Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_TheEntireUniverse_

We should get ribbons for contributing to base captures too

26 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
100 posts
2,445 battles

I think a ribbon for spotting is a fantastic addition to the game. Let’s also add a ribbon for earning capture points. These are already tracked in the detailed report screen after each battle, but receiving that feedback in real time would help people understand how important capturing bases is. 

 

Edit: to clarify, I mean being rewarded for being in the base while the timer is going. That way starting a cap and contesting a cap is still rewarded even if it is ultimately unsuccessful, and the reward would scale with how much a player actually contributed to flipping the point, not merely whether they are present at the end of the cap. I am aware that XP probably takes this into account, but the important thing is that ribbons provide better real-time feedback than opaque XP numbers.

Edited by _TheEntireUniverse_
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,259
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
2 minutes ago, _TheEntireUniverse_ said:

I think a ribbon for spotting is a fantastic addition to the game. Let’s also add a ribbon for earning capture points. These are already tracked in the detailed report screen after each battle, but receiving that feedback in real time would help people understand how important capturing bases is. 

Do you mean attempting to capture, but failing? There's already the assist in capture ribbon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,826
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

We do they are shown as Capture Ribbons and assisted Capture Ribbons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
100 posts
2,445 battles
3 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Do you mean attempting to capture, but failing? There's already the assist in capture ribbon.

 

2 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

We do they are shown as Capture Ribbons and assisted Capture Ribbons

No, I mean during a capture, not after it is completed. You would start earning them every 10 seconds or something like that as long as you are inside a base and the capture timer is running. That way players are rewarded for starting and contesting captures, not just being inside the circle when the point flips. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
797
[MIA-A]
Members
2,147 posts
6,833 battles

They should add ribbons for "point denial" - 1 ribbon/5 seconds spent in enemy cap.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,826
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
Just now, _TheEntireUniverse_ said:

 

No, I mean during a capture, not after it is completed. You would start earning them every 10 seconds or something like that as long as you are inside a base and the capture timer is running. That way players are rewarded for starting and contesting captures, not just being inside the circle when the point flips. 

No That would Lag down the game. Like giving Citadel hits to in flight Shells. Just silly.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
104
[WAG]
Members
394 posts
7,566 battles
1 minute ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

No That would Lag down the game. Like giving Citadel hits to in flight Shells. Just silly.

While I am not for advocating it, claiming it would lag the game doesn't sound right. Can't you earn defense ribbons over an over again? I can recall getting ten or more defense ribbons off the same ship while defending my team's cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
88
[BORK]
Members
256 posts
5,678 battles

people would just cruise through the cap collecting their xp without actually capping it.

  because its obviously someone elses job to cap im just collecting xp....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
100 posts
2,445 battles
1 minute ago, DustRhino said:

While I am not for advocating it, claiming it would lag the game doesn't sound right. Can't you earn defense ribbons over an over again? I can recall getting ten or more defense ribbons off the same ship while defending my team's cap.

Defense ribbons are awarded for dealing damage to an enemy who is inside a base you control. 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
88
[BORK]
Members
256 posts
5,678 battles
Just now, _TheEntireUniverse_ said:

Defense ribbons are awarded for dealing damage to an enemy who is inside a base you control. 

I thought it had something to do with the player capping the base and their accrued capture points.

 

you hit them it takes a chunk out of the capture points which is reflected in their time lost from the cap timer.

 

if you hit someone who just got hit and had their capture points wiped out you dont get a defended ribbon for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
266
[WOLF1]
Members
2,043 posts

yes, i think just like damage, whatever time you contributed to capping should be rewarded as xp, if you succeeded then get the ribbon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,057
[ARGSY]
Members
6,447 posts
4,302 battles
33 minutes ago, _TheEntireUniverse_ said:

I think a ribbon for spotting is a fantastic addition to the game. Let’s also add a ribbon for earning capture points. These are already tracked in the detailed report screen after each battle, but receiving that feedback in real time would help people understand how important capturing bases is. 

