Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mikebiang

Premium Advice

14 comments in this topic

[GCCN]
Members
17 posts
2,358 battles

Hey everyone - got some doubloons to spend.   Looking at the following ships.  Which way would you go...  I'm intentionally not providing any other info such (such as if I prefer cruiser play or DD play, etc).  Just want to see what you guys think.

• Sims
  • Leningrad
  • Perth
  • Molotov
  • Dunkerque
Edited by mikebiang

[EQRN]
Members
343 posts
8,949 battles

Sims is listed as a ship that could be unlocked in the upcoming US campaign, fwiw. Perth is fun,  but not useful for training a line.

[FADES]
Members
152 posts
3,800 battles

In my order:

#1 Molotov - fun if you like to keep shooting from max range and avoiding enemy shots, while setting a lot of enemies on fire.  Great guns with great shell speed and accuracy.  Get's blasted when shot in the sides. 

#2 Sims - gets you ready for higher tier US DD play, slow moving but fast reloading torps, long lasting smoke, decent AA and speed, good close-range guns, rainbow arcs from long range.

#3 Dunkerque - forces you/teaches you to stay bow on to enemies with both turrets in the front, could use Speed Boost consumable buff like the higher-tier French BB's get, but a fun ship, need to shoot some HE as you get a lot of overpens with AP.

#4 Leningrad - I love the Russian DD's (and have both Tier 10's) but the slow turret and blocking of some of the gun angles (with boat parts) on this ship frustrates me, decent torps and great speed.

#5 Perth - I do not have, a buddy of mine likes it though, shorter range with travelling smoke.

Also, Tier 7's seem to do better for MM than Tier 6's do, at least for me and my friends.  6's always seem to be in Tier 8 matches, while 7's seem to have their fair share of top tier matches.

I would also consider if you are going up any of these lines and need a commander trainer as well - good luck.

Edited by digitaljustice
  • Cool 1

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
300 posts
9,843 battles
Just now, ZARDOZ_II said:

You said Perth twice. 

He clearly wants the Perth lol :Smile_coin:

I will only comment on the two ships that I have on this list: Molotov and Dunk. The Molotov is the classic glass cannon. Fantastic guns, good speed, so so maneuverability, good defense torps, zero armor. It's one of my favorite tier 6 ships but you have to play smart. You're a sniper so fire and relocate etc. The Dunk is the other side of the coin but is still pretty fun but also not for everyone. When top tier it's a beast, when low tier it's a flotation device. It can set everything on fire but has issues penetrating angled ships, even cruisers. Good speed, ability to bow tank (at it's tier), ok aa, secondaries all in the rear. I like it but not everyone else does. 

Both are affordable and if nothing else are awesome in scenarios. 

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,807 battles

Your list appears to have a significant gap that can be filled with a dominant beast of a ship, Scharnhorst.

[GCCN]
Members
17 posts
2,358 battles
1 minute ago, _Big_Lou_ said:

Your list appears to have a significant gap that can be filled with a dominant beast of a ship, Scharnhorst.

Alas, there is a finite limit to my doubloons

[ARGSY]
Members
6,324 posts
4,264 battles
28 minutes ago, mikebiang said:

Hey everyone - got some doubloons to spend.   Looking at the following ships.  Which way would you go...  I'm intentionally not providing any other info such (such as if I prefer cruiser play or DD play, etc).  Just want to see what you guys think.

• Sims
  • Leningrad
  • Perth
  • Molotov
  • Dunkerque

What's your main preference in tech-tree ships? All else being equal, and if this is your first premium, I'd be inclined to give greatest preference to a premium ship that matches a nation (and preferably a ship type) that I played a lot of, so I could use it for commander XP farming and re-training. 

As @FrodoFraggin pointed out, there will soon exist a chance to play missions to get a Sims for nothing. So I would hold off on that purchase and consider one of the others first.

[GCCN]
Members
17 posts
2,358 battles

I think my main preference would be a ship that adds a unique play style to me tech tree.  This isn't my first premium - I'm interested in something that expands my repertoire a bit.  Already have these similar tier premiums:

• Atlanta
  • Z39
  • Graf Spee
  • Anshan

[RQL]
[RQL]
Beta Testers
646 posts
13,796 battles

You have good ships on your list.  All things being equal, I would rank them in this manner for fun play and ease of use - 

• Dunkerque
  • Perth
  • Molotov
  • Sims
  • Leningrad

I believe that BBs are the easiest of the classes to move into and play immediately.  I do have all of them and they are all fun for different reasons.  It really comes down to what you decide to focus on and what nation you want to grind and need a trainer.  My list would change considerably based upon your focus.

But whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a great time with your new premium.

[BNKR]
Members
417 posts
2,506 battles

Only have the Molotov, so not sure how much help this is, but it's become my favorite ship. Armor is useless, as one would expect from a mid-tier cruiser, torps are defense/YOLO only, and you do see tier VIII quite a bit.

But...it has tier IX guns. Soviet rail guns, too, and AP on broadsides will just wreck fools. And you can use it in Scenarios for captain training, which is sweet. 

Your mileage may vary, but she's a gudbote IMHO.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

I like DDs and I like the Leningrad.  Uber fast -- good torp range for a ruskie.  Very nice flat trajectory gun fire.  Drawback is the slow turret traverse.  

Second choice is Perth.  British type CL play...but Perth gets HE as well as AP.  The range is a bit gimped.  However, you do have access to a spotting plane module so you get bursts of more usable gun range.  Smoke is a little gimicky so make sure if you buy it you take 15 or 20 minutes to google the Perth Smoke and how it works.  

I own all the others (wallet warrior).  They are OK and can be fun.  But I bought Leningrad when it first came out and I still play it routinely.  The others -- not nearly as much.  

Sign in to follow this