Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DrewTenma

WG: Please fix New Mexico Armor

42 comments in this topic

Members
188 posts
3,554 battles

You know its broken because a Tier 5 DD can citadel the thing. It has urine soaked toilet paper for armor and turning bow in and angling does nothing to save you. In the New Mex, your only hope for survival is to camp at the back of the map and pray your not spotted or you are lunch for EVERYTHING... #ThePowerCreepisReal 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 5

Members
142 posts

What? Isn't NM one of the few US BBs with turtleback? How are you getting citadeled so easily?

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,942 battles
22 minutes ago, Poharan said:

What? Isn't NM one of the few US BBs with turtleback? How are you getting citadeled so easily?

This. Say what you will about its speed or dispersion, but NM is probably the tankiest tier 6 boat after Bayern.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,243 posts
17,255 battles
5 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

This. Say what you will about its speed or dispersion, but NM is probably the tankiest tier 6 boat after Bayern.

And, as I was quite correctly corrected about not that long ago; it has moved down from its previous number 2 slot for highest torpedo protection (now occupied by Alabama,) to number 3.

Not number 3 for battleships only; New Mexico has the third best torpedo damage reduction in the game.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,719 battles
13 hours ago, DrewTenma said:

You know its broken because a Tier 5 DD can citadel the thing. It has urine soaked toilet paper for armor and turning bow in and angling does nothing to save you. In the New Mex, your only hope for survival is to camp at the back of the map and pray your not spotted or you are lunch for EVERYTHING... #ThePowerCreepisReal 

Post videos if you want to be taken seriously.  We need to know the decisions you are making over the course of a battle so we can help you make better choices in the future.

You only have 9 games in the New Mexico averaging 28k damage.  I have 139 battles in the New Mex and average 59k damage with a 58% win rate and a 71% survival rate.  Yes, you heard that correctly, a 71% survival rate.  I am still alive at the end of the match nearly 3 out of every 4 matches.  I can't be surviving that often by camping the back of the map while also doing that much damage and getting that many wins.

Do you think that somewhere in between the MASSIVE disparity in results is a learning curve you have yet to go through?  Post videos and let the community help you.  Pointing blame right from the start instead of taking personal accountability and asking for advice/tactical assistance is not what makes a winning attitude.

EDIT: Takes an especially troubled individual to have issue with this post enough to downvote it.  Facts really do trigger the emotionally handicapped.  And if it's asking for the OP to post a video that illicits anger, think about this:  If the OP is too lazy to post a video or too afraid to post one for fear that their poor in-game decisions will be revealed for all to see, it explains why they they are unable to perform at a high level.  They simply lack the effort and healthy mindset.  Posting the videos not only help us to help the OP (isn't that what the forum community should be doing?), they also show us that the OP is truly committed to improving.  It takes less than 3 minutes to post a video and there are plenty of resources online showing how to do it, so there is ZERO excuse.

Edited by VGLance
  • Cool 8
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 5

[INTEL]
Members
8,577 posts
25,666 battles

A DD  or CA can citadel older battleships through the casemates for the secondary guns. I have done it many times but its rare. 

I do not think this is what the OP means.

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,994 posts
5,923 battles

New Mexico can't be citadeled too easily, but the rest of the ship is enormously squishy to overmatch and HE. An angled Fuso or Bayern will easily out-tank a New Mexico.

Really the things that have powercrept New Mexico are IFHE and overmatch. This is combined with her unreasonably bad accuracy and painfully long reload. I basically stopped playing New Mexico after I got Arizona since she corrects at least half of that with her 1.8 sigma vs 1.5. I can handle a long reload as long as I know my shells will hit consistently. 

• Cool 3

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,828 battles

NM is a favorite, i even bought a permacamo during the last sale. Dont recall ever taking a cit from a DD, gave a few up to other BBs.....

But at the moment i must respectfully disagree with your request, i feel that ship is quite well armored personally.

