Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Dirt

Play The Z-39? How was it?

43 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

266
[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

It would be nice to hear peoples impression of the Z-39.   If you've purchased the Z-39 and have a had a chance to play it in a match or two, please post your impressions.  Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,827
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Somehow... Mouse's review never popped up in my unread content. Total surprise when it was announced this morning. After reading her review, I wonder how many will be sold...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
266
[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

I may get one...still on the fence.  I like DD play.  So I'm a sucker for prem DDs.  But like I say, I'm on the fence about this one.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
266
[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

Here is a link to Little White Mouse's Z-39 review:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,093
[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,328 posts
6,609 battles

I played her a bit, and I did like her overall. She has her struggles, mainly the main guns and her maneuverability, but for me the tankiness and the stealth compensated for that. The Torpedoes worked just like the ones on Maass (in other words, excellent), and the T8 benefits are overall a nice addition.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,976
[SYN]
Members
14,459 posts
10,475 battles

If you have one, care to show the armor layout?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
449
[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

Got one, only played a few games. Been awhile since I topped the scoreboard while being on the losing team.

Played too few to say whether I'd recommend it or not, because the gun reload is awful and those guns don't work versus BBs... 
Anyhow it is a German premium DD, who doesn''t want one. Torps are pretty decent.

 

Do I need IFHE on this guy?

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
196
[TARFU]
[TARFU]
Members
922 posts
5,958 battles

What are the camo bonuses? 50% xp and -10% service costs? I'm not gunna buy it unless there's a 50% commander or free xp boost on there as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,093
[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,328 posts
6,609 battles
11 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

If you have one, care to show the armor layout?

19mm hull, if that is what you are on about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,307
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
8 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Got one, only played a few games. Been awhile since I topped the scoreboard while being on the losing team.

Played too few to say whether I'd recommend it or not, because the gun reload is awful and those guns don't work versus BBs... 
Anyhow it is a German premium DD, who doesn''t want one. Torps are pretty decent.

 

Do I need IFHE on this guy?

How do you think a non-DD player (Me) would do on her? I have played some DDs, just never for long, just cannot seem to get the hang of them.

 

Edited by Chaos_EN2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
771
[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts
7 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Do I need IFHE on this guy?

Total waste of points if you ask me. The purpose of the 150s is to attack DDs and light fires at superstructures. If a BB is showing side, use AP at it's upper belt instead. And spend those four points somewhere else.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,340
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,840 posts
9,589 battles
10 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

How do you think a non-DD player (Me) would do on her? I have played some DDs, just never for long, just cannot seem to get the hang of them.

 

Most DD play is about knowing when to shoot and when not to shoot the guns. Usually the answer is “No”. 

If you can manage that then you have potential at DD play. If you are the type of person who tries shooting at a Moskva 10k away while in a Benson, you will do poorly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,307
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
3 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Most DD play is about knowing when to shoot and when not to shoot the guns. Usually the answer is “No”. 

If you can manage that then you have potential at DD play. If you are the type of person who tries shooting at a Moskva 10k away while in a Benson, you will do poorly. 

The highest Tier I have gotten to to 4 with German all the rest 2-3, I gave up a while back.

And no I would not do that, shoot at a target that far away. I did when I 1st started, and thanks for the advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
160
[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,047 battles
33 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

How do you think a non-DD player (Me) would do on her? I have played some DDs, just never for long, just cannot seem to get the hang of them.

 

 

14 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

The highest Tier I have gotten to to 4 with German all the rest 2-3, I gave up a while back.

And no I would not do that, shoot at a target that far away. I did when I 1st started, and thanks for the advice.

My biggest piece of advice is to really think about it. Why do you want this ship? If you aren’t a DD playe, are you going to want to play this? Are you going to play a few games and never touch it again? I’m still trying to decide myself but I do play a good many DD’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
266
[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

its definitely not a stealthy beast.  surface detectability (wiki) is as bad as the Maass.  Base is 7.74km 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
771
[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

If you play German DDs and don't have a BFT/AFT specced captain, I say go for it. Obviously, if your Z-52 captain is specced for BFT/AFT, then wait for the T-61 which is expected to appear in significantly nerfed form sometime in the 2020s, lol.

