You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
3rdBlindMouse

What incentive do I have to play well?

28 comments in this topic

Members
18 posts
5,804 battles

Recently I came back to WOWS from over a year off. I was (am) a 50/50 player. When i got back i joined a clan and got taught some fundamentals of play and started to bring my win/loss to almost 50/50 over all after having a deficit of 45. Over a few weeks i had got within 3 wins of 50/50 overall, my game has improved immensely then within a few days that gap has blown out again beyond 20 despite my improved game play. Had I afked all those games i almost feel as though id have an almost 50% win rate not the 30% I have. Just venting but if this continues why would I want to continue improving?

Edited by 3rdBlindMouse
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,072 posts
9,551 battles

Don't just focus on win rate. Even if you are going to lose a match you should play to the best of your ability as the incentive is more XP and credits at that point.

• Cool 5

[ICE9]
Members
855 posts

Personal satisfaction?

Your mileage may vary, but I take a certain pride in a well-fought battle, win or lose.

• Cool 7

[NOBS]
Members
553 posts
5,979 battles

I've come to the conclusion that you can't win every battle, my new goal is just to give more damage then I recieved in each battle, and try not to die. 

If I learned nothing else from my first season of ranked, if I'm dead I'm depending on others, if I stay alive, I can still influence the battle. 

• Cool 3

Members
18 posts
5,804 battles

Cheers guys needed some perspective. Game has improved a great deal since clan taught me  few rules such as #1 stay alive, as capt ho pointed out can't do much when you are dead.

• Cool 2

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

Some games are just losses, no matter what you do. I don’t know why, but streaks happen. When you have majority of caps and points, but your team is like lets lemming train to death for that last cap...

Though sometimes it is possible to make the difference. Make sure to be there when that point arrives :)

Edited by LemonadeWarrior
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,675 posts
25,826 battles

Personal improvement and satisfaction.

Win rate varies and a lot has to do with potatoes playing or not at the time, stuff which you cannot control. I do not fixate on WR too much

I focus more on playing to the class' strengths, and the statistic i care about for me is improving my average damage per ship every time. If I can strive to up the average damage for a given ship (my avg damage), I am doing better. I went from 50% to 53.5% after I started caring about it. Watching YT videos of good players helped.

• Cool 1

Members
1,788 posts
5,665 battles

The interest is beyond the game. Its the Era 1900-1945 and the Romance of the Mighty ships that played a major part in History!!!! That's all I play for.

• Cool 3

Alpha Tester
3,710 posts
1,392 battles

The satisfaction of self improvement. I view the purpose of playing a game as getting better at the game, winning is the objective of each individual game, but self improvement so you can perform even better is the real long term goal.

Coming back after having quit for 2 years was not kind to me, but already im seeing my games improve from from when i first came back. You use stats as something to try and improve, dont worry about the absolute value, as long as you never stop trying to get better you will become great eventually. You should always try to think about what you could have done better in a game, even one where you did well and won, since people are not perfect there is always something you could have done better. If you lose, try to think how you could have prevented it, even if the loss is obviously not on you go through the process of examining it and trying to think how you, personally, might have been able to fix it. Knowing proper ideal tactics is one thing, but those depend on your team mates also knowing them. Knowing how to adapt to your team is the real secret, recognizing when someone knows what they are doing and trying to support their efforts, recognizing when someone doesn't and not getting yourself killed trying to help them. Dont worry too much about win rate, it is important and good to look at overall but you will have streaks, and some streaks can seem to last days. If you fixate on that stat too much you will just get frustrated and your play will suffer. You just worry about examining each game you play, win or lose, and trying to figure out a way you could have done better.

Intuition is key in this sort of game. People can state tactics but unless you have internalized them and feel them you will not really be able to draw on it reliably. The way you stop doing stupid things is to first do them, and then realize that was a stupid thing you just did. You do this by always being critical of yourself, even when you did well. It doesn't just have to be your mistakes though, watch people play if you die in a match, dont go back to port, watching others play, good or bad, can teach you things.

• Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles
3 hours ago, 3rdBlindMouse said:

Just venting but if this continues why would I want to continue improving?

Because the only thing in this game that feels better than knowing you made a solid contribution to a win.... is knowing that you carried your team to a win. 

• Cool 1

[SUCIT]
Members
848 posts
3,659 battles

Recently I came back to WOWS from over a year off. I was (am) a 50/50 player. When i got back i joined a clan and got taught some fundamentals of play and started to bring my win/loss to almost 50/50 over all after having a deficit of 45. Over a few weeks i had got within 3 wins of 50/50 overall, my game has improved immensely then within a few days that gap has blown out again beyond 20 despite my improved game play. Had I afked all those games i almost feel as though id have an almost 50% win rate not the 30% I have. Just venting but if this continues why would I want to continue improving?

Focus on playing better, and the wins will come.  Don't worry about what your team does, just try and do the most you can for every game.  You'll find yourself carrying more games as you get better just because you're playing smart.  Everyone hits a slump now and then due to the nature of random teams.  The slump will end. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,863 battles

Cheers guys needed some perspective. Game has improved a great deal since clan taught me  few rules such as #1 stay alive, as capt ho pointed out can't do much when you are dead.

I always play to win and try to lead by example. :cap_old:For good or bad

• Cool 1

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Great topic! I don't believe I've ever seen one like this on this board.

As others have said above, it's only for personal sastifaction, bragging rights, or the measuring of your E-dk.

If you worry about your stats, it's going to take away your enjoyment of the game. It'll make you not want to play at all, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, tbh.

The majority of gamers like the grind in games. You push through to get yourself to the place that you want to be, but that's usually not enough to satisfy. The majority I don't think wants to be on the top of the totem pole, they just want to be a little over average. It can wear on you when the game doesn't allow for that.

I will say that this game has more to do with your skills, and less to do about your team. It's been said since the game went live that you are solely responsible for the wins. You have to carry everyone else over the finish line. You can't do that in every ship, and even the ones that you can, it's always extremely difficult to do so. It takes all the enjoyment out of the game because you're the only one that's " hyper sensitive" on the win. 

Don't take your stats seriously on a game that's no where near a AAA game. You can have much more fun playing a little crappy  $6 game on Steam.

Fart around, and have fun. Don't make this a second job.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,164 battles
1 hour ago, Raven114 said:

The interest is beyond the game. Its the Era 1900-1945 and the Romance of the Mighty ships that played a major part in History!!!! That's all I play for.

Hear! Hear!

• Cool 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles

There is nothing wrong with self improvement, the biggest question is, are you having fun?  

• Cool 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

A) I would assume your incentive to play well is that you care about winning, otherwise you wouldn't be here.

B) I seriously doubt/hope that had you gone afk you would have won half of those games instead of the 30%. That's because you won 30% while trying. If going afk would have increased your winrate by 20%, then you are a serious detriment to your team. And I doubt you are.

• Cool 1

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Members
449 posts
1,963 battles

I'd say play to win, do the best you can with what you have and your abilities, but also remember this is just a game. A recreational creation. WoWs came in to the arena a good bit after WoT so it didn't have the huge competitive crowd that had been with WoT for a while, thus WoWs and it's community in general is more chillax (though WoT residents, the influx of new people, are making it much more recreational these days thus more enjoyable). I know some games, no matter what MMO you play, are just terrible but don't lose your mind over it. It is just a game, pixels on a screen. Take the enjoyment you can out of it, and if it gets hard to do that then take a break for a while. I'm currently trawling through heaps of single-player games I've bought on sale over the years and never gotten around to actually playing like Fallout 4 (which is just a hoot!) and I'll be back to WoWs later on energized.

• Cool 1

[-NQ-]
Members
47 posts
3,537 battles

In the 48 games I've played in the Musashi, I've never once been below 5th on the team, usually ranking first or second. Despite this, I have a 42% WR in the ship.

