You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

50 comments in this topic

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
9 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

So its one of THOSE ships. Requires a 14 pt captain to make it really work. Kind of a painful grind up until that point. Its not unique in this but such ships can give a bad opinion of the ship up until you reach that sweetspot. Makes it subpar for use as a captain trainer (there will eventually be an Italian line, right?).

I’m sure there will be an Italian line coming up. But yeah it’s one of those ships. You really need CE on pretty much every ship in game and IFHE really makes those guns work. Unfortunate but not too bad. I just boosted a captain up to 14 points and it helped a ton. (At first I had one CE and one IFHE captain). 

[CVA16]
Members
3,542 posts
11,703 battles
1 hour ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

You really need CE on pretty much every ship in game and IFHE really makes those guns work.

The 14 pt captain probably applies to most light cruisers. Took IFHE first on my Cleveland and found it playable without CE. If you hide behind rocks or play scenarios, CE is wasted. Still plan on getting CE when I get those 14 pts. At tier 8 I think CE will be required as it faces too many insta-delete opponents. Being seen first will be very bad.

Akizuki falls into the same category (but isn't a premium).

[PVE]
Members
9,069 posts
16,103 battles
9 hours ago, Faygo_Redpop said:

I have opinions , Community Contributors have opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own, Sometimes their opinions are ones I agree with and sometimes not. I this case I don't agree, and that's fine. I only have an issue when someone states their opinions as facts.

Same here. Well said.

• Cool 1

[COOLI]
Members
78 posts
6,986 battles

Yeah it is one of THOSE ships: a CL. There is virtually no CL in the game that doesn't need both (minus the poor brits and their AP). The guns are pretty darn accurate and good velocity so you can stand off (not the best range) and get better hits than an atlanta. And the ability to dodge and weave is essential. But seriously this thing is a BEAST. I love going weak flank, engaging the DDs, and then kiting away dumping torpedoes EVERYWHERE. if I have a flank to myself and multiple CAs and BBs coming I often get 3 to 6 torp hits from random wide salvoes. Do it right and you can put torps in the water every 30 seconds. So in addition to IFHE and CE bring TAE for these Italian Stallions! Yeah they take a lot of points to make them work. But they are fun ships no matter what. I absolutely cannot wait to see a line in the game ASAP!

• Cool 1

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
711 posts
3,330 battles
On 7/30/2018 at 12:16 PM, dawggunner said:

I absolutely cannot wait to see a line in the game ASAP!

Me either, but funnily enough, the presence of Duca d'Aosta and Duca degli Abruzzi (the two leaders of their respective subclasses) as Premiums leads me to suspect that from tier 6 upward, the Italian cruiser line will probably be comprised of CAs: Trento at 6, Bolzano at 7, Zara at 8, and some design projects or made-up ships at 9 and 10.

--Helms

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,678 posts
8,894 battles
On 5/18/2018 at 2:02 AM, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

She's a light cruiser. What, exactly, were you expecting, that she somehow be able to one shot T9 BB's? She's a perfectly serviceable scout and support ship, which is exactly what she is. Shocking, amirite?

Just because you can't make it work doesn't make it bad, it just means you can't make it work. I find it odd, also, as your stats say you've never played the ship. I wonder how you've formed an opinion on something you have no experience in. In fact, the only nation you've played is France, and your 3 most played ships are premiums. Going on the available stats, I have to say that it's the driver, and not the ship, or ships, in your case. You have less than 450 rounds played, you'll eventually gain the experience to make ships do what you wish them to do. :)

She's a light cruiser, but put a 15 pt captain, spec conceal and IFHE, show your stern and zigzag kite, the reds will soon start treating you as a CA, not a CL - it is very tanky even without using RP.

But good results are locked behind the 15 pt captain, I think at 40$ they should sell it with an adequately skilled crew, as a bundle. Speaking as an Abruzzi fan.

