You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_no_one_

Roon - i need help.

24 comments in this topic

Members
475 posts
5,642 battles

I am running the Roon with the concealment and the reload module.The problem with this is the damn rudder shift time is 9.1seconds and it really shows when trying to dodge incoming shells 

The reload module is good and i use the spotter plane to help at long ranges but in the end i think i should play the Roon the same way i play with the Nurnberg. Long range HE spammer. And my stats  with the Nurnberg playing this way are very good. What you guys think about this?

A - Use the reload and concealment

B- Use the reload and improve rudder 

C- Use range and improve rudder

Members
1,866 posts

Some people like it, I think Hipper with the new buff and Hindenberg are better. Suffer as best you can until you can get Hindenberg, it won't disappoint you like Roon.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Right on the money with the Nurnberg comparison. Roon is very much a long range range kiter, though HE spam isn't always necessary if you can keep people at arms' length and get good plunging shots on them. Remember that her guns have great AP, and while volume of fire can make up for her "okay" HE a lot of times its best just to punch through the deck armor at range and watch them cry. That said if you're top tier with only one or two other 9s in the game on a map with lots of cover she evolves into "Battlecruiser Roon". Get up close and lay down the hurt on smaller cruisers and destroyers.

• Cool 1

Members
475 posts
5,642 battles

i had another battle and the same damn situation occurs. i am timing the BB reload to make the turn and runaway, but this ship is so sluggish the moment i am still turning i take another salvo in my broadside. I think i need to have the range and rudder module.

Edited by _no_one_

[NDA]
Supertester
4,835 posts
13,768 battles

OP, you might need professional help but don't worry there is a way to get help. Step 1, have replays enabled. Step 2, play the ship you are having problems with. Step 3, grab a coin preferably something made of gold [one of those gold foil chocolates will work] and summon the Master of Replay commentary. The words are as follow. 

I Summon you Smaug of the Seven Seas, Inventor of the Time Extension, Keeper of the Treasured Vault, Earl of Salt, Chancellor of Your Replays, Rumored Evil Genius, Master of Narai, Sage of the Commentary and Collector of Damage. @Lord_ZathCome forth and assist this player in their time of need.  

Submit you replay to the nice dragon who show up and than tune into the weekend live stream for a review. Or catch the replay later when it goes up on the YouTube channel. 

Good luck and fair seas, 

Minion of Smaug 

Edited by RedSeaBear
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Members
475 posts
5,642 battles
8 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

OP, you might need professional help but don't worry there is a way to get help. Step 1, have replays enabled. Step 2, play the ship you are having problems with. Step 3, grab a coin preferably something made of gold [one of those gold foil chocolates will work] and summon the Master of Replay commentary. The words are as follow. 

I Summon you Smaug of the Seven Seas, Inventor of the Time Extension, Keeper of the Treasured Vault, Earl of Salt, Chancellor of Your Replays, Rumored Evil Genius, Master of Narai, Sage of the Commentary and Collector of Damage. @Lord_ZathCome forth and assist this player in their time of need.  

Submit you replay to the nice dragon who show up and than tune into the weekend live stream for a review. Or catch the replay later when it goes up on the YouTube channel. 

Good luck and fair seas, 

Minion of Smaug 

lol In the end i think i found the right balance. keep the reload but drop the concealment. And kitte a lot.

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,651 battles

Reload isn't worth it. I use range so you can shoot BB at 20km+. At that point, stock rudder shift would be good enough to dodge. CSM1 increases enemy dispersion and makes it easier for you to get close when necessary.

Members
475 posts
5,642 battles
3 minutes ago, awildseaking said:

Reload isn't worth it. I use range so you can shoot BB at 20km+. At that point, stock rudder shift would be good enough to dodge. CSM1 increases enemy dispersion and makes it easier for you to get close when necessary.

The spotter plane helps in that situations.