 

Edit: to clarify, I mean being rewarded for being in the base while the timer is going. That way starting a cap and contesting a cap is still rewarded even if it is ultimately unsuccessful, and the reward would scale with how much a player actually contributed to flipping the point, not merely whether they are present at the end of the cap. I am aware that XP probably takes this into account, but the important thing is that ribbons provide better real-time feedback than opaque XP numbers.

To quote Yoda: Do, or do not. There is no Try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
266
[WOLF1]
Members
2,043 posts
17 minutes ago, MokrieDela said:

people would just cruise through the cap collecting their xp without actually capping it.

  because its obviously someone elses job to cap im just collecting xp....

cruise through takes lots of damage and guts, if you are not stealthy like dd, so should be rewarded, also most cap size if you cruise through you cap it already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
353
[NAVY]
Members
1,009 posts
3,795 battles
10 minutes ago, DustRhino said:

While I am not for advocating it, claiming it would lag the game doesn't sound right. Can't you earn defense ribbons over an over again? I can recall getting ten or more defense ribbons off the same ship while defending my team's cap.

Yes. You can multiple defended base ribbons.

7 minutes ago, _TheEntireUniverse_ said:

Defense ribbons are awarded for dealing damage to an enemy who is inside a base you control. 

 

5 minutes ago, MokrieDela said:

I thought it had something to do with the player capping the base and their accrued capture points.

 

you hit them it takes a chunk out of the capture points which is reflected in their time lost from the cap timer.

 

if you hit someone who just got hit and had their capture points wiped out you dont get a defended ribbon for it.

From https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/guides/advanced-honors-and-awards/

9a6c48c2-3aea-11e5-8929-000c29ca62ad.png

Defended Base

When you reduce enemy capture points by successfully hitting an enemy in your base/control point.

and from http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Ribbons

416_ribbon_base_defense.png

Defended - One ribbon is awarded per hit which reduces accumulated capture points on an enemy ship within a capture point.

The WoWs wiki gives further detailed info on how defending a cap or domination point works in each of the game modes, http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Game_Modes, which is the same in each of three different modes.

Domination 

Sailing into an enemy's control area will immediately prevent them from accruing points from it, as well as beginning the capture of it (unless they also occupy it). Taking damage will cause a ship to lose half of the capture points it has accrued. ...

Standard

Sailing into the enemy's control area will immediately prevent them from accruing points from it, as well as beginning the capture of it (unless they also occupy it). Taking damage will cause a ship to lose half of the capture points it has accrued. ...

Epicenter

Sailing into an enemy's "ring" will immediately prevent them from accruing points from it, as well as beginning the capture of it (unless they also occupy it). Taking damage will cause a ship to lose half of the capture points it has accrued

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
266
[WOLF1]
Members
2,043 posts

a related question:

say if 2 ships are both capping, if A doesn't get hit, only B gets hit, will B's damage also reset A's capping?

Edited by Happy668

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
353
[NAVY]
Members
1,009 posts
3,795 battles
38 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

a related question:

say if 2 ships are both capping, if A doesn't get hit, only B get hit, will B's damage also reset A's capping?

 

From the WoWs Wiki on game modes, http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Game_Modes (edit: fixed link)

In any of three types of Co-Op or Random game modes - Domination, Standard, or Epicenter - Taking damage will cause a ship to lose half of the capture points it has accrued.

What that means, is in your example, that if B gets hit, only half of B's capture points are reset. Ship A continues capping full steam ahead and none of its capture points are reset. Only the ship that is hit and damaged has its capture points reset by half.

Edited by daVinci761st

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
266
[WOLF1]
Members
2,043 posts
17 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

 

From the WoWs Wiki on game modes, http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Game_Modes.

In any of three types of Co-Op or Random game modes - Domination, Standard, or Epicenter - Taking damage will cause a ship to lose half of the capture points it has accrued.

What that means, is in your example, that if B gets hit, only half of B's capture points are reset. Ship A continues capping full steam ahead and none of its capture points are reset. Only the ship that is hit and damaged has its capture points reset by half.

thanks.

sometimes 1 salvo get you 2-3 defend ribbons, how does that work? 1 shell does 1/2, the 2nd shell does another 1/2?

btw your link doesn't work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
491
[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,039 posts
3,580 battles
46 minutes ago, _TheEntireUniverse_ said:

Defense ribbons are awarded for dealing damage to an enemy who is inside a base you control.