• Cool 1

[RST]
[RST]
Members
494 posts
12,936 battles

I have 40 battles in mine with a sub 10 pt capt. Im at 47.5% with almost 30k av damage. The ship feels like their is alot more potential left in her yet. I am looking forward to IFHE and a little better concealment. It reminds me of the T6 Cleveland.

• Cool 1

Members
64 posts

My first game with a 6 point captain, I got over 100K with her. However, I have lost the next 6 games in a row. X200 weekends are tough to gauge a ship because you either get a great team or just awful ones. However, I really want to like her a lot due to her flexibility and her guns. But we will see.....

Good luck everyone.

Beta Testers
94 posts
4,214 battles

Love the ship despise the guns.  She's quick and fairly agile but I really think IFHE is the way to go.  I found the AP on these guns to be pathetic at best.  Consistently shattering rounds off a broadside Fiji at 8km is depressing.  Gonna respec my captain and include IFHE and give it some more time.  Not too many games in it so far but just a couple of observations.

• Cool 1

[UNH]
Members
638 posts
1,141 battles

I play mostly cruisers, mostly russian onés and Abruzzi IS my favoritos and damage grinder. Think iof a Schors that turns properly, with 12km torps and health. Good AAA Also.

[SOB]
Members
90 posts
5,807 battles
On 5/17/2018 at 7:02 PM, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

She's a light cruiser. What, exactly, were you expecting, that she somehow be able to one shot T9 BB's? She's a perfectly serviceable scout and support ship, which is exactly what she is. Shocking, amirite?

Just because you can't make it work doesn't make it bad, it just means you can't make it work.

Very Well Said! I believe there is no such thing as a Bad Ship (with certain exceptions Krasny Krym, Ishizuchi come to mind) But even these have people who like and use them well.

[CRMSN]
Members
8,336 posts
8,908 battles
34 minutes ago, Valin_2017 said:

Very Well Said! I believe there is no such thing as a Bad Ship (with certain exceptions Krasny Krym, Ishizuchi come to mind) But even these have people who like and use them well.

I'd disagree with Ishi, I find her quite fun to play. KK, however, is so hilariously bad, just, wow. I mean, I laughed while playing her and constantly apologized to my team. :Smile_trollface:

[SOB]
Members
90 posts
5,807 battles
18 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I'd disagree with Ishi, I find her quite fun to play. KK, however, is so hilariously bad, just, wow. I mean, I laughed while playing her and constantly apologized to my team. :Smile_trollface:

Hence "But even these have people who like and use them well.

Members
1,938 posts
10,156 battles

Hey

I tried my wife's Abruzzi but found it to be garbage; it just seem to do any real damage.  I had 54 main battery hit, 28 were pens and the rest were broken shells, did start 4 fires but was less than 20K damage before I got deleted.  The ship handles decently in speed, turning, gun rotation but it just do any real damage, I did not get to explore the AP all that much but when I did, it was doing very little so I switched back to HE which was more consistent.   Just was not impressed and would not buy it personally.  I also played her Boise and it is so much better of a boat than Abruzzi, I was bottom tier in one of the 2 games but averaged around 70K for the 2 game, the other game was middle tier.  Granted it was a very limited run on both ships, but I couldn't recommend the Abruzzi for most players.

Pete 

[UFFA]
Members
1,648 posts
72 battles

Either go in close to get rid of destroyers. Your overall score won’t be as high however zeroing out a destroyer is more profitable than farming fires. If you prefer fires equip a spotter plane and learn how to use islands and pray fore fires. 

[WOLF3]
Members
20,926 posts
19,373 battles
2 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I tried my wife's Abruzzi but found it to be garbage; it just seem to do any real damage.  I had 54 main battery hit, 28 were pens and the rest were broken shells, did start 4 fires but was less than 20K damage before I got deleted.  The ship handles decently in speed, turning, gun rotation but it just do any real damage, I did not get to explore the AP all that much but when I did, it was doing very little so I switched back to HE which was more consistent.   Just was not impressed and would not buy it personally.  I also played her Boise and it is so much better of a boat than Abruzzi, I was bottom tier in one of the 2 games but averaged around 70K for the 2 game, the other game was middle tier.  Granted it was a very limited run on both ships, but I couldn't recommend the Abruzzi for most players.

Pete 

Does the captain have IFHE?  I don't own Abruzzi, but looking her up, she has 152mm guns and is a Tier VII CL.  152mm HE will fail to penetrate even 25mm armor, which is standard for BBs in Tier VII.  The Tier VIII-IX BBs that Abruzzi will encounter will have 32mm decks at the very least.  German VII+ BBs got 50mm decks.  Musashi has 57 or 58mm deck.  Higher tier Cruisers she encounters will have 25mm armor at the least.

In short, IFHE is needed to make 152mm actually do consistent damage.

Without IFHE: 152mm / 6=25.33 or 25mm of armor needed to defeat this HE shell.

With IFHE:  (152mm / 6)x1.3=32.93 or 33mm of armor needed to defeat this HE shell.

With IFHE, Abruzzi's 152mm HE shells will pen the decks of more Battleships she encounters as well as the higher tier Cruisers with heavier armor.  Fires are still RNG and one cannot rely on them too much.

Members
1,938 posts
10,156 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Does the captain have IFHE?  I don't own Abruzzi, but looking her up, she has 152mm guns and is a Tier VII CL.  152mm HE will fail to penetrate even 25mm armor, which is standard for BBs in Tier VII.  The Tier VIII-IX BBs that Abruzzi will encounter will have 32mm decks at the very least.  German VII+ BBs got 50mm decks.  Musashi has 57 or 58mm deck.  Higher tier Cruisers she encounters will have 25mm armor at the least.

In short, IFHE is needed to make 152mm actually do consistent damage.

Without IFHE: 152mm / 6=25.33 or 25mm of armor needed to defeat this HE shell.

With IFHE:  (152mm / 6)x1.3=32.93 or 33mm of armor needed to defeat this HE shell.

With IFHE, Abruzzi's 152mm HE shells will pen the decks of more Battleships she encounters as well as the higher tier Cruisers with heavier armor.  Fires are still RNG and one cannot rely on them too much.

Hey

I went back and looked and NO she did not have IFHE on it; but then neither does her Boise either and it performed much better just the same.

Pete

[WOLF3]
Members
20,926 posts
19,373 battles
On 11/7/2018 at 9:42 PM, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I went back and looked and NO she did not have IFHE on it; but then neither does her Boise either and it performed much better just the same.

Pete

Then you've been getting lucky with shot placement on Boise, because Boise's 152mm guns are no different in terms of HE penetration.

Members
1,938 posts
10,156 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Then you've been getting lucky with shot placement on Boise, because Boise's 152mm guns are no different in terms of HE penetration.

Hey

I can only speak from my real world experience with both ships when I played them.  I do have on my Boise, IFHE but I don't have enough points (15) to get DE.  I personally have no interest in buying Abruzzi due to the experience I had.  Some ships don't work for some people, like me with the USS KIdd.

Pete

Members
360 posts
4,397 battles

Won the Abruzzi in a Santa crate this year, only took it out for the first time tonight; finally getting around to knocking off a few coal snowflakes.  Only played 5 games before logging off in frustration:  90k average damage, 2 kills per game, and just 1 win in those 5 tries.  One of the losses was a 142k/3 kill game that we should have won.  This with a 10-point captain who does not have IFHE.  Seems like if you step up your WASD game you can just keep firing; she turns reasonably well and can dodge a fair amount of damage.  That 142k game I started 20 fires totaling over 30k in damage and had one flood for over 20k lol.  Definitely don't think its a bad ship as such, but I don't know how much carry potential she has.  Looking forward to adding IFHE.

• Funny 1

Members
1,938 posts
10,156 battles

Hey

Sounds like a few people may have figured it out, but I can't for the life of me to get any real damage from it.  It doesn't start fires and the AP seems very lack luster unless your very close and then your armor fails you.  I put it behind even the Indy as a terrible cruiser, the only saving grace is the heal.  It really needs more work to be a viable, useful ship IMHO.

Pete