Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

What shall we do with the 10 point captain, part 3.

12 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles

So I finally starred high enough in Newport to pick up the Japanese 10 pointer. 

I am currently in the Furutaka and the Wakatake, with the intention of moving up to the Isokaze and staying there. (I will eventually get the Shinonome and the captain that comes with her, and see no need to go higher.)

If I put him in cruisers: PT, EM or AR (coming back for the other at 12 points), DE, CE. I would probably take EM first, and then he could also be used effectively in the Ishizuchi (unless I wanted to live with slow turret rotation).

If he goes into destroyers: PT, LS, Torp armament expertise, CE. This should suit both Wakatake and Isokaze (and Tachibana, for what it's worth).

Do these sound reasonable? Final decision as to which line I put him in is mine, but suggestions would be welcome.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,364 battles

Yes, they sound good.  If you pick cruisers, and intend to move him up the line to tiers 9-10, you may eventually want superintendent for the extra heal, but DE is great for the first pass at level three.

Personally, I take PM over PT on IJN DDs (except Akizuki and its future ilk) on the grounds that being spotted is pretty much a binary state - i.e. if you are, you mostly don't want to be, regardless of how many people are actively shooting at you.  As opposed to DDs (prototypically RU DDs, Aigle, Blys, etc., but maybe even ships like Vampire and Clemson at lower tiers) that do a certain amount of firing in the open, for which a high PT number is a good hint that it is time to go dark.  But reasonable people disagree on this point.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

If I have a 10 point captain in the lower tiers -- I find I'm going through ships faster than they are trained.

So I leave them in training mode - and only pick those skills that give me 50% during training.

Say you start out a new line with the Kawachi..  Put the new captain there, and go for zero credits/ zero doubloon training with CE,  early Torp Detect, Expert Marksman, and PM..   These give you 50% of those features.  The grind through T3 is rather brief soooo...

Sell the Kawachi, buy the Myogi, move the captain, but go for the 200K credit 50% training.

Somewhere towards the middle of the grind, you get 100% function of your captain skills.  Exercise this cap on your premiums as well, but doing so doesn't advance your ship.

I often do this when a new line comes out, like French Cruisers or German Destroyers.

Good Luck.

Edited by AVR_Project

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles
20 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

CE, High, early Torp Detect, Expert Marksman, and PM.

CE, Vigilance, EM and PM = 10 points.

"High" - I assume you mean High Alert here? - adds an extra two. Not feasible with a 10 pointer. Could you clarify, please?

21 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Exercise this cap on your premiums as well, but doing so doesn't advance your ship.

Naturally, but the captain advance and the full functionality on the premium ship would be worth it. I can't see the Furutaka being that different in essential skills from a battleship anyway; her stock reload and turret rotation are very similar to those of an Ishizuchi anyway!! (Yes, I did upgrade to the 203mm guns as fast as possible.)

23 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

So I leave them in training mode - and only pick those skills that give me 50% during training.

A worthy consideration and it has its merits, but I have found Priority Target far too useful to want to give up. I blame Zath for that one. :Smile_teethhappy:

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,034 posts
3,537 battles

Once a Destroyer is detected, you can pretty much go "every ship that sees me is targeting me." So PT is rather useless on destroyers as a result. So PM is the better option.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles
Just now, SavageTactical said:

You’re a co-op player right?

Co-op for new ship/build familiarisation, derps and chilling; randoms and ops at all other times.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles
41 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

CE, Vigilance, EM and PM = 10 points.

"High" - I assume you mean High Alert here? - adds an extra two. Not feasible with a 10 pointer. Could you clarify, please?

Naturally, but the captain advance and the full functionality on the premium ship would be worth it. I can't see the Furutaka being that different in essential skills from a battleship anyway; her stock reload and turret rotation are very similar to those of an Ishizuchi anyway!! (Yes, I did upgrade to the 203mm guns as fast as possible.)

A worthy consideration and it has its merits, but I have found Priority Target far too useful to want to give up. I blame Zath for that one. :Smile_teethhappy:

I only recommend this for low tier (i.e. New line) grinds.  It makes much more sense when the line starts at T2, and you are off the boat in 2-8 good missions.  Usually, at T4, I start to see 10-25 missions..  I go for more accelerated 200K training.

Yeah..  Sorry about the 'HIGH' typo..   Got other things going on and the keyboard went into the wrong window.  Please disregard 'High'..

Priority Target is disabled during retraining.  At least with Preventative Maint, you get 50% off those damage chances.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles
29 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Priority Target is disabled during retraining.  At least with Preventative Maint, you get 50% off those damage chances.

I will probably battle through the rest of the Wakatake grind with the captain who's in her now, then put the 10-pointer in the Isokaze and leave him there. He can train in the Tachibana for what that's worth once he's paid the 200K silver price, and PT, LS, CE will even benefit the Yubari if I want to rotate him through that (though she's not exactly the greatest torpedo cruiser on earth, I realise).

Next stop is the Shinonome, and I can use the captain that comes with it to play around with alternative destroyer builds. By that time my 10 pointer might even be an 11 or 12 pointer anyway, and I can go back for whichever of PT or PM I did not get the first time. (I think the Shino captain is 11 points so you can grab PT, PM, LS, TAE and CE all at once & not have to choose between the 1-point skills.)

I'm not going any further up the IJN cruiser line, possibly not even to the Furutaka C hull (no technical interest in more modern designs, you see), so I'm quite content to leave kitty in there forever and let him gradually get stronger. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

Sounds like you have a handle on the 10 point skills - PT, LS, TAE, CE would be my choice for a 10 point IJN DD commander - and PT, EM, DE, CE for a 10 point IJN cruiser commander.

I enjoyed grinding both lines - there are some gems in both - well, all three technically.

I'm approaching the XP required for Zao - but have Shima and Akizuki in the other lines, with 19 pt commanders in each, and these were the skills I chose for each:

Shima -   PT, PM, EM, LS, SE, BFT, DE, CE - I like to use the guns on Shima - they are very good - both for defense in the cap, as well as setting fires on ships I've managed flooding on.  This commander also works very well in my Fujin, Tach and Shino.

Akizuki - PT, AR, LS, BFT, DE (though SE is also viable, instead), CE, IFHE - this commander also sails in Harekaze, using the 100mm guns.

Currently Ubuki - soon Zao - PT, EM, AR, BFT, DE, AFT, CE - I went with this build with an eye to AA protection as I find myself alone on a flank quite often.  This commander also sails Katori and Atago.

Sign in to follow this