Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gorduroy

New USN line style of play

16 comments in this topic

[NSC]
[NSC]
Members
10 posts
4,740 battles

Greetings. Like many of you, I'm looking forward to the new USN light cruisers. I have heard their style of play is similar to the existing line, island cover, high arcs, etc. I recently purchased the Atlanta, and having been roasted by them many times I thought I knew what I was getting into. However, I really suck in the Atlanta, I seem to be more geared towards the KM cruiser line with their lower shot trajectory and overall tankiness. I really like the New Orleans however and am wondering if you think the new line will be more like that or closer to the Atlanta style of play. What are some thoughts on how to play the new line?

Members
1,148 posts
3,141 battles

Atlanta is a very oddball ship. She's basically a tier 5 cruiser with a ton of USN dd guns that happens to be tier 7. The light cruiser branch will be somewhat of a combination of the two. Compared to the tech tree ships, atlanta has paper thin armor, a very small hitpoint pool, horrific range and velocities, and great long range AA. You don't have to pick one, just earn some credits and you can play both. 

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
780 posts
6,663 battles

The USN CL line will be a combination of an Atlanta and a radar RN CL (for T8-T10) in one package. If you remember how the Cleveland's guns felt like, that's how the main battery on the Worcester will behave since they're identical.

• Cool 1

[ODIN]
[ODIN]
Members
456 posts
13,320 battles

Im not sute how many Atlanta games you have but I struggled when I first got her. I had barely moved down the U.S. cruiser line at that point though. I think she just takes some getting used to and she's really great in Operation Hermes for making credits.

I'm thinking the new line will play a little more like Atlanta but still similar to the line now, like others have said. Islands will be your friend but you don't have to park behind one all game. I believe they'll be enjoyable but very costly to play with all their consumables.  Tomorrow on PTS you can play the new Cleveland and that should give you an idea.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
171 posts
14,079 battles

the shell speed seems not bad could work with 19km range mod, just don't now how much those shells do to the tier 10 BBs, gotta test out

[NSC]
[NSC]
Members
10 posts
4,740 battles

Thanks for the insights. I checked out some replay and you're right, looks a lot like the Pensacola but insane rate of fire. Should be fun

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

Power of Atlanta is positioning. Do it wrong and you are dead, do it well and you ll be on top of the scoreboard every game.

You know you are doing good when you get to use those torps so now and thn without dieing.

A useful skill that will make you an overall better player.

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

I'm not that good with the CLs yet, but for the CAs you play them as general purpose support ships. Your AP has good penetration angles that can land decent hits and citadels on somewhat angled enemy cruisers, so make full use of that. Shoot at battleships and try to set fires, use HE most of the time (your HE is not IJN HE but still usable) but you could switch to AP at closer ranges when the enemy BB is full broadside. Aim at the upper belt and superstructure to get penetrating hits. If AP is not getting consistent damage, switch back to HE. Shoot at enemy destroyers when you can and help your team, but you don't have the rate of fire to be a DD killer. With the Indianapolis, Baltimore, and Des Moines, you get radar, which you should utilize to spot enemy ships. Use island cover if necessary. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
549 posts
3,605 battles

I, personally, am looking forward to the USS Dallas and the new CL line.  My kind of ships, I think.  I tend to play better in the <160mm, fast firing ships.

My public test server should be ready to go in a few minutes.:cap_like:

CS

[INTEL]
Members
8,567 posts
25,643 battles
On 5/16/2018 at 8:40 PM, Gorduroy said:

Greetings. Like many of you, I'm looking forward to the new USN light cruisers. I have heard their style of play is similar to the existing line, island cover, high arcs, etc. I recently purchased the Atlanta, and having been roasted by them many times I thought I knew what I was getting into. However, I really suck in the Atlanta, I seem to be more geared towards the KM cruiser line with their lower shot trajectory and overall tankiness. I really like the New Orleans however and am wondering if you think the new line will be more like that or closer to the Atlanta style of play. What are some thoughts on how to play the new line?

If you want to learn Atlanta really well, just play it in the Operations again and again. 

Also, PM me if I am in game, I can div for some coop, can show where to park it, how to play it, a few tips here and there, I am no unicum but I do play that particular ship pretty well. 

Also, the best thing about Atlanta isn't roasting BBs. It's face torping them. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,170 posts
11,691 battles
9 hours ago, Gorduroy said:

The new light cruisers are going to be island humpers like the atlanta.  the heavy cruisers up to t8 will have direct fire guns.  After that, the heavies too, become island humpers.

• Funny 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,771 battles

Will be played badly by many, many players. Wait for the QQ forum threads. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[JTF67]
Members
59 posts
3,094 battles
38 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

The new light cruisers are going to be island humpers like the atlanta.  the heavy cruisers up to t8 will have direct fire guns.  After that, the heavies too, become island humpers.

Lol, I've heard "island hugger" but I like "island humper" as well. When I'm in Des Moines or Baltimore my clan mates just call me a "damage [edited]" .

Members
333 posts
3,410 battles

Dallas in particular looks like a slow firing 6" Atlanta that is missing the torps.  Armor is about the same as Atlanta while slightly more than Omaha, range is a little better than Atlanta, still shorter by a little compared to what the Cleveland had (and less than what Omaha has).  Better hope other ships overpen when shooting at you.  This ship will probably be a rough transition from the Omaha, since it is missing the torps that Omaha and Phoenix have.  Not as good Rudder shift or turning circle as Omaha.  I'm not sure what the upside to the Dallas is after the Omaha and Cleveland, although the shells do hit harder than the Omaha.   I know my Edinburgh, Fiji, Leander, and Nurnburg (among others) are looking forward to having some new ships to shoot at.

They really could have just gotten rid of the Phoenix, moved the Omaha down and put the Dallas where the Omaha is, probably would have been easier to balance, but that isn't what they did.  

Sign in to follow this