Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
Rabbitt81

Just completed Trumpeter 1:200 USS Arizona.

24 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
384 posts
8,690 battles

Took around 8 months of work. Due to all of the controversy surrounding what color she was at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack, I painted her in measure 1. This is as she appeared in September, 1941.

The Arizona collided with the USS Oklahoma and was repainted in October, 1941. There is speculation that the ship was repainted 5-O Ocean gray- basically how she appears in game.

I'm leaning more towards this didn't happen at that time due to 5-O paint needing to be mixed and shipped to the dockyards as well as the fleet.

USS Arizona 1.jpg

USS Arizona 2.jpg

USS Arizona 3.jpg

USS Arizona 4.jpg

Edited by Rabbitt81
Corrected name of camo to measure 1, not measure 11 which is incorrect..
  • Cool 15

[PVE]
Members
384 posts
8,690 battles
Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

Dang...

Very nice.

Thank you. It's my first 1:200 scale ship model. Was very challenging but the in-game Arizona plus Youtube helped a lot!

[INTEL]
Members
6,671 posts
25,825 battles

Great job!

• Cool 1

[WDS]
Members
388 posts
7,069 battles

Wow that's awesome really nice paint job . Totally different than what I thought she looked like but really nice . 

[PVE]
Members
384 posts
8,690 battles
2 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Wow that's awesome really nice paint job . Totally different than what I thought she looked like but really nice . 

I was shocked when I opened up the 5-D paint bottle I ordered from Badger model paints. I then researched if the 5-D paint was actually that dark and indeed it was. 

[HINON]
Members
9,056 posts

Well done. How many hours do you think you put into it?

Edited by RipNuN2

[PVE]
Members
384 posts
8,690 battles
Just now, RipNuN2 said:

Well done. How long did this take you?

Thanks! Overall about 8 months of work. I completed around 2 or 3 hours on it when I found time. It helps that I am fully disabled by the V.A

Honestly I never would have attempted this build if I had a full-time job still. It would just be way too stressful I think.

• Cool 1

[WDS]
Members
388 posts
7,069 battles

I lived in Honolulu for years played golf in Pearl city all the time you could see Pearl harbor from some of the holes . Never went to the memorial it was always so crowed with Japanese tourist but they were always very respectful .

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
4,432 posts
9,616 battles

Having toured a battleship (USS Wisconsin, BB-64), I can't imagine one being painted such a dark color.  The thing would be a heat magnet, and they aren't (weren't?) well ventilated.  Wisconsin had a lot of wooden planks installed on her decks to keep the sun off the metal surfaces.  Once they heated up, the boat just got HOT.

[PVE]
Members
384 posts
8,690 battles
11 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Having toured a battleship (USS Wisconsin, BB-64), I can't imagine one being painted such a dark color.  The thing would be a heat magnet, and they aren't (weren't?) well ventilated.  Wisconsin had a lot of wooden planks installed on her decks to keep the sun off the metal surfaces.  Once they heated up, the boat just got HOT.

We do have examples such as the USS Texas painted in her 1945 colors. 5-D Dark gray faded quickly in the sun or "chalked" was the naval term for it and required constant upkeep. That's why the BB's were to be repainted 5-O Ocean gray just before the attack on Pearl Harbor.

texas.jpg

[O_O]
Members
4,432 posts
9,616 battles

This post does beg a repeat of the old question:

So, WG, when are you gonna remove the red painted top on Arizona's #3 turret?

Edited by desmo_2

[NDA]
Supertester
4,850 posts
13,862 battles

29zk5Wa.gif

I think the Arizona in game needs this paint job. 

[PVE]
Members
384 posts
8,690 battles
30 minutes ago, Jazzyblaster said:

You did a great job!

Thank you so much!

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
165 posts
3,704 battles

Fantastic work!  A beautiful ship.  o7 to you Sir. 

I'm a graduate of the University of Arizona in Tucson where they expanded their USS Arizona memorial a few years ago. 

Check out the link.  I'm proud they honor those who were killed and provide such a visual reminder for the students and visitors.

https://uanews.arizona.edu/story/uas-mall-memorial-makes-quiet-statement

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,649 posts
13,661 battles

Wow you did a great job 

The rigging is outstanding for such a small ship:cap_like:

[PVE]
Members
384 posts
8,690 battles
7 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

Wow you did a great job 

The rigging is outstanding for such a small ship:cap_like:

Thank you. I used EZ-line. It stretches and bonds instantly to super glue. And I'm sure you may have noticed I used the in-game Arizona for the rigging plans.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,649 posts
13,661 battles
Just now, Rabbitt81 said:

Thank you. I used EZ-line. It stretches and bonds instantly to super glue. And I'm sure you may have noticed I used the in-game Arizona for the rigging plans.

That was always the hardest thing to find good rigging pictures for me when I would build my ship models Thank goodness for the Internet that helped a lot with my later projects And this game definitely helps being able to do a 360 on a picture  

[PVE]
Members
384 posts
8,690 battles
4 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

That was always the hardest thing to find good rigging pictures for me when I would build my ship models Thank goodness for the Internet that helped a lot with my later projects And this game definitely helps being able to do a 360 on a picture  

I couldn't agree more. My back-up would have been the original blueprints of the ship but those are only 2D.

1,542 posts
26 battles

Wow, she's gorgeous. That is a lot of work! Did you use paintbrushes or sprays for her? Looks meticulous! 

[PVE]
Members
384 posts
8,690 battles
3 hours ago, WolfofWarship said:

Wow, she's gorgeous. That is a lot of work! Did you use paintbrushes or sprays for her? Looks meticulous! 

thank you. I used an airbrush for the hull. The rest was painted by brush. I used water based paint except for the white, red, and blue. Those colors were acrylic. 

Edited by Rabbitt81
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this