No damage has to be dealt, simply hitting the ship will cause the ship to lose half of it's accrued capture points.
 

23 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

 

From the WoWs Wiki on game modes, http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Game_Modes.

In any of three types of Co-Op or Random game modes - Domination, Standard, or Epicenter - Taking damage will cause a ship to lose half of the capture points it has accrued.

What that means, is in your example, that if B gets hit, only half of B's capture points are reset. Ship A continues capping full steam ahead and none of its capture points are reset. Only the ship that is hit and damaged has its capture points reset by half.

As a result, It is possible for Ship A to get "Capture" instead of "Assisted capture" and for Ship B to receive no ribbon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,788 posts
5,665 battles

I think we should get ribbons for Logging in and Out.:Smile_facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
353
[NAVY]
Members
1,009 posts
3,795 battles
4 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

thanks.

sometimes 1 salvo get you 2-3 defend ribbons, how does that work? 1 shell does 1/2, the 2nd shell does another 1/2?

btw your link doesn't work

You're welcome and thanks for the heads up on the link. I fixed it.

In the case where you fire 1 salvo and you get multiple defense ribbons, I'm assuming per the info provided by WG and the WoWs wiki, that it is working as you described. The ship as accrued enough capture points that 1 shell hits the ship, resetting half of the capture points, and another shell hits further reducing it by half.

I know I have had both scenarios happen where I've received 2 or 3 defense ribbons for shooting an enemy ship attempting to capture multiple times over a short period of time but there are other times I only received 1 defense ribbon. 

5 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

No damage has to be dealt, simply hitting the ship will cause the ship to lose half of it's accrued capture points.
 

As a result, It is possible for Ship A to get "Capture" instead of "Assisted capture" and for Ship B to receive no ribbon.

Aye. I've been in matches where we lost that way because there were 3 ships in the base but the team only focused on 2 while the third enemy kept capping, eventually capping out for the win.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
88
[BORK]
Members
256 posts
5,678 battles
37 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

cruise through takes lots of damage and guts, if you are not stealthy like dd, so should be rewarded, also most cap size if you cruise through you cap it already

you dont have to go through the center....just cruise through as long as you touch it you get some extra xp...

 

like how some games give loot rights to anyone who hit a mob...you dont have to be the majority damage dealer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
491
[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,039 posts
3,580 battles
15 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

You're welcome and thanks for the heads up on the link. I fixed it.

In the case where you fire 1 salvo and you get multiple defense ribbons, I'm assuming per the info provided by WG and the WoWs wiki, that it is working as you described. The ship as accrued enough capture points that 1 shell hits the ship, resetting half of the capture points, and another shell hits further reducing it by half.

I know I have had both scenarios happen where I've received 2 or 3 defense ribbons for shooting an enemy ship attempting to capture multiple times over a short period of time but there are other times I only received 1 defense ribbon.

Aye. I've been in matches where we lost that way because there were 3 ships in the base but the team only focused on 2 while the third enemy kept capping, eventually capping out for the win.

 

Each shell hit = 1 defense ribbon. A minimum of 1 point has to be removed. 0 damage has to occur. Ship doesn't start reacquiring points for a few seconds (don't remember exact number of seconds) after the last shell hit.

And yeah, I've been in matches like that myself. Once on the winning team. Being a DD makes it very easy to not be spotted while in a cap.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
266
[WOLF1]
Members
2,043 posts
36 minutes ago, MokrieDela said:

you dont have to go through the center....just cruise through as long as you touch it you get some extra xp...

 

like how some games give loot rights to anyone who hit a mob...you dont have to be the majority damage dealer.

if you stay in cap for a very short time, then you gain very little xp, no one will do that just for the fun of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
789
[NG-NL]
Members
5,038 posts
8,290 battles

No.

If we get more ribbons, that allows more ways to get XP. The grinding in WOWS is permanent (unless you get account ban and have to make new one). I don't believe it's in WG's best interest to give more XP means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×