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,858 posts
6,855 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

And, as I was quite correctly corrected about not that long ago; it has moved down from its previous number 2 slot for highest torpedo protection (now occupied by Alabama,) to number 3.

Not number 3 for battleships only; New Mexico has the third best torpedo damage reduction in the game.

So how's it go... Yammy, bama, then NM?

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,858 posts
6,855 battles
1 hour ago, VGLance said:

Post videos if you want to be taken seriously.  We need to know the decisions you are making over the course of a battle so we can help you make better choices in the future.

You only have 9 games in the New Mexico averaging 28k damage.  I have 139 battles in the New Mex and average 59k damage with a 58% win rate and a 71% survival rate.  Yes, you heard that correctly, a 71% survival rate.  I am still alive at the end of the match nearly 3 out of every 4 matches.  I can't be surviving that often by camping the back of the map while also doing that much damage and getting that many wins.

Do you think that somewhere in between the MASSIVE disparity in results is a learning curve you have yet to go through?  Post videos and let the community help you.  Pointing blame right from the start instead of taking personal accountability and asking for advice/tactical assistance is not what makes a winning attitude.

I suspect that what's happening here is that when the op was driving t5 and below boats he was making some fundamental errors in positioning, but because of a variety of factors he never got sufficiently punished for them.  (such as, but not limited to, low skill of early tier players and equivalent tier ships having terrible dispersion)

Now he's at t6, which means he risks going up against t8 opponents more often than not.  He's gonna be vulnerable to overmatch, and he can't rely on his opponents to have poor aim, or even when they dont have poor aim for their ships dispersion to be poor enough to save him.

T6 is when the mistakes you could get away with before start to hurt you; and it only gets worse the higher you go.  By the time you reach t10 a single minor mistake by one person can be enough to send you back to Port and cost your team the win.  I suspect the op just needs to get his crap together and realize he's moving out of the kiddy league; you might've been scoring homeruns all day long when hitting off the tee, but you don't have the tee anymore... You gotta start showing real ability or you're gonna be in trouble.

Edited by Shadeylark
  • Boring 1

[NAVY]
Members
1,009 posts
3,767 battles

I've played over 200 battles in the New Mexico between Co-Op, Operation, and Random battle modes and I don't think I've ever had a DD citadel me even when I've been caught with my pants down and the mistake of sailing broadside to a Tier 6 Pan-Asian Ashan or Russsian Gnevny. I found the New Mex to be pretty damn good at tanking for a tier 6 BB even when facing tier 7 and some tier 8 ships, with the exception of some of the tier 7 and 8 BBs with the 15" and 16" AP rounds, especially bow on. 

Edited by daVinci761st

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
225 posts
8,160 battles

NM is tanky against 14'' or below AP shells, when angled. Due to 25mm bow armor, she can be vulnerable to 15''+ AP shells overmatch through the bow. If face with that dilemma, you want to show just enough broadside to bait the enemy into shooting your belt instead of your bow, then turn in as the shells come in so they would bounced off the belt armor. 

Also because of the 25mm bow armor, and weak upper belt, NM is vulnerable to 8'' (203mm) HE spam. 25mm can withstand HE shells 6'' (152mm) and below without the IFHE perk, but will get penned if they take IFHE. there's really nothing you can do against HE spam, other than dodge best you can, and try to kill the HE spammer ASAP. Judicious use of damage control is a must. The weak upper belt and super structure will also be vulnerable to cruiser and dd AP shells, so showing broadside to such ships is also not advised, as the damage can rack up.

• Cool 1

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
300 posts
9,819 battles

I never did particularly well in the old girl but I always referred to her as my floating iron brick because of her ability to shrug off rounds. Slow and turns like an intoxicated lost whale but she can tank like a boss. Honestly, when I'm in a higher tier BB (French and British for sure) and see a New Mex in the open I usually burn her down instead of bouncing AP rounds off her. Good ship for Tier 6 but she doesn't uptier very well. Pretty good in scenarios though especially with that free artic camo they gave us last year. 