Note, Z-39 is kinda garbage as a gunboat unless they give her 150s the Z-23 rate of fire rather than the Gaede one. I'd focus on her advantages, which is to say stalking, hydro, and being bait ;) Note that while on a 1 on 1 engagement with other DDs, she might struggle due to her low DPM, if you're talking the kind of gunfight where both DDs have cruiser and battleship support, the Z-39 will definitely outlast the other DD simply due to her massive health pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
771
[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts
3 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

its definitely not a stealthy beast.  surface detectability (wiki) is as bad as the Maass.  Base is 7.74km 

Z-39 has access to the concealment mod at tier 7. This gives her an in game concealment of 6.1km which is currently the best concealment of ANY tier 7 DD until Cossack comes out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,307
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
9 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

 

My biggest piece of advice is to really think about it. Why do you want this ship? If you aren’t a DD playe, are you going to want to play this? Are you going to play a few games and never touch it again? I’m still trying to decide myself but I do play a good many DD’s. 

Thank you,:Smile_honoring:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
266
[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
36 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Z-39 has access to the concealment mod at tier 7. This gives her an in game concealment of 6.1km which is currently the best concealment of ANY tier 7 DD until Cossack comes out.

ok -- thnx.  Good information.  Apparently the coffee is kicking in.

Edited by Dr_Dirt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,807
[SALVO]
Members
17,098 posts
17,769 battles
50 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Z-39 has access to the concealment mod at tier 7. This gives her an in game concealment of 6.1km which is currently the best concealment of ANY tier 7 DD until Cossack comes out.

I think that you're forgetting the Shiratsuyu, which IIRC can get her concealment down to 5.9.  But I don't have the game open to check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
199
[MEIST]
Members
871 posts
3,063 battles
57 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

its definitely not a stealthy beast.  surface detectability (wiki) is as bad as the Maass.  Base is 7.74km 

After all the camo, captain skill and concealment module, she shows 6.1 km dectectability range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
449
[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
2 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Total waste of points if you ask me. The purpose of the 150s is to attack DDs and light fires at superstructures. If a BB is showing side, use AP at it's upper belt instead. And spend those four points somewhere else.

That is true, but it is annoying when my shells keep shattering on a 10k HP BB, which is not sailing broadside :)

 

2 hours ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

How do you think a non-DD player (Me) would do on her? I have played some DDs, just never for long, just cannot seem to get the hang of them.

 

I mainly play cruisers :) I don't think this ship makes too much of a different compared to the other KM DDs of the same tier, at least not with how I play her.
The main reason I got her is because I usually sell silver ships and move to the next one. I usually get premium ships to play in the lower tiers without having to go through the hassle of training another captain. With this ship I use my Z52 captain currently. 

I don't know what you like, but currently the best tier 7 DD is imho the Leningrad. Though you need a high level captain on this one to make it a baby Khabarovsk. That ship has decent torpedoes and great guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,643
[KNMSU]
Members
3,370 posts
4,003 battles

It's okay. But it DEFINITELY needs CE, IFHE, and DE to make it work. Without those skills, it's kind of a lump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
570
[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,808 battles
3 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Total waste of points if you ask me. The purpose of the 150s is to attack DDs and light fires at superstructures. If a BB is showing side, use AP at it's upper belt instead. And spend those four points somewhere else.

SE, RDF, are what I spec'd my 23 Cpt. When I realized AFT and BFT were useless :). Survival DD Hunter builds you can do so many things out of the norm build wise and I agree on the IF HE it's AP is so good you don't need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
255
[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,519 battles

I like it

First battle after getting it

Z-23.jpg

Edited by Lord_Slayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×