Edited by _no_one_

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,651 battles
9 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

The spotter plane helps in that situations.

Only for a short period of time. You have a lot more versatility with range mod, especially in competitive. Double that up with the spotter and you can outrange some BBs even.

1sec reduction isn't substantial when your primary source of damage is fires and not HE damage. Being able to light a fire from extreme range any time you like really screws over BB who want to disengage.

Range mod Hindy with propulsion mod was extremely meta during the last 2 seasons at Typhoon and then Hurricane when it was added. You can speed troll at long ranges and the shell travel time is simply too long for anyone to counter you. Hitting BBs is comically easy by comparison.

Edited by awildseaking

Members
475 posts
5,642 battles
32 minutes ago, awildseaking said:

Only for a short period of time. You have a lot more versatility with range mod, especially in competitive. Double that up with the spotter and you can outrange some BBs even.

1sec reduction isn't substantial when your primary source of damage is fires and not HE damage. Being able to light a fire from extreme range any time you like really screws over BB who want to disengage.

Range mod Hindy with propulsion mod was extremely meta during the last 2 seasons at Typhoon and then Hurricane when it was added. You can speed troll at long ranges and the shell travel time is simply too long for anyone to counter you. Hitting BBs is comically easy by comparison.

That makes sense in the Hindenburg with 12 guns and 14km concealment with the rudder shift module. In the Roon with only 9 guns i need to make the most imo.

[O_O]
Members
4,397 posts
9,512 battles

If you are relying heavily on HE with Roon, you are missing out on significant damage potential.  Roon's AP is very good.  I may try to get a fire lit, but after that it is mostly AP.

[PVE]
Members
507 posts
4,317 battles

I use the concealment module and commander skill and I do my best to use cover. If I can I'll shoot over rocks, overwise I will shoot around them. As you have noted Roon is not really an open water spammer, at least not to my satisfaction.

I started with the range module and switched to the reload module about halfway through. I could go either way with it.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles

I have used almost exclusively a double rudder+reload build on my Roon, 5.5 second rudder shift is perfectly acceptable, and allows you to doge Zao shells from 12km. Otherwise, go range+stealth, as this adds more versatility, but be warned, this thing has slower reload, and after Hipper, that might not be a very fun experience. This also means that your armor profile and torpedoes (the threat more than the actual damage) become less effective, which in turn reduces the ship’s potential damage output and performance. 

Double rudder+reload is better for randoms as you can turn insanely quick in comparison to other builds, and the combo of maneuverability and damage output means you can minimize the damage taken, while maximizing damage output. 

If you are unsure (I cannot see your play style, and cannot tell you which would be better), try both of them, and judge which one you like more. 

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,722 posts
15,351 battles

Summoned, I am here.  Yes, I can view replays of any game from any person in any ship on any game mode.  OP, feel free to send me a replay or two and I'll look to stream it live tomorrow!

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,364 battles

If it is any consolation, I set up my Roon with double rudder and reload, and am also having trouble with it.  (Part of it is that I wanted to try something different from my other two tier 9 cruisers: Donskoi, which I set up with double rudder and range [I do try to use my radar, but can also burn battleships from 19 km if that is how the game is going], and Baltimore, with concealment and reload).  Anyway, Roon is the next major grind I should be taking on, so do let us know if you figure it out!

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,771 battles
7 hours ago, _no_one_ said:

I am running the Roon with the concealment and the reload module.The problem with this is the damn rudder shift time is 9.1seconds and it really shows when trying to dodge incoming shells 

The reload module is good and i use the spotter plane to help at long ranges but in the end i think i should play the Roon the same way i play with the Nurnberg. Long range HE spammer. And my stats  with the Nurnberg playing this way are very good. What you guys think about this?

Roon's maneuverability is actually slightly better than the Hindenburg's. I played the Roon with improved rudder mods
and range, I think. It was a pleasure playing 79 great games with her. :Smile_smile:

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,824 posts
9,566 battles

Range mod isn’t worth it. You don’t hit anything at that range anyway. 