Members
333 posts
3,431 battles
21 minutes ago, Xanderzoo123 said:

In the 48 games I've played in the Musashi, I've never once been below 5th on the team, usually ranking first or second. Despite this, I have a 42% WR in the ship.

(I'm not directing this at you in particular Xanderzoo)  That's always frustrating, you work hard lead the team, and still can't carry hard enough.  Sometimes nothing is going to save the potatoes from themselves, other times it is just being in the right place to save their bacon.  So maybe look and see if there is anything you can change in your game play to give your team a better chance at a win. 

I watched a  video replay where a player who sank mid game was astounded when the team came back to pull out the win.  I think it came down to their ability to focus on the red ships that had been damaged heavily in earlier fighting and taking them out, which removed their guns from the battle; and over time shifted the momentum back in the green teams favor.  It happened because one group worked together to gradually change the balance of power on the playing field, instead of yolo, single file into an enemy who out numbered them.  Successful use of island cover, and focus firing, and I'm guessing since there wasn't much going on in chat that some of them at least were on voice chat and coordinating their actions.  Of course it's always possible they were just paying attention to the mini-map and watching how things were developing.  Things like that are underrated by most captains.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

What incentive do I have to play well?

cause' winning is funner than losing?  or has winning become passé these dayz?  Losing is the new winning?  

Beta Testers
1,256 posts
8,155 battles

I assume you play to have fun.  And, because you are posting here, you also value skill, ie you don't just "play for fun".

for me, for the most part, if I'm skilled at something, I enjoy using those skills - playing better, ultimately, leads to more fun for people with my mindset, not just over the wins, but because I spend longer per match using my skills and getting the gratification from the results.

Part of teh secret to a game like this, to enjoy it more, is to learn to accept delayed gratification.

Members
18 posts
5,804 battles

To those who took the time to respond to this post I am grateful. Thank You for helping me regain some perspective and for breaking me out of my negative mindset. I enjoy the game, the ships, the history and stories that go along with them, and i enjoy playing a game with like minded individuals. Again Thank You all.

[-K-]
Members
615 posts
4,912 battles

Incentives can vary and kudos to you for learning new play styles from clan mates.

There are some great points already presented here, personally i play to win, but win in style enough to have a video replay featured one day.

Last tip if having a bad run try diving up with players. Co-ordinated ship's and game play can dominate in a random game

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles

First and foremost, play for your own personal enjoyment.  Which is not to say that wins and losses don't matter, but rather to point out that when that enjoyment is gone then it's probably best to take a break and get your head back on straight.  Tilt does happen in this game, and it's particularly dangerous for players like us who are good enough to think we can do it all, but not great enough to actually do it.

Now that your clanmates are teaching you some of the basics to lay a strong foundation under your game, you can also start to look beyond that.  By which I mean, looking back over your replay files (perhaps during one of your breaks :Smile_Default: ) to peer beyond your final stats and see if there was actually something you could have done better to help the team out, or even just to make the final score a little closer.  If you watch a lot of unicum-level players (I do), you'll notice that they are extremely good at seeing the full picture via their minimap and placing their ship in ideal position to have the greatest influence on the battle.

Probably 18 months or so ago, I had what was at that time my best game ever from a statistical standpoint.  In a Clemson in a tier 5 battle, I finished the game with 3 kills, 2 caps, and 153k damage...and a loss.  Obviously I finished top on my team, and my initial reaction was along the lines "What more could I do?" and "Can't carry that much dead weight".  Until I went back and watched the replay file, and saw that I could absolutely have salvaged the win had I focused first on a low-health target slightly behind the ship I was fighting when my destroyer finally went down.  Instead I kept pouring fire into a DD with more health than me while receiving shots from both of them...something really simple and basic which I simply didn't notice in the heat of the moment.  For me at least, realizing things like that helps tremendously in cutting down the frustration, as I've found a factor I can personally control vs. feeling hopeless in the hands of random matchmaking.