Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
__crazy8s_

IJN Destroyers

19 comments in this topic

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

I am a BB and DD main player.  Cruisers I tried to go back to and I said yep NO WAY IN * * * *.  How ever this brings the question up to my mind.  I do enjoy playing destroyers how ever.  They are fun and challenging.  I've traveled as far up as the Yugumo on the dd's.  Would it be worth my time and effort to grind some credits back and buy my Yugomo back and fully upgrade it and keep trying to finish it off and finally get my Shimakaze?  Or since I already have the Gearing which is an extremely fun ship to play say screw it and not even bother going for the Shimakaze and the wall of skill.  I've been going back and forth on this for quite some time.  If I should even finish it off or not.  Here in the not too distant future I wont have as much time to play I'll be starting up a new knife project so I need to use my WoW's time wisely.  What are your thoughts on this and what should I do?  Thanks ahead of time.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,399 posts
3,875 battles

Shimakaze is getting a concealment buff soon.

They haven't yet said what disproportionate nerf she'll get for it, since Shima never gets a buff without a larger nerf to take the hype out of it.

If there isn't going to be one, it might be a good idea to finish that grind.

• Cool 1

[-GPS-]
Members
2,536 posts
25,006 battles

Shima already had its Concealment buffed. 5.6 km now IIRC. 

My advice would be buy back the Yugumo, mount torp reload instead of smoke, and get even better at ninja DD. If you enjoy it, sooner or later the XP will show up to get Shimakaze. Yugumo’s torp reload is much faster.  Her Concealment is still 200 meters better, sometimes you see Tier 7 ships, and the guns are better than Shima’s. However, other players may like Shima better. 

• Cool 2

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

Ai would not know, only Yuu would know.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,399 posts
3,875 battles
7 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Shima already had its Concealment buffed. 5.6 km now IIRC. 

Oh. Hadn't realized it was already live. I've been staying out of tier 10 lately and hadn't looked at it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

If you won't have much time for WOWS in the future...

My advise is to just have fun and not make any long-term investments.

It'll be here when you get back.

This should be a joy in playing, and not some task like cleaning the garage.

Members
4,821 posts
5,596 battles
9 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Shimakaze is getting a concealment buff soon.

They haven't yet said what disproportionate nerf she'll get for it, since Shima never gets a buff without a larger nerf to take the hype out of it.

If there isn't going to be one, it might be a good idea to finish that grind.

Shima already got the concealment buff. Her concealment is now 5.6km with all skills, modules and camo. Unless she's getting another buff I haven't heard about.

OP,  I say get Yuugumo back, if not for grinding out the Shima, then just because Yuugumo is one of the gems of the IJN DD line.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
1 minute ago, AVR_Project said:

If you won't have much time for WOWS in the future...

My advise is to just have fun and not make any long-term investments.

It'll be here when you get back.

This should be a joy in playing, and not some task like cleaning the garage.

That's kind of what I've been doing in the down time of waiting for my steel to get here and other equipment to arrive I've been playing ships.  Cant make my knives with out steel lol.  So ships is the next best thing.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,399 posts
3,875 battles
1 minute ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Shima already got the concealment buff. Her concealment is now 5.6km with all skills, modules and camo. Unless she's getting another buff I haven't heard about.

OP,  I say get Yuugumo back, if not for grinding out the Shima, then just because Yuugumo is one of the gems of the IJN DD line.

I was already corrected on this.

2 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Oh. Hadn't realized it was already live. I've been staying out of tier 10 lately and hadn't looked at it.

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

For me - the biggest difference between Yug and Shima is top speed.

Shima is very fast, especially when using the flag - and I find her far more effective than Yug due to this fact alone.

Absolutely - grind for the Shima, the detection buff she received made her an excellent boat, imho.

• Cool 1

Members
4,821 posts
5,596 battles
6 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

I was already corrected on this.

Yeah, It didn't show until I posted. Sorry.

[HEROS]
Members
1,426 posts
11,995 battles

Yugumo is worth having just for it's self.  Get it back in your port!

Fast, stealthy, option to run Torpedo reload or smoke, excellent guns, and you can run the 12k torps on it.  All around fantastic DD and over much more over all capable then the Shimmy that surrenders a lot of gun performance for that extra rack of torpedo's, and additional top speed.

