You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ju87s

Cap contesting/point denial ribbons/XP

18 comments in this topic

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,309 battles

Hey guys, I watched that recent Notser vid about how XP needs to be reworked in this game and I wanted to add an idea I've always thought would be good and makes sense. Ships (mainly destroyers) can play a huge role in the turnout of a match by merely sitting in a cap and denying the enemy team points, or denying the team the capture of a cap. Usually, these DDs have to stay quiet and dark while doing so, and can be left in those positions for quite a long time while they gain little to nothing for XP and the rest of the team goes on doing damage. I think ships that are denying the enemy team points by sitting in one of their caps, or denying the enemy taking a cap should be compensated with ribbons. I think one for every 15 seconds in the cap sounds fair. I've gotten to the point (especially in epicenter) where I don't even bother contesting caps as a DD because A) it's really boring and a lot more fun to sail around and actually fight B) it puts my ship a huge risk and C) as an individual player I get nothing for it.

Edited by Ju87s
  • Cool 5
  • Bad 2

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

Perhaps get rewarded with the usual capture points? I don’t think we need another ribbon. Otherwise I better start saving for a second screen to display all those ribbon ideas.

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,309 battles
26 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Perhaps get rewarded with the usual capture points? I don’t think we need another ribbon. Otherwise I better start saving for a second screen to display all those ribbon ideas.

But you're not capturing- you're preventing a cap or stalling points.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
549 posts
3,605 battles

It's team play.  It needs to be rewarded, I think.  The more that team play is rewarded, the better that behavior gets reinforced.  Immediate reinforcement of a particular behavior is always best.

Just my two cents,

CS

• Cool 1

Members
1,786 posts
5,663 battles

I still think we should get ribbons for Logging in. Ribbons for firing guns. I know, ribbons for moving the ship. And I have said from the beginning RIBBONS for WASD.   "Just saying"

• Bad 2

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,771 battles
40 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

I still think we should get ribbons for Logging in. Ribbons for firing guns. I know, ribbons for moving the ship. And I have said from the beginning RIBBONS for WASD.   "Just saying"

41 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

How about ribbons for blowing our noses and wiping away those salty tears ?

[ODIN]
[ODIN]
Members
456 posts
13,320 battles

I would think that this could work using the current ribbons for defending a capture point. Perhaps if both your ship and an enemy ship are in the point you get a ribbon added every so often, let's say 30 seconds. It would help to encourage destroyers to contest points, I believe.

[OPG]
Supertester
1,897 posts
10,218 battles
7 hours ago, Ju87s said:

Hey guys, I watched that recent Notser vid about how XP needs to be reworked in this game and I wanted to add an idea I've always thought would be good and makes sense. Ships (mainly destroyers) can play a huge role in the turnout of a match by merely sitting in a cap and denying the enemy team points, or denying the team the capture of a cap. Usually, these DDs have to stay quiet and dark while doing so, and can be left in those positions for quite a long time while they gain little to nothing for XP and the rest of the team goes on doing damage. I think ships that are denying the enemy team points by sitting in one of their caps, or denying the enemy taking a cap should be compensated with ribbons. I think one for every 15 seconds in the cap sounds fair. I've gotten to the point (especially in epicenter) where I don't even bother contesting caps as a DD because A) it's really boring and a lot more fun to sail around and actually fight B) it puts my ship a huge risk and C) as an individual player I get nothing for it.

Great idea OP a +1 to you.  Maybe make it based off of capture/denied.   As in for every tick you hold says 90% of the cap points but are contested you get some portion of what you would have if the cap completed.  Likewise if the enemy has 90% of a cap and you get on to contest, then for every tick you get some portion of credit for reset as you would if you reset them.

Needs to be proportional though to prevent XP farming by sitting on cap being worth more than actually capping/resetting.  Maybe say like 10% value the amounts for each tick.  That way one of those fights that goes on for 10 minutes is still rewarded heavily.  But simply spending a minute sitting on cap NOT resetting someone won't generate any more XP than if you simply had reset them at the start of it.

• Cool 4

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,309 battles
28 minutes ago, SyndicatedINC said:

Great idea OP a +1 to you.  Maybe make it based off of capture/denied.   As in for every tick you hold says 90% of the cap points but are contested you get some portion of what you would have if the cap completed.  Likewise if the enemy has 90% of a cap and you get on to contest, then for every tick you get some portion of credit for reset as you would if you reset them.

Needs to be proportional though to prevent XP farming by sitting on cap being worth more than actually capping/resetting.  Maybe say like 10% value the amounts for each tick.  That way one of those fights that goes on for 10 minutes is still rewarded heavily.  But simply spending a minute sitting on cap NOT resetting someone won't generate any more XP than if you simply had reset them at the start of it.

That's exactly the type of thing I had in mind,

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,309 battles
5 hours ago, Raven114 said:

From your sarcasm, I can only assume you don't think destroyers (or other ship types) should be rewarded for playing these roles in a match. Why is that?

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,309 battles
1 minute ago, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

Why not just use the same XP system that is used in randoms?

I don't know what you mean. What I'm saying is the XP system needs adjustments is this is something I think should be added.

[BBP]
Members
334 posts
4,312 battles

Notser was complaining about ranked game XP generation which is different than random game XP generation.  I think ranked game XP should work like random game XP.

Edited by _MiDKnighTx_

[OPG]
Supertester
1,897 posts
10,218 battles
9 minutes ago, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

Notser was complaining about ranked game XP generation which is different than random game XP generation.  I think ranked game XP should work like random game XP.

I think you are mixing up the two different threads.  Ju87s is suggesting an XP earning change.  By nature that would mean a universal change (ie to Co-Op, Random, and Ranked).

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,309 battles
12 hours ago, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

Notser wasn't just talking about ranked. Those changes he suggested would be just as relevant to randoms. But yes, I think it would be good for both game modes.

Edited by Ju87s

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,698 battles
10 hours ago, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

Notser was complaining about ranked game XP generation which is different than random game XP generation.  I think ranked game XP should work like random game XP

Notser had a lot off good points the biggest thing he did wrong was bring them up in a ranked match,which took a lot off the focus away from the points and more onto it being a ranked match, look at the new update they are giving ribbons/exp for spotting now.

Battle UI

In the previous Update, we added ribbons for aerial bombs. This time, we're adding a "Spotted" ribbon. The new ribbon will be issued when you spot a ship that is spotted for the first time or gets spotted again after remaining undetected for at least 90 seconds of battle time.

So it could be heading in the way off that Notser and the OP have talked about changing the way EXP is earned by adding in some new ways to try and promote teamwork not just for DD but all the classes.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,283 posts
8,940 battles
21 hours ago, Ju87s said:

This is a great idea. I know this because, I, too, have thunk it.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,283 posts
8,940 battles
19 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

It's team play.  It needs to be rewarded, I think.  The more that team play is rewarded, the better that behavior gets reinforced.  Immediate reinforcement of a particular behavior is always best.

Just my two cents,

CS

EXACTLY!

It's time to reward team oriented play instead of weighting individual achievement so heavily.