You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
c3shooter

anyone have any formula for blind fire torpedos?

14 comments in this topic

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,828 battles

So I was offering some support and answering questions posed by another player, when they asked for a formula (or quick guide) to blind firing a torp spread without having a lock on an enemy.

I have only rarely tried to guestimate when that ship will come around an island, and so have no rule of thumb, formula, or other way to base my guess on anything better than intuition. So I open it up, if anyone has anything let me (us) know!

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,782 posts
9,781 battles

dd - 1/4 of ship length from the first gun turret, if the dd is guestimate turn toward then fire inside, if the dd guestimate turn away, fire to the outside 1 salvo, inside 1 salvo this is to cover is the dd driver actually WASD hack and do something unexpected

cruiser - if cruiser is high speed  Russian/france  1/3 of ship length, other nation depend the speed, blind fire between 1/3 to 2/3 of the distant in front

bb - 1/2 of the length

If blind fire around the island, 1 salvo just at the outer edge, watch for movement, move in close and prepare for the 2nd salvo as the 2nd will be the kill. If the red ship try to dodge most like he will curve in and hug the island, some will turn away and some will just stop thus you need to move in close and prepare 

rule of thumb, don't fire even blind fire if ally around or driving into your torp line. Hold on and check

• Cool 1

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,034 posts

Blind fire x 1 = pink

Blind fire x 2 = orange

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[RLGN]
Members
8,241 posts
17,222 battles
4 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

Blind fire x 1 = pink

Blind fire x 2 = orange

Be nice now; got a Double Strike once with Mutsuki blind firing torps.

[O7]
Members
4,933 posts
8,945 battles
6 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

Blind fire x 1 = pink

Blind fire x 2 = orange

Sassy today aren't ya. 

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles

At first I thought you meant without seeing a ship but assuming they are going to a certain area which kind of takes just knowing your torps and timing. I think you meant on a ship without the lead marker though right? Well that also takes some just a little experience in game. First pointer is always lock on with torps to see their current speed and angle. For me:

Spoiler

CV: Is he aware? See which way he moves and account for acceleration. Is he getting his planes shredded in the sky? Don't even bother locking on. Just aim directly at the CV.

DD: You really have to look at the DD. Does he have better firepower than you? If so, I assume he is going to chase me down and push the fight to me. this means he will most likely turn in. I will launch one spread with a decent gap between the lead line closer his ship and the other slightly on the lead line but still closer to his ship. I assume he is going to turn in, see the first spread, turn back the way he was going and run into the second spread. Does he have worse firepower? He is most likely going to kite so one spread in front of the lead line but touching and the other spread on top of the lead line. Assuming he will see the first torps and turn in while slowing down. 

CA/CL: This one is tougher because most of the time this will be from a distance. Angled away from you: On the lead line and closer to his ship than the lead line. Usually there is a decent gap between my spreads. Angled toward you: This one is highly dependent. If they are angled in the direction you are going, I launch a decent bit past the lead line and somewhat closer to the lead line. I wait a few seconds and fire at them. This will usually result in the CA/CL trying to gun you down by going broadside on to you causing them to eat the torps. If they are angled opposite the direction of you I fire them directly on the lead line and based on how they move a little to the side of the lead line. 

BB: Are they being fired at? Are they currently broadside? If you are the BB captain, where would your next move be? If they don't seem to be maneuvering, send them on the lead line and short of the lead line. If they seem to be maneuvering, just think about where they are going. Remember BB's have a slower rudder shift and turret traverse so they aren't likely to zig-zag.

TLDR: If the ship is lightly armored, launch torps and open fire to make them turn into your torps. If it is heavily armored just put yourself in their shoes to determine the movement.

Also another tip, there are times to launch both sets within seconds and there are also times that it is beneficial to allow a few extra seconds to see their reaction. 

• Cool 1

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,828 battles
23 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

Blind fire x 1 = pink

Blind fire x 2 = orange

Haha. Good point.

At least in my mind, the idea was if you are at the front of the charge, or the furthest element.

Predicting when that cruiser or dd who ducked behind the island is coming around. Or if concealment in (or behind) smoke.

But by all means any solid advise taken.

Thank you for the responses so far they are gold!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,569 posts
8,979 battles
56 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

Blind fire x 1 = pink

Blind fire x 2 = orange

Well thought out blind fire is fine. It is the fire from the rear that friendly ships have to worry about that is the problem.

[RKLES]
Members
7,192 posts
8,940 battles

I will Blind Fire Torps if I suspect an enemy is going to come down a narrow channel, or launch nice spread into a base getting capped by invisible enemy ships, or launch a spread to delay or discourage enemy ships from entering a cap, or if enemy layed smoke I blind fire a nice Torp wall to go in and find the enemy ships for me. Most of the time I use the white aiming cone as general guide of where to aim my Torps though.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 1

[2347]
Members
180 posts
5,013 battles

The biggest problem with blind firing isn't with predicting the most logical course your target will choose, it's that so few of your enemies are logical.

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
270 posts
3,680 battles

Today Double striked two red dd hiding in smoke capping and clipped a ca with 2 torps blind firing but its not hard guessing when launching wall of skill in my shimmy

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,437 posts
8,085 battles

Same as when shooting at a ship locked or unlocked, only difference is no range estimation and increased lead to account for longer time to target.

More often than not though for me-

giphy.gif

I honestly just kinda intuit where I need to fire them. Case in point in Scharn, tier 9 fight, try to take a cap because someone has to, get lit up, spot a tier 9 BB in torp range, or rather the edge of it, and he almost immediately vanishes again,  just sorta know where to free, get them off before I'm sunk - boom, all hits and he floods to death. 

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,782 posts
9,781 battles
8 hours ago, c3shooter said:

guestimate when that ship will come around an island

this 1st salvo is to catch island hugger, notice i dont go too closed to the edge of the island. It shallow water, your torp get hit for nothing, aim outside a bit

F4Ev3nt.jpg

2nd salvo is when you move in close, look for the situation and fire the salvo going for the kill .... depending on where the red ship going to be after your first salvo. Normally, do not try this blind fire, if you missed your 2nd salvo you done

KSPogt2.jpg

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,771 battles

Usual choke points or area's of advance. Blind faith and a shot of whiskey. :cap_haloween: