Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MattttChris

WG dev blog response to Midway nerfs

10 comments in this topic

[PNG]
Members
103 posts
6,621 battles

Hello all hope you're having a good day, 

I do not mean for this to cause drama, but rather discussion and informing people. Please keep all comments civil and on topic so they don't close this down. 

WG just threw this out on the Dev blog. 

When the post says: "This was prefaced by statistical dip displayed by Hakuryu on 3 out of 4 regional servers." It is only partly true. Every server except RU had fine winrates for the Midway and Hak. RU was the only one that was out of wack, but drastically out of wack. This is also a slap in the face becasue the Midway was slightly statistically better on 3 out of the 4 servers for a few months, while the Hak has been better for a year or more now. 

Secondly, the Midway had many many more games played than the Hak in this period. This doesn't necessarily mean that the Midway needed nerfs it just means that it was more played. This is probably because people were actually excited to play a tech tree USN CV because it wasn't crap compared to the IJN counter part. Remember causation doesn't equal correlation. 

Now comes the statistical evidence to refute WGs claim. 

The current Midway fighters and TB do not balance against the Hak's. 

Using no commander skills or modules. Only the most upgraded planes. 

In air

Fighters: In air the 2 squadrons of 6 Midway T9 fighters have 840 DPS and 22,920 HP. 

In air the 3 squadrons of 4 Hak T10 fighters have 1044 DPS and 24,360 HP.

TB: In air the 2 squadrons of 6 Midway T8 TB have 118,404 total torpedo damage and 20,520 HP

In air the 3 squadrons of 4 Hak T10 TB have 102,804 total torpedo damage and 25,320 HP

Total planes in hangar 

Fighters: 35 Midway T9 fighters have 2450 DPS and 66,850 HP. 

30 Hak T10 fighters have 3045 DPS and 60,900 HP.

TB: 40 Midway T8 TB have 394,680 total torpedo damage and 68,400 HP

40 Hak T10 TB have 342,680 total torpedo damage and 84,400 HP

What all  these numbers mean is that in the air the Hak will always have far better DPS and HP on their fighters. Couple that with having another squadron and better air speed than the Midway, and the Midway gets crushed. Can confirm from experience. 

Yes in the long run the Hak loses out on total HP of fighters, but it rarely matters because a Hak will normally win more fights because of its additional squadron and superior DPS and HP in air. 

The T8 TB are inferior in every way to the IJN except in damage. This is because USN torps do more damage, however with T10 AA you usually lose half a squadron going in. Since the Hak's TB have so much more speed and HP they rarely lose as many planes. Usually the Hak will do more damage with torpedoes than the Midway despite the Midways on paper advantages. 

If the Midway received Its T10 fighters and T9 TB the numbers would be extremely close. If requested I can give the numbers for that. 

The dev blog post says "The Japanese carrier was losing to her counterpart both in the air and by surface ship damage averages." Well now the Midway doesn't have a air or surface ship damage advantage over its Japanese counterpart, the Hak is clearly better.

Tl;dr There is no way the current T10 CVs are balance. 2 weeks of stats cannot affirm that. Numerically there is no way the ships are balanced. To balance them T10 fighters and T9 TB on the Midway would get the job done. 

Edited by MattttChris
  • Boring 1

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,041 posts
11,246 battles

INJ need be better then usn like always... well nothing new here. Then people going stop play with midway, then they going need buff midway again, then people go stop playing with hak, and repeat.

[PNG]
Members
103 posts
6,621 battles
11 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

INJ need be better then usn like always... well nothing new here. Then people going stop play with midway, then they going need buff midway again, then people go stop playing with hak, and repeat.

Midway has received about 4 nerfs to its 1 buff

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,031 posts

How dare the USN carriers that actually existed and were superior to IJN carriers in real life be that way in a video game! Can't have the Americans be good at anything now, can we?

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

When it comes to CV balance, I oddly enough believe WG to be a more reliable source than most of the player base. After all, everyone swore up and down that the USN loadout change was going to make Midway even more unplayable, when it actually made it one of the strongest tech tree CVs in the game.

To me, Ranger, Lexington, and Essex are in far more desperate need of love than Midway.

• Cool 2

[PNG]
Members
103 posts
6,621 battles
5 minutes ago, cometguy said:

When it comes to CV balance, I oddly enough believe WG to be a more reliable source than most of the player base. After all, everyone swore up and down that the USN loadout change was going to make Midway even more unplayable, when it actually made it one of the strongest tech tree CVs in the game.

To me, Ranger, Lexington, and Essex are in far more desperate need of love than Midway.

I completely agree with you. However WG seems to be only interested in making sure that the IJN CVs are balanced and good. It is also to have the goal of grinding (The Midway) to be good and not crap. If the T10 isn't god, why would people even grind it?

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
2 minutes ago, MattttChris said:

I completely agree with you. However WG seems to be only interested in making sure that the IJN CVs are balanced and good. It is also to have the goal of grinding (The Midway) to be good and not crap. If the T10 isn't god, why would people even grind it?

If t7, t8, and t9 were good, it wouldn't be a grind. I didn't grind to Hakuryu, I just played ijn CVs. Not to say that Midway shouldn't be good, it should. There are too few CVs in game to have room for bad CVs.

• Cool 1

[DAY]
Members
1,186 posts
11,774 battles

nothing new here

just look at ranger/lex/essex

in WG universe USN CV need to be forever inferior to IJN ones

[-TAB-]
Members
1,330 posts
6,990 battles

That's just dev favoritism for you.

I find it funny that they tried to claim "but muh statistics" to justify the nerf and yet they only manage to prove they don't know anything about statistics... you know things like skew....outliers....bias....

Win rate is the most easy to skew metric, along with play rate.

Performance based metrics are always king.

Edited by zarth12

Sign in to follow this