You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

7 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
2,069 posts
5,874 battles

Please forgive me if I sound a bit rude:

Is it just me, or are late night teams profoundly different from regular daytime/evening teams when it comes to player quality?

Ever since I started shifting my sessions closer to midnight and sometimes even later (what can I say, I do have other things to do) sometime in April, my WR has dropped quite a bit, even though the number of battles played has been less than before.

I haven't noticed any changes in my playstyle, only that I've started playing some newly researched and bought ships, among them a tier 9 CV (which admittedly, because I was playing completely stock and with a retraining captain in randoms from the first battle onwards, my stats after 28 battles in it suck: 28% WR and more than 13k damage below the server average).

Even when I play ships that I've had for a while, however, I've completely failed to achieve the first-battle win that wasn't uncommon not more than 2 months ago when my sessions were in the afternoon and evening rather than close to midnight.

Has my play quality dropped that much to incur such a WR drop, or is there something about the late-night playerbase that makes it more difficult to win?

PS: It is not my intention to demean any specific players in particular, and I apologize if I accidentally did.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,316 posts
4,264 battles

For the most part, the NA server will host people from the Americas. And after midnight, that means very few people awake and many of them arguably sleep-deprived, tired after a long day, and not at their best. If you get a team full of those, it doesn't matter how good they are at their best; they are at their not-best when they team up with you.

In addition, maybe you also are not quite as sharp after midnight as you otherwise would have been. Again, not to demean you or your skills - but fatigue and supreme combat-effectiveness definitely do not go together. It's the "Yeah, I'm fine; I can drive a couple more hours" syndrome all over again, only this time the worst that can happen is that your imaginary ship blows up instead of you wrapping your car round a solid object & killing yourself.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
3,710 posts
1,392 battles

Thing is you arent going to have a nighttime team facing a daytime team, even if there is a difference. That should balance out, the only thing that stays consistent is you either way.

One thing about nighttime is you will often get larger tier spreads more often or less than full games more often, this can alter the kind of approach you use towards a game, you dont do the same opening moves in a 9v9 as you would a 12v12 in many cases. So too could more nuanced factors of the matchmaker be getting skewed with the lower population it has to work with. It could be the slight 'offness' of that leading into confirmation bias and bad luck compounding to cause a death spiral of frustration, i know if i get several losses in a row i start playing worse because im sitting there dazed wondering whats going on. One must be aware of their own psychology and plan accordingly.

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
6,461 posts
2,405 battles

It's when the vodka kicks in.

• Cool 1

[RLENT]
Members
52 posts
3,492 battles

I prefer to play late night nowadays (11-3 am pst) and try to avoid playing during the day. I actually experienced quite the opposite of what you described. Players normally communicate more and play better as a team. Of course not everyone, but I personally think that way. Of course i could be just lucky or unlucky...depending what time i play, but as long as it works for me....meh i dont care.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
11 minutes ago, Katakis said:

I prefer to play late night nowadays (11-3 am pst) and try to avoid playing during the day. 

hmmm...vampire?