Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
awiggin

Commander xp conversion?

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,787
Members
9,968 posts

WG, please explain the point of having a Commander XP conversion sale two weeks in a row?

Do you really think there are that many players with so much elite xp and 19 point captains that they'd waste captains xp elsewhere?

Is this simply another troll of the players who don't live the game, and invest that type of time in it? :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,715
Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
16 minutes ago, awiggin said:

WG, please explain the point of having a Commander XP conversion sale two weeks in a row?

Do you really think there are that many players with so much elite xp and 19 point captains that they'd waste captains xp elsewhere?

Obviously they do, and they would know far better than us how much elite XP is floating around out there.

They probably realise that converting like that is not something lots of players will jump at, but what else can they do, as far as an elite XP sink?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,787
Members
9,968 posts
21 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Obviously they do, and they would know far better than us how much elite XP is floating around out there.

They probably realise that converting like that is not something lots of players will jump at, but what else can they do, as far as an elite XP sink?

But why would anyone in their right mind waste commander XP unless they had all their captains at 19? 

There can't possibly be that many players with 19 point captains in every ship they play...:cap_hmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
285
[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

But why would anyone in their right mind waste commander XP unless they had all their captains at 19? 

There can't possibly be that many players with 19 point captains in every ship they play...:cap_hmm:

Never underestimate the power

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
151
[B2P]
Members
514 posts
13,634 battles

Yeah, I'd never waste commander XP on anything other than trying to get other commanders to 19 pts (actually use most of it getting new commanders to 10 pts).  But I would GLADLY waste any number of commander reserve slots for just about ANYTHING!  ANYTHING!!!

Received two more 4-slot packages in containers last weekend.  Now I have over 200 commander slots, with about 190 of them open.  And of those 10 or so occupied slots, most of those are ARP commanders.  Would love to be able to trade some commander slots for a port slot.  *Wink*Wink*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,715
Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
28 minutes ago, awiggin said:

But why would anyone in their right mind waste commander XP unless they had all their captains at 19?

Nobody in their right mind would.

But, as you like to remind us, most of the players are casuals. They might prefer to accelerate the acquisition of shiny new ships than nebulous captain skills, which they probably don't understand the effects of anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
595
[PVE]
Members
1,606 posts
6,757 battles
35 minutes ago, awiggin said:

But why would anyone in their right mind waste commander XP unless they had all their captains at 19? 

There can't possibly be that many players with 19 point captains in every ship they play...:cap_hmm:

Unfortunately, people in general are just plain dumb and will waste commander xp instead of applying it in the proper places such as other captains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,722
[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,034 battles

 

I don't even know why they would have a conversion on ECXP seems really stupid to me, about as useful as tits on a boar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
144
[BBC]
Members
933 posts
12,324 battles

I have millions of uncoverted free exp. I don't convert it, but I earn free exp like crazy on 200%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,263
[PVE]
Members
5,618 posts
18,209 battles

Converting elite xp to free xp really seems to be a waste and pointless unless you just have more 19 point captains than you can shake a stick at and have loads of doubloons. Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that it is in the game for that tiny few that would do it, just seems a waste. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,715
Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

Converting elite xp to free xp really seems to be a waste and pointless unless you just have more 19 point captains than you can shake a stick at and have loads of doubloons. Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that it is in the game for that tiny few that would do it, just seems a waste. 

That's just it though, is it really a tiny few?

As awiggin says, most of the players are casuals. They may not even be aware of captain's skills, but anybody will notice that they can unlock a new ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,263
[PVE]
Members
5,618 posts
18,209 battles
11 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

That's just it though, is it really a tiny few?

As awiggin says, most of the players are casuals. They may not even be aware of captain's skills, but anybody will notice that they can unlock a new ship.

Is my guess, it really seems a waste of elite xp. I suppose it may be more than a few, but in all the forum posts here and on Reddit, never seen anyone say they have taken advantage of it nor anyone who was excited about it when it goes on "sale". Never seen a post asking for when converting elite xp to free xp going on sale, never seen anyone mention it in any other terms than "a waste" or the like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,715
Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

Is my guess, it really seems a waste of elite xp. I suppose it may be more than a few, but in all the forum posts here and on Reddit, never seen anyone say they have taken advantage of it nor anyone who was excited about it when it goes on "sale". Never seen a post asking for when converting elite xp to free xp going on sale, never seen anyone mention it in any other terms than "a waste" or the like. 