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles
4 hours ago, Poharan said:

Shooting it in the Barbettes?  Seriously, shoot the Barbettes and USN ships melt.  Arizona, its well armored, but she dun like hits to the barbettes. 

Also, the USN BBs are not hard to damage, they take craploads of normal damage.  Of all the ships ive fired at, USN ships are insanely easy to damage.

[RLGN]
Members
8,243 posts
17,255 battles
1 hour ago, Shadeylark said:

Correct.

1 hour ago, Shadeylark said:

T6 is when the mistakes you could get away with before start to hurt you; and it only gets worse the higher you go.  By the time you reach t10 a single minor mistake by one person can be enough to send you back to Port and cost your team the win.  I suspect the op just needs to get his crap together and realize he's moving out of the kiddy league; you might've been scoring homeruns all day long when hitting off the tee, but you don't have the tee anymore... You gotta start showing real ability or you're gonna be in trouble.

While not wrong; dancing around for ten minutes waiting for someone to be an idiot isn't fun; it's boring as hell and a dull chore.

[ICE9]
Members
811 posts
5 hours ago, Big_Spud said:

. I basically stopped playing New Mexico after I got Arizona since she corrects at least half of that with her 1.8 sigma vs 1.5. I can handle a long reload as long as I know my shells will hit consistently. 

Heck yeah, I'll throw down in a brawl with good old Arizona any time.

[O_O]
Members
4,401 posts
9,529 battles
7 hours ago, DrewTenma said:

LOL....wut? 

Edited by desmo_2

[4HIM]
Members
1,799 posts
4,058 battles

Biggest gripe I have about the NM is the reload.  Sometimes the sigma will troll you.  But otherwise it's pretty decent for an old USN slow BB.  

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles
6 hours ago, Shadeylark said:

Negative sir, it’s Yamato, Alabama, Amagi, then New Mexico, with 55%, 50%, 49%, and 44%?, respectively, I think. 

EDIT: New Mexico has 42% TDR, my bad. 

Edited by GabeTheDespot

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
558 posts
3,623 battles

I found that with proper angling, my Mex was very hard to citadel, especially close.  I did, however, suffer some normal penetrations because of the "all or nothing" armor scheme.

I am very wary when I get uptiered because of the bow and stern armor.

CS

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,804 posts
10,590 battles
6 hours ago, Shadeylark said:

4 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Correct.

While not wrong; dancing around for ten minutes waiting for someone to be an idiot isn't fun; it's boring as hell and a dull chore.

Actually New Mexico does not have the 3rd best TDR%. Of all BB's in the game (which is the class with the best TDR%) it ranks...

1. Yamato/Musashi = 56%
  2. Alabama = 50% 
  3. Alabama ST = 49%
  4. Amagi B Hull/Alsace = 45%
  5. Amagi A Hull = 43%
  6. New Mexico = 42%

So it has the 6th ranked TDR% and 7 (Amagi 2X's) other BB's have a better % and if released in it's current WIP/Testing phase stats the Massachusetts will have 46% so it will bump New Mexico to 7th.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,804 posts
10,590 battles
15 minutes ago, GabeTheDespot said:

Negative sir, it’s Yamato, Alabama, Amagi, then New Mexico, with 55%, 50%, 49%, and 44%?, respectively, I think. 

EDIT: New Mexico has 42% TDR, my bad. 

Most of your numbers are incorrect and you forgot some. Correct #'s and full list of ships shown above in my post...

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,804 posts
10,590 battles
29 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

My only beef with NM is her ugly deck color. It needs that natural teak look.

All of the US BB's but for South Carolina, when fully upgraded, have the dark grey deck. If you want the natural teal/light wood colored deck on New Mexico run the A Hull.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this