You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

Should I Free-Xp To Baltimore? And Its Modules?

11 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
2,086 posts
5,879 battles

With the upcoming USN cruiser split, it would cost me slightly more than 200.6k free xp and about 20.5 million to research and buy Baltimore and all her modules.

At this moment, I have:

• an elite Cleveland with an 11 pt captain and perma-camo (the 1k doubloons version)
  • an elite Pensacola with a 4 pt captain
  • a New Orleans with all modules installed, the congratulatory perma-camo, 34k ship xp, and an 13-pt captain (who I transferred all the way from Erie during the grind)
  • about 575k free xp (which I'm saving for Musashi)
  • 500 doubloons that I got from containers and ranked (saving those for free xp conversion)
  • 2.4 million silver (recently bought Taiho's tier 9 planes and 2-3-3 loadout, and currently working on grinding silver to get Iowa)
  • various ships that I'm not currently playing, either due to having already elited them and moved up to the next ship in the line or them being too far ahead in the tech tree for me to comfortably play (for instance, an elite Shokaku without a captain, perma-camo or several upgrade modules or a stock Fushan with a 3 pt captain, all upgrades, and a perma-camo from the New Years Raid campaign when I'm still grinding Shenyang)

Is it worth it to research and buy Baltimore and all her modules (and thus get Buffalo and some other stuff), or should I just save my stuff? Should I sell any of my currently inactive ships?

[HYDRO]
Members
1,583 posts
3,751 battles

Save the free xp for the  Kronshtadt imo.  As it has been shown time and time again, the earnings of the Musashi are nowhere close to the Missouri ones. I'm at about the same situation as you when it comes to the NO, was considering going for T9, but the first info on the tier 8 Baltimore got me thinking. It will most likely get a 10 sec reload and armor good enough to bounce 380mm AP. I believe you wouldn't have that tough a time in it when it comes out. And I don't think Buffalo is a case like the Alsace.

• Cool 1

[-BSS-]
Members
395 posts
6,294 battles

I am in a similar situation, I have a nest egg of free xp and I currently have the New Orleans with about 80k on it so far.

it will cost me about 200k free xp to get the Baltimore and all upgrades.

I think it is absolutely worth it to at least have the Baltimore in port, the rest is more about your interest in playing stock ships.

Im with another poster re: Musashi, perhaps see what upcoming free xp ships look like before buying musashi ? Musashi is not getting glowing praise ? Free xp is so hard earned or expensive !

Edited by Visidious
  • Cool 2

[CAPT]
[CAPT]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members
853 posts
7,640 battles

I skipped to Baltimore, and to be honest, I didn't love it. Stock, it's not fun to play. Des Moines is worth it, but I'd hang on to any Free XP you have and just try to grind to the Baltimore the good ol' fashioned way.

• Cool 1

[HELLS]
Members
1,703 posts
15,579 battles
44 minutes ago, Sharkbait_416 said:

I skipped to Baltimore, and to be honest, I didn't love it. Stock, it's not fun to play. Des Moines is worth it, but I'd hang on to any Free XP you have and just try to grind to the Baltimore the good ol' fashioned way.

Agreed. The New Orleans is not an easy ship to grind with, but even if you get only half way there and have to use some free XP to get Baltimore before the split, it will be worth the effort. I already have Des Moines with a 19-point captain in her but I am going to be short a pile of 10-pointers so that is my first priority pre-split! See you at sea!

• Cool 1

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,011 posts
9,077 battles
40 minutes ago, Visidious said:

Im with another poster re: Musashi, perhaps see what upcoming free xp ships look like before buying musashi ? Musashi is not getting glowing praise ? Free xp is so hard earned or expensive !

Musashi is good, I personally find her more fun to play than Missouri. That’s pretty hard to say for a red blooded American. It’s hard to beat being able to penetrate every ship in the game. 

People often compare her too Yamato’s accuracy and Missouri’s credit making ability. Truth is she still is very accurate (her accuracy is on par with the next most accurate Japanese BB) and she still makes excellent credits (even though those 18” shells are expensive!). Her spotter plane recharges in half the time of other ships, which I find really useful.

Kronstadt - assuming she is the next FXP ship - in my opinion won’t be as fun as the Musashi. I think she will be a great cruiser killer, but her armor and sluggishness will leave her vulnerable to BBs. I face one the other day in my Alsace, and there was very little he could do to against my 15” shells. In any case, I’d wait until the day before the US cruisers are realeased before you commit.

[5IN]
Members
1,792 posts
8,140 battles

I FXPd the Baltimore (full upgrades) yesterday and played a few games in it today.  Its not a bad ship, just soft.  All 3 matches so far were top tier (amazingly), and I didnt do terribly, just not as good as I had hoped.  Admittedly, I don't play Cruisers much, or if I do it would be Zao or Hindenburg.  There is definitely a learning curve to the Baltimore..  and I'm sure DM as well.

B

[O_O]
Members
4,425 posts
9,588 battles

I wasn't expecting much from Musashi.  I have Missouri, do fair with it.  I have Yamato, and I am probably a bit below average with it.  I haven't played enough with her to figure out how to play her best.  So, I was a bit reserved when I bought Musashi.  But...I don't know why, but I have fun with her!  I can't figure out why it would be much different than Yamato (same captain for both), but I feel a difference between the two.  I mean, I know they are DIFFERENT, but I just wouldn't think the feel would be noticeable.  For me, it is.

But, back to the question.  I would not burn the Free XP for Baltimore.  The real payday is having Cleveland in port with the premium camo.  The rest is nice and will also pay off a bit, but not worth burning the Free XP, IMO.

Since I already have all of the cruisers from Omaha to Des Moines in port, it probably doesn't mean much, but I am saving my Free XP for Kronstadt.

Edited by desmo_2

Members
1,459 posts
12,348 battles

For free exp, you may want to save. Not only for free exp ships, but once the “light” side of the US cruisers come out may want to free exp the mods on your new tier 8 Cleveland (my understanding is that you get a base hull, but I could be wrong), or to free exp up after that.

On Musashi, it is a good ship.  If you don’t have a Yami, it is a must have.  If you already have a Yami, then not alll that different, and I tend to spend a lot of games in tier 10 anyway. So for me Musashi is a nice to have , but not a must have

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,813 posts
9,887 battles

Musashi going to stay for a while.

What you get if your account have t6 to t9 to earn the max when the split come

What you don't is that you will only get certain ships up to, equivalent to the current ships you had in port.

Then are you the person who would appreciate the free ships, if yes, then freeXP it so you can get the maximum.

If you ok with the ships you had so far, and just whatever comes, comes, then don't use the freeXP.

[SIDE]
Members
1,436 posts

Absolutely.  Get her and upgrade everything ASAP. Yes, it will help with the split. HOWEVER , the real reason to do so is because time is limited and the tier 9 Baltimore is a beautiful beast of a cruiser when played properly to her strengths. Enjoy her while you can. It won’t last much longer. 

Edited by thebigblue