Go full consealment build, get as close as you can, turn around, and use the turret layout to your advantage. Running away at full speed while having 2/3 of your turrets always on target. 

I run dual fighter plane for peeking behind islands and spotting torps. The hydro is good too. 

Beta Testers
256 posts
5,937 battles

Roon is super tanky. Don't be afraid to back into fights and you can be so annoying to BB even in the 11-15 km range bracket ( open water!!) . Things get tough just jet out and go quiet if you have to

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,831 posts
4,716 battles

Yeeeeeeeeeeah yall got this semi right.

Roon is the 2nd course in "Deutschland vor allem im schweren Kreuzer".

More or less, you sit at range (hence spotter plane) and burn the big guys...then mid game when they are thinned out and wounded you close in and kite heavy cruisers and murder everything with AP.

Criminal Torp Arcs as well...go for concealment and fire builds. Rudder is semi good but keep dem eyes open.

I need to start doing player guides for these cruisers...

Members
2 posts
653 battles
8 hours ago, _no_one_ said:

Have 59 randoms in the Roon and really like the ship and do very well in it (shameless plug)

Started with full concealment build and struggled early.  Last 40 games have been double rudder to wiggle and only concealment mod is the commander skill.  Like reload vs range and say flip a coin on spotter plan or fighter.  HE 60% of time and AP the rest - especially as the distance closes and people start trying to turn around in front of u.

For me the Roon is a ship you must constantly keep moving, wiggle ur butt out to get the rear guns to fire and kiting works well with 6 guns out back.  hiding and being sneaky isn't its thing.  Be a bit patient and later in battle it will brawl very well, actually have a good number of kills with the torps - bummer it only has 4 per side.

If you play it like ur Nurnberg the first half of battle and then push the second half(something the Nurnberg can't really do) you will do well

good luck

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Supertester
3,093 posts
6,832 battles

Concealment build with a spotter plane.  If you have the spotter plane module that increases duration, equip that as well.  Reload module too.  9.1 second rudder shift is more than manageable.  And get used to a longer rudder shift, because the Hindenberg, the entire reason you play the German line, has a long rudder shift as well.  Roon is a kiting ship.   Not necessarily a long range one, but from 14km+ she has no equal in terms of her ability to hit her target and kite away.  When you need to change directions and don't want to get blapped, use the concealment and range to go dark and reemerge only when you are in good position.  Roon is an excellent ship.  And don't forget the AP.  Especially against battleships who are broadside to you.  Aim high and watch the 5k-6k salvos flood in.  Roon is not a torpedo boat.  Torps should be your LAST resort.  With only one launcher per side, you don't have the alpha to make torpedo runs worthwhile.

EDIT: The guy above me speaks truth as well.

Edited by Pope_Shizzle

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles
8 hours ago, awildseaking said:

I went with reload and extra rudder shift. I tried reload w/spotter, but too many times I missed opportunities because the plane was on CD. With range mod, pretty much the only time I'm not shooting is when turrets are turning to a different target.

Concealment mod, meh. I find that I'm usually further out than base concealment, (w/CE) or well inside what my concealment would be with the upgrade, so the kilometre and change difference isn't really a factor.

Edit: for some reason I thought we were talking about Hindenberg lol.

I did run the same setup on Roon, but results were pretty meh.

Edited by Skpstr

Members
475 posts
5,642 battles

thank you for sharing your opinions in this matter.

I am using atm the double rudder and the reload module and i am enjoying this setup.

With the Hindenburg with this setup the concealment go to 14km.

So the time i reach tier X i will probaly switch the reload for the range and spam he .

Interesting note: i went on to compare the stats on the ibuki and zao vs roon hindenburg. The germans are actually the best firestaters. The japans cruisers can't compete with the rate of fire in the germans cruisers.

Edited by _no_one_