you ARE receiving compensation for what you do even though it's only items of virtual value in game.  Of course some of those rewards are dependent on you actually doing what they want you doing!  It's so unfair!  WHine whine whine whine whine...really guys?)

I drive on the test server what I drive best which is IJN DD's  Had a great day the yesterday. 13 match with a 72% win rate  DIscover that the special skin for the cleveland from the collection  (which I finished)  is apparently not getting received or perhaps it can only be applied to the tier 8 version of the Cleave?  Going to try and figure that out today.   Working on the third tier of the campaign, should be able to pick up "Bull" I hope by the time I'm done there today.   

So I'm having a fantastic time on the test server even if I may be picking up a touch of carpal tunnel from clicking on the open crate button.  I hope you are to, but understand why the test server is and what your supposed to be about on it.  The OP is obviously not getting it all and that is a shame.

It's said the average age of warships players is 42...  and I'm going to guess likely correctly the average age of forum posters is somewhat less.

*sigh* can't be helped!

Now to go log onto the test server and get some ship time in.

You know the real downside to the test server is you do these missions and campaigns and collections on the test server and when they go live your not as excited about them and may actually blow them off and never collect the rewards on the live server.   I caught myself twice so far not finishing on live what I did finish in test.  It's....... frustrating.

Warlord sends

• Cool 2