You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

A Reminder That CVs Aren't Potato Bodyguards

6 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
2,079 posts
5,879 battles

CV players hold a great responsibility in battle: how we manage ourselves vs that of the enemy CV can oftentimes decide the outcome of a battle. It is a CV's job to spot enemy ships for their teammates to attack, attack enemy surface ships and soften them up/outright kill them, and defend our team against enemy air attack.

With that being said, CV players do have their limits, and they are not supposed to be an omnipresent deux-ex-machina that saves potatoes from meeting their demise. If you do potato and die for it (we all do at some point, but it's the frequency of such mistakes that sets apart players), do not cuss out your CV in chat.

For instance, tonight I had a teammate in a Charles Martel who decided that the best thing to do on Twin Brothers was to sail alone down the channel when there were carriers and several enemy battleships, cruisers, and destroyers with good AA. Despite my protests (to which he called me a [edited] boy), he proceeded to sail down the channel even though several battleships and cruisers (tier 9/10, mind you, so they all had rather powerful AA and very good guns) had already been spotted on the other side, waiting for him to poke his bow out.

He never got to that point, however, as the enemy Taiho decided that he would make a fine appetizer. Despite attempts by my Essex's fighters to interfere (hampered by the presence of enemy fighters and several good AA ships), the lack of room inside the channel meant that there was really no chance he would survive.

As has become typical fare for us CV players, said Martel's captain now proceeds to declare me useless, despite my protests and strained efforts to defend him (even if he insulted me and played incompetently, he still at least was a teammate, so I had to at least try to defend him). At that point, I had stopped listening to him, so all he got in chat was "*laughs*".

We won that fight despite a fierce struggle and a very competent enemy CV (who was divisioned with a kidd), I compliment the 4 players that had surpassed me in base xp (I was fifth), and in dead last, with less than 300 xp to his name on a win, is the Charles Martel captain.

Yeah, I don't regret not doing more to try and save him from himself.

• Cool 2

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
26 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Yeah, I don't regret not doing more to try and save him from himself.

I'm the same on that map if someone want's to go down the middle at the start then they are on there own, i'm not going to focus all my planes just to cover someone who want's to see if it works this time or just watched a video off someone doing it. if it's later in the match and a DD want's to try and sneak up and get cap ill spot ahead for them to see if it will work because things have settled down by that point.

There's a point players need to realise when they want to try something or want to go off on there own for a cap there might be a good chance the CV wont be able to cover you or spot for you, there is only so much a CV player can do so check with them and see if they can help or spare a squad off planes, if you go off on your own then start [edited] even though the CV told you they can't help and the team said not to then that player is on their own.

To me you did nothing wrong i wouldn't of even sent my fighters there to try and cover him, they could off been off better use somewhere else, if players don't want to listen to the team or the CV then yer they are on there own. The joys off playing CV and the drama that come's with it.

[WORX]
Members
1,863 posts
12,918 battles

This can sound like it can belong in the book " Fire and Fury" and then guess if the event happen or not. Or invent a drinking game to how many times people will take out the frustration on the CV driver because he is the CV driver. None the less, I hear there is a rework in the works but it may take upto a year complete. In the meantime if people complain just remind them to try it. Its not easy to click up to 100 clicks per min while trying to save the well unsavable who have a death wish on there own. Cheers!

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
33 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

This can sound like it can belong in the book " Fire and Fury" and then guess if the event happen or not. Or invent a drinking game to how many times people will take out the frustration on the CV driver because he is the CV driver. None the less, I hear there is a rework in the works but it may take upto a year complete. In the meantime if people complain just remind them to try it. Its not easy to click up to 100 clicks per min while trying to save the well unsavable who have a death wish on there own. Cheers!

WoWs rule 1# if anything go's wrong blame the CV if no CV then blame it on that there was no CV in the match. People complain a lot or ask some stupid stuff from CV and sometimes you can't help but give them a answer which is not on the nicest of tearms.

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

Better stop caring. CVs are an unpopular class to play. Hopefully the upcoming changes will fix this.

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,975 battles
On 5/18/2018 at 4:57 AM, Navalpride33 said:

If the CV UI was actually responsive, 100 APM would be babymode compared to other RTSes. This only goes to show how much is expected out of CV players, and how much realistically most of them can('t) deliver.