You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IronMike11B4O

Hindenburg build with the new CMDR

18 comments in this topic

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,788 battles

With the new German brother captains coming out I have a question for current Hindenburg Drivers. 

1. Do you slot vigilance? If so do you give up Hydro and slot Def AA?

2. If you are slotting Vig and gave up hydro how is that build working out?

Right now I have a 19Pt in my Hindenburg with a pretty standard heavy cruiser build. I have enough elite XP to jump the new German Captain to 19 as soon as I get him and am pondering some different builds and what trade-offs will be to maximize the new perks.

Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
26 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

With the new German brother captains coming out I have a question for current Hindenburg Drivers. 

Right now I have a 19Pt in my Hindenburg with a pretty standard heavy cruiser build. I have enough elite XP to jump the new German Captain to 19 as soon as I get him and am pondering some different builds and what trade-offs will be to maximize the new perks.

I don't have a ton of games, nor am I a great player, but I use Vigilance. I do indeed run DFAA instead of hydro.

I don't miss the hydro, the Vigilance and twin fighters do a decent job of spotting torps. (plus the planes have longer duration and multiple functions) 

I'm not often charging into a smoked up cap to go after a DD anyway, so hydro is really only good to me for torps.

And when you DO have CVs present, DFAA works insanely well. (I'm guessing that a lot of CV players expect a German cruiser to mount their superior hydro, so don't avoid Hindy like they should)

My build: PT, EL, DCCA, LS, VL, DE, CE, AFT.

[JUICE]
Members
819 posts
6,369 battles

I like to push with my Hindy so no I do not use vigilance and I do run hydro. Long range AP from BBs seems to be that ships only weak point. Inside of 12km or so the armor is trollish.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
2 hours ago, IronMike11B4O said:

Hindy has solid AA even without defensive fire, you can dodge torps efficiently w/o using defensive fire if a CV tries to drop on you. However there are very few CVs in the cue, and mosy are tier 8, so in my opinion there is no need to slot defensive fire on Hindies.

Enemy DDs are a much more common threat, which is why I personally like to spec either Demo/Superintendent or Demo/Vigilance (w/ AFT/Concealment for the 4 pt skills). I personally don't have any problems dodging torps, so right now I am using Demo/Superintendent ... but if you are a new player you could consider using Vigilance instead of Superintendent kn order to spot them from further away.

Edited by Ulthwey

Members
56 posts
7,005 battles
2 hours ago, Skpstr said:

I don't have a ton of games, nor am I a great player, but I use Vigilance. I do indeed run DFAA instead of hydro.

I don't miss the hydro, the Vigilance and twin fighters do a decent job of spotting torps. (plus the planes have longer duration and multiple functions) 

I'm not often charging into a smoked up cap to go after a DD anyway, so hydro is really only good to me for torps.

And when you DO have CVs present, DFAA works insanely well. (I'm guessing that a lot of CV players expect a German cruiser to mount their superior hydro, so don't avoid Hindy like they should)

My build: PT, EL, DCCA, LS, VL, DE, CE, AFT.

Why do you use LS? Does your engine get knocked out that often?

Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
1 minute ago, ImpalaCustom said:

Why do you use LS? Does your engine get knocked out that often?

TBH, It's my original KM CA captain. Everything up to Yorck practically demanded it. Just never bothered to respec lol.

Although, I do like that I'll never get stopped or stuck in a circle if my DC is on cooldown from putting out fires.

If I bother to respec one of these days, I'll probably pick up AR instead.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,017 posts
8,249 battles

Hindenburg only needs MAA and AA range module in slot 2 to pose a credible threat to CVs.

LS is not as useful on Hindy unless you can stay alive, good BBs will focus her down because they know she's dangerous.  Play mine as a support cruiser, it's hard to get within brawling ranges when only 31 knots top speed.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles

I use dam con/defaa/fighter/repair party.

my upgrades are

- Main Arnaments 1.

- Dam Con Mod 1

- The dispersion mod

- Rudder Shift Mod 2

- Rudder Shift Mod 3

- Range Mod.

for skills i have:

- PM, PT

- JOAT, and the dam con one forget the name

- Vig, SI, the -15% fire one.

- Fire prevention, 

plays great at medium/long range like a zao (12-20km)

Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
3 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Hindenburg only needs MAA and AA range module in slot 2 to pose a credible threat to CVs.

