Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
reigne

USN radar skills

9 comments in this topic

Members
7 posts
2,642 battles

I have a T8 Benson, T8 North Carolina, and a T7 Pensacola. Do any American T8 and up have radar or hydro capabilities?  

Is there a difference between radar and hydro?

[-THOR]
Members
591 posts
3,246 battles

Radar is on the t8 cruiser new orleans and up. The destroyers and battleships except for missouri do not have hydro or radar.

Radar has a longer range and lasts shorter, and it only detects ships.

Hydro has a shorter range but lasts a lot longer and detects both ships and torpedoes.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,432 posts
3,875 battles

Best way to use it is to get behind an island where nobody can see or shoot you, wait for a cap to start turning, and punch it so your team can kill the destroyer while said destroyer has no way of knowing you were there.

• Boring 1

[UEFN]
Members
389 posts
11,740 battles

spotting planes is a poor-man-radar for USN BB, works pretty good too.

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles

Do make sure someone can shoot the ship you are radaring. Maybe even tell your team in chat before you do it so they can swing their guns around to bear on the ship you're about to radar. Radar, if used correctly, can be one of the most devilish tools in WoWs.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,323 posts
6,609 battles

Every American Cruiser from T4 until T10 has the ability to use Hydro. If you do not see this Consumable, you can select it instead of Defensive Fire under the Consumable section of your ship in port. Remember that this leaves you more vulnerable to air strikes, so plan in advance if you consider it worth it.

Radar can be found on the Tech Tree Cruisers at T8 and higher, and on the Indianapolis and the Atlanta. Special case is the Missouri which also comes with a Radar. Again if you can not see it, you should be able to select it instead of the Fighter/Spotter plane. In almost every case the Radar is stronger than the plane, so you should select Radar asap.

The key differences between Hydro and Radar are the targets they spot, and the range and duration. Hydro is more versatile as in that it spots Torpedoes and ships, but only at a relatively short range. The ship spotting is not really a thing unless you are moving around a smokescreen or islands, however especially against deep water Torpedoes the Torpedo spotting ability is very strong. The duration of Hydro can be very long, lasting up to 146 seconds with the proper module (this is German Hydro however). Your Battleships will love you if you manage to detect the incoming Torpedoes via Hydro.

Radar is specialized in detecting ships, and is completely useless against Torpedoes. Also it lasts noticably shorter, the longest duration being 56 seconds on a Des Moines with the duration module. However this is compensated with a much longer detection range, for the USN with up to 9.9km which is well capable of surprising Destroyers that are threatening your allies or yourself. To maximise the impct of this consumable, communicate it‘s usage with your team and announce when you will use it and where. That way your team can focus on whatever you will spot, and increase the chances of a kill.

[SIDE]
Members
1,431 posts
3 hours ago, reigne said:

I have a T8 Benson, T8 North Carolina, and a T7 Pensacola. Do any American T8 and up have radar or hydro capabilities?  

Is there a difference between radar and hydro?

Indy does... I think. New Orleans, Baltimore and Des Moines do. Atlanta premium does. The B.B. Missouri does too.

American line not as prolific with hydro option.

Radar typically trades duration for range while hydro lasts 300%+ longer but is roughly 50-75% the range. Hydro can also detect torps further out while radar does nothing for torps at all. 

Both are very useful tools when used intelligently. They are powerful when teams can coordinate firing on concealed targets when they get lit. Neither hydro nor radar is something you want to risk getting killed trying to use.

Hope it helps.

Members
7 posts
2,642 battles
Thank you everyone. It gives me the option of hydro on the Pensecola so I'm going to try it out. 

A bit off subject....the Radio Location in the Commander Skills....how does that work?  Is it useful?  

[SIDE]
Members
1,431 posts
4 hours ago, reigne said:

Thank you everyone. It gives me the option of hydro on the Pensecola so I'm going to try it out. 

A bit off subject....the Radio Location in the Commander Skills....how does that work?  Is it useful?  

Very. In some boats. Some times. Takes a good bit more skill to infer usedul knowledge from rdf. Certainly helpful info but for some players it is a debate as to whether or not the points are better spent elsewhere. Again, depends on the boat and the player. I use it on several.

Sign in to follow this