I agree it's a waste, but again, anywhere you've seen a post is going to, by default, contain a high proportion of "aware" players.

How many people buy bundles that have credits in them? Dubs for credits is probably the worst waste. Yet WG keeps using credits as useless "filler" in their bundles, and people keep buying them.

And as far as converting elite XP to free XP, you can skip an awful lot of ships for the XP it takes to put a few points on a 10+ captain.

Yes, we know skills are important, but look at some of the posts from people that think the best thing to do is race up the tiers, and learn how to play when you get there. They figure they'll get the T10 first, then learn how to play and develop their captains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
418
[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,669 posts
3,824 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

Is my guess, it really seems a waste of elite xp. I suppose it may be more than a few, but in all the forum posts here and on Reddit, never seen anyone say they have taken advantage of it nor anyone who was excited about it when it goes on "sale". Never seen a post asking for when converting elite xp to free xp going on sale, never seen anyone mention it in any other terms than "a waste" or the like. 

It becomes even more wasteful in converting commander xp to free xp when you realize that you can use the commander xp to retrain captains to a new ship without needing to spend doubloons or resetting their entire skill set without the need to spend doubloons.

So if you have doubloons to spend, it's a waste to use it on a xp pool that you can directly use to avoid spending doubloons in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
767
[MIA-A]
Members
2,111 posts
6,750 battles

I mean, I have 3M elite commander xp so...

It's somewhat tempting because of that. It's a lot easier to get elite commander xp than free xp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,263
[PVE]
Members
5,618 posts
18,209 battles
24 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Yes, we know skills are important, but look at some of the posts from people that think the best thing to do is race up the tiers, and learn how to play when you get there. They figure they'll get the T10 first, then learn how to play and develop their captains.

I agree with this. My mistake when starting was grinding the ship lines as quickly as I could. Luckily I learned (from the forums) that grinding the captain was just as or more important that what I was doing and pretty much stopped worrying about my tier and made goals with captain skills instead of what tier. It worked out much better for me when I did that. 

 

4 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

I mean, I have 3M elite commander xp so...

It's somewhat tempting because of that. It's a lot easier to get elite commander xp than free xp.

That is fantastic and in your case the conversion makes sense assuming you have the doubloons to do it. If you have lots of 19 point captains or just do a few ship lines to work then I can see your point. For those of us that are working on multiple nations and multiple classes of ships, what you find you need the most is elite xp to get those captains up to snuff. Free xp is most definitely harder to get compared to elite xp when you have 19 point captains but I generally have a better use of the elite xp by building more 19 point captains. I just let my free xp bank until there is a ship I want. I never use it for anything else now, not even skipping ship upgrades. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
380
[DAY]
Members
1,179 posts
11,719 battles

it's just a trap

they are pretending like it's a sale, while it isnt useful at all

 

even if you have all 19pts on your common ships, you can always go for a 2nd "AA captain" or "RPF captain"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
767
[MIA-A]
Members
2,111 posts
6,750 battles
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

That is fantastic and in your case the conversion makes sense assuming you have the doubloons to do it. If you have lots of 19 point captains or just do a few ship lines to work then I can see your point. For those of us that are working on multiple nations and multiple classes of ships, what you find you need the most is elite xp to get those captains up to snuff. Free xp is most definitely harder to get compared to elite xp when you have 19 point captains but I generally have a better use of the elite xp by building more 19 point captains. I just let my free xp bank until there is a ship I want. I never use it for anything else now, not even skipping ship upgrades. 

 

I mean, it's a tradeoff, right.

I have close to 2.5M freexp too but am missing Conqueror, Grozovoi, Großer Kurfürst, Henri IV, Minotaur, Moskva, République, and Z-52 (plus CVs). and the Wooster for Xs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×