I dunno, is MFAA a great idea? Over 60% of your long-range AA is only 55mm guns. I would think AFT a better choice. (I use range upgrade instead of ROF, and the main gun dispersion upgrade in slot 2)

Members
56 posts
7,005 battles
7 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

TBH, It's my original KM CA captain. Everything up to Yorck practically demanded it. Just never bothered to respec lol.

Although, I do like that I'll never get stopped or stuck in a circle if my DC is on cooldown from putting out fires.

If I bother to respec one of these days, I'll probably pick up AR instead.

Good to hear. I just got the Hindy (only 6 games in) and would hate to have to respec the captain so soon after retraining him.

Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
39 minutes ago, ImpalaCustom said:

Good to hear. I just got the Hindy (only 6 games in) and would hate to have to respec the captain so soon after retraining him.

LS will certainly come in handy at times, it's just not required like with the CLs.

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,658 battles

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000100010100001000100000119

Standard BB/CA build. If you're really worried about CVs and see them in queue, switch out hydro for DF. AA specs aren't necessary.

Always spec for the most common threat: fire.

Edited by awildseaking

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,870 posts
5,255 battles
5 hours ago, IronMike11B4O said:

Depends what you do with your Hindenburg.  If you stay in the back the whole time, Vigilance won't help you much.  If you like to push in an bully other cruisers, it will help a lot.

If you take Vigilance, you should definitely keep the Hydro as they stack.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,788 battles
1 minute ago, TheDreadnought said:

Depends what you do with your Hindenburg.  If you stay in the back the whole time, Vigilance won't help you much.  If you like to push in an bully other cruisers, it will help a lot.

If you take Vigilance, you should definitely keep the Hydro as they stack.

Im leaning towards this was also leaning towards the other I spoke of. I might just keep both as Hindenburg captains and plop them in as needed. With almost 600 battles just in the Hindenburg it might be a nice luxury to have 2 different 19 pt spec'd Captains

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,870 posts
5,255 battles
8 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

Im leaning towards this was also leaning towards the other I spoke of. I might just keep both as Hindenburg captains and plop them in as needed. With almost 600 battles just in the Hindenburg it might be a nice luxury to have 2 different 19 pt spec'd Captains

Wow. . . you really like Hindenburg!  LOL

I might have to start playing mine more.

Members
1,936 posts
41 minutes ago, awildseaking said:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000100010100001000100000119

Standard BB/CA build. If you're really worried about CVs and see them in queue, switch out hydro for DF. AA specs aren't necessary.

Always spec for the most common threat: fire.

This lad gets its

Speccing to defend a CV that you may  see in 33% of battles, and who likely won't target you anyway if there are BBs available, isn't optimal.

Even if you do get targeted by a CV, Def AA and dodging torps is the best defense and require no skill investment.

[SYN]
Members
14,455 posts
10,459 battles
3 hours ago, Ulthwey said:

Hindy has solid AA even without defensive fire, you can dodge torps efficiently w/o using defensive fire if a CV tries to drop on you. However there are very few CVs in the cue, and mosy are tier 8, so in my opinion there is no need to slot defensive fire on Hindies.

Enemy DDs are a much more common threat, which is why I personally like to spec either Demo/Superintendent or Demo/Vigilance (w/ AFT/Concealment for the 4 pt skills). I personally don't have any problems dodging torps, so right now I am using Demo/Superintendent ... but if you are a new player you could consider using Vigilance instead of Superintendent kn order to spot them from further away.

until you get shot at and all your 55mm Geratts are broken, at which point the AA becomes quite crap.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,017 posts
8,249 battles
2 hours ago, Skpstr said:

I dunno, is MFAA a great idea? Over 60% of your long-range AA is only 55mm guns. I would think AFT a better choice. (I use range upgrade instead of ROF, and the main gun dispersion upgrade in slot 2)

Ran MFAA vs. AFT against all T8-10 CVs in training room.

The main threat from those planes isn't their HP--it's the plane speed limiting your AA's chance of dropping anything. Base German AA range is 500 meters less than other cruiser lines, so they benefit less from AFT there. Without DF's buff, AFT isn't much good.

I found the best odds (without DF) of dropping the planes came with MFAA. It ups the 105mm guns almost to the 55mm's nasty level, and between both sets, they can reliably drive off T8, dent T9, and give T10 some pause; problem is once planes are T10 and fully upgraded, DF is almost required to fight off those sorties.

Didn't try full-AA build (too few CVs atm to justify it), but unless DF's active, Hindenburg's not going to kill off the entire sortie.