Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Idea for German Campaign Unique Commander

12 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,870 posts
5,255 battles

It looks like the approach WG has adopted is to have 2 tiers of Unique Commanders.   Tier 1 commanders are earned through special events, like the one we have starting this weekend.  These commanders generally have 2-3 skills that are slightly better than others.

Tier 2 commanders are earned through long, permanently available campaigns.  They have some bonus skills, plus some activated special abilities.  They also come with unique colored tracers.

In the future, when WG releases a Tier 2 commander for Germany. . . his special power could be the ability to take 21 points of skills.

Thoughts?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLFB]
Members
211 posts
4,772 battles

Hmmm, while having and extra 3 points to use on a commander would definitely be amazing the way I see it it may cause some builds to be a bit insane. You could potentially have four tier 4 captain skills on a single ship, and many more options in terms of earlier skills. Perhaps make these sorts of commanders for special events, but for normal play i'd see him being a bit of a problem, just my two cents. Now, the idea I've had floating around for a German commander is the following:

Give the commander improved Basics Of Survivability and Superintendent.

We already have the upcoming German commanders have improved Vigilance and Jack of all Trades. Since these two are centered around Hydro use with vigilance extending torpedo spotting range and jack of all trades making its cool-down shorter I'd see this new commander being used more for tanking builds.

Perhaps make Basic Of Survivability  -25% or -20% from its current -15% and make Superintendent give +2 charges to each consumable instead of +1.

I could see this captain being way more used than the two Hydro specialized captains though, considering that pure survivability is usually more valued than just making Hydro better so some things would have to change.

Well these are just my thoughts, fair seas mates. :Smile_honoring:

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,796 battles

Maybe have the ship he is commanding fire nothing but gas shells. :Smile_teethhappy:

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
4 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

Maybe have the ship he is commanding fire nothing but gas shells. :Smile_teethhappy:

custard gas -- heh -- see what I did there.  

• Funny 2

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,796 battles
Just now, Dr_Dirt said:

custard gas -- heh -- see what I did there.  

Plus one for having a sense of humour :Smile_teethhappy:

[TBOW]
Members
1,252 posts
10,689 battles

I was thinking if they introduced Admiral Tirpitz, his special abilities would get slight increases if they put him on his namesake ship.  Same could be done with other commanders, if they get put on a ship they were known for, their special abilities would get slight boost.  Which would mean they wouldn't necessarily get put on T10's but on lower tier ships to get the most out of their abilities.

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
29 minutes ago, gcangel82 said:

I was thinking if they introduced Admiral Tirpitz, his special abilities would get slight increases if they put him on his namesake ship.  Same could be done with other commanders, if they get put on a ship they were known for, their special abilities would get slight boost.  Which would mean they wouldn't necessarily get put on T10's but on lower tier ships to get the most out of their abilities.

Adm Tirpitz -- good idea for a German campaign admiral.  I was thinking along the lines of the post-Tirpitz folks like Adm Hipper, Scheer, Admiral von Spee.   

Which brings up a question...I know German law + video games + swastika don't mix.  But I assume this doesn't extend to including say the names of circa-WWII German Admirals?    Raeder or Dönitz?  Just curious since WG is doing these somewhat goofy names for the German captain missions.  

Edited by Dr_Dirt

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,926 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Dirt said:

Which brings up a question...I know German law + video games + swastika don't mix.  But I assume this doesn't extend to including say the names of circa-WWII German Admirals?    Raeder or Dönitz?  Just curious since WG is doing these somewhat goofy names for the German captain missions.  

I was wondering if there was some prohibition on using historic names. Would like to see Hans Langsdorff and Ernest Lindemann on Graf Spee and Bismarck, etc etc.

Or an ability for players to rename captains. Surely that has no game impact and would be a simple coding issue

Members
689 posts
4,377 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Dirt said:

Adm Tirpitz -- good idea for a German campaign admiral.  I was thinking along the lines of the post-Tirpitz folks like Adm Hipper, Scheer, Admiral von Spee.   

I'd be shocked if WG ever put Raeder or Donitz into the game. Both are too heavily associated with Nazism. It's almost a certainty that any historical German commander will be from the Imperial era. Which is more than fine. 

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,904 battles

Dönitz would be a bad idea since he was the last Reichspräsident of Germany and a devoted Nazi.

Räder despised democracy. Even he wasn't a fan of Hitler in the beginning he turned into a Nazi after 1933.

The only one that would be easy to agree with because he had nothing to do with the Nazi would be Langsdorff.

Since he worked on a mineseeper in WW1 he can get some extra vigilance bonus. Btw he earned the Iron Cross second and first class there

His devotion to his crew can give him a adrenalin rush bonus.

And because of that RN cruiser look alike fake turret he may get some extra CE Bonus.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,788 battles
4 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

It looks like the approach WG has adopted is to have 2 tiers of Unique Commanders.   Tier 1 commanders are earned through special events, like the one we have starting this weekend.  These commanders generally have 2-3 skills that are slightly better than others.

Tier 2 commanders are earned through long, permanently available campaigns.  They have some bonus skills, plus some activated special abilities.  They also come with unique colored tracers.

In the future, when WG releases a Tier 2 commander for Germany. . . his special power could be the ability to take 21 points of skills.

Thoughts?

Or just bake them in meaning skills where you don't have to use any points. Like they auto get Priority target or another tier 1 skill. Effectively giving you a 20 point captain.

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
3 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

Or just bake them in meaning skills where you don't have to use any points. Like they auto get Priority target or another tier 1 skill. Effectively giving you a 20 point captain.

21-skill since they already baked-in the "I'm detected" skill.  

Sign in to follow this