The outstanding feature of the shimmy is the ability to run those 20k torps but the down side is those torps are spotted at two a half klik's or more depending  modules and commander skills.  And the typical wider than everyone else's torpedo spread.   They may be hard hitting torps but if you can NOT land a hit with them then their utility is seriously sub nominal.  Still, worth getting in the long run.   BUt shimmy's main issue is still dealing with the after effects of the torpedo nurf over a year and a half ago at this point.  Ships have gotten better, new lines have appeared and there is radar at high tiers all over the place.  Shimmy drivers even with the stealth buff they just got are still dealing with the exact same issues they did before.  To be a good shimmy driver you have to be better than everyone else!   I got a  Gearing finally to take out with it's 16 k torps and easily blew my best performance in the shimmy right out of the water.  All around better ship.  Get good in a Shimmy and a Gearing will seem ludicrously easy to drive and operate!

Once yer at tier 8 and above you must LEARN as a IJN driver all about radar, who has it, who doesn't what the ranges are how long it lasts and how much duration buff it gets from special modules.. and always assume the radar ship has those special modules..  Better alive then sunk, safe than sorry!  Same same vis a vis Hydroacoustic search.   Concealment values don't mean jack once your lit up by RADAR... all you can do it run and hope for the best.  

Do it, don't think about it, just do it!

Warlord sends

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

I just bought my Ugh Uh Mo back lol now I just gotta grind the credits to upgrade it 

[-THOR]
Members
167 posts
2,206 battles

I struggled finding the right mix with the Yugumo but 12km torps with the torpedo reload was the way to go.  I haven't played the USN DD line beyond tier 5 so I can't compare, but the IJN DDs are fun to play and reward skill.  People say that the USN is better in a DD on DD fight but it isn't that one-sided in my experience.  The alpha strike potential is great in knife fights (i.e. you get the first salvo, sometimes second one as well, before the other guy can respond and have usually caused a lot of damage to modules etc.).  In short, yes, get the Yugumo and as others have said, don't feel you have to rush to the Shima. 

p.s. I just recently got the Shima and am similarly struggling to find the right way to play it - I think I'm going to go with the 12km torps on the Shima as well.  I really miss the torp reload consumable although you get a lot more torpedoes on the Shima.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,345 posts
9,536 battles
54 minutes ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

For me - the biggest difference between Yug and Shima is top speed.

Shima is very fast, especially when using the flag - and I find her far more effective than Yug due to this fact alone.

Absolutely - grind for the Shima, the detection buff she received made her an excellent boat, imho.

The Shimakaze is faster (she was the fastest ship in the game at one point.), has a slow reload, throws out the great wall of torps, and is a bit long and clumsy to be messing around in caps. She's better at flanking/spotting than capping.

The Yugumo is a hair slower, has a quicker reload on torps, but is better for messing around in caps.

12 minutes ago, prevans said:

I struggled finding the right mix with the Yugumo but 12km torps with the torpedo reload was the way to go.  I haven't played the USN DD line beyond tier 5 so I can't compare, but the IJN DDs are fun to play and reward skill.  People say that the USN is better in a DD on DD fight but it isn't that one-sided in my experience.  The alpha strike potential is great in knife fights (i.e. you get the first salvo, sometimes second one as well, before the other guy can respond and have usually caused a lot of damage to modules etc.).  In short, yes, get the Yugumo and as others have said, don't feel you have to rush to the Shima. 

p.s. I just recently got the Shima and am similarly struggling to find the right way to play it - I think I'm going to go with the 12km torps on the Shima as well.  I really miss the torp reload consumable although you get a lot more torpedoes on the Shima.

Barring you doing anything crazy, the 12km torpedoes are your go to weapon for both of these DD's. There might be some that like the 20 km torps on the Shima with torpedo acceleration, cutting them down to a nicer 16 km, but I haven't found the 16 km option to be worth the skill points.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,805 posts
10,309 battles

I need to get into business nailing pairs of Type 93 torpedoes together in a cross so the extreme IJN Destroyer fans can martyr themselves on them....

Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles
1 hour ago, SuperSpud1 said:

Would it be worth my time and effort to grind some credits back and buy my Yugomo back and fully upgrade it and keep trying to finish it off and finally get my Shimakaze? 

No, not unless you want to do it for the challenge of it.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,725 posts
4,737 battles

Take it with a grain of salt, I'm a cruiser main afterall.  but Yugumo, bbuilt for Torpedo reload and with the torp reload boost?  It's some of the most fun I think I've had in this game in a long, long time. 

Edited by vonKaiser
  • Cool 1

Members
1,154 posts
6,917 battles

The Yug is a really nice DD.  The shima isn't too bad either after you get past the horrific 20km torps.  sadly, i will say the shima is just meh in terms of fun.  The torp reload is very long.  While the guns are decent, you aren't really a DD hunter.  Ships like the khaba where you are in constant action, or even ships like the Yug and fletch that have a better torp reload are more fun. (not to mention the better stealth on the Yug).

im looking forward to the Z52 with its 1 min torp reload plus its good guns. 

Sign in to follow this