You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chobittsu

Kerbal Space Program - Spyware

10 comments in this topic

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,584 posts

This is an emergency announcement for all Kerbal Space Program users. The updated EULA has been released by Take Two after it bought SQUAD, and contains the following:

"By installing and using the Software, you consent to the information collection and usage terms set forth in this section and Licensor's Privacy Policy, including (where applicable) (i) the transfer of any personal information and other information to Licensor, its affiliates, vendors, and business partners, and to certain other third parties, such as governmental authorities, in the U.S. and other countries located outside Europe or your home country, including countries that may have lower standards of privacy protection; (ii) the public display of your data, such as identification of your user-created content or displaying your scores, ranking, achievements, and other gameplay data on websites and other platforms; (iii) the sharing of your gameplay data with hardware manufacturers, platform hosts, and Licensor's marketing partners; and (iv) other uses and disclosures of your personal information or other information as specified in the above-referenced Privacy Policy, as amended from time to time. If you do not want your information used or shared in this manner, then you should not use the Software."

and

"The information we collect may include personal information such as your first and/or last name, e-mail address, phone number, photo, mailing address, geolocation, or payment information. In addition, we may collect your age, gender, date of birth, zip code, hardware configuration, console ID, software products played, survey data, purchases, IP address and the systems you have played on. We may combine the information with your personal information and across other computers or devices that you may use."

This product can now safely be considered spyware, use at your own risk. This concludes this PSA.

[RKLES]
Members
7,239 posts
9,038 battles

So we are not allowed to inform US government of info that happens in Wargaming games?

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Well, I am so glad that the last KSP version I downloaded was from before the Take Two debacle. This is just soul-crushing to watch, though.

[SOUP]
7,584 posts
4 hours ago, Landsraad said:

Well, I am so glad that the last KSP version I downloaded was from before the Take Two debacle. This is just soul-crushing to watch, though.

I've had a LOOOONNNG history with KSP, I was in the playerbase and forums since it had only Kerbin, Mun and a sprite representing the sun. I made fanart for it and was working on a whole flowing narrative about my space program. I even did design work for modmakers. But then 4chan arrived, decided I was a threat to them and bullied me out of the community with the help of moderators that they convinced I was a Nazi.

Then I found my way over to the War Thunder community, which also soured after some time, and now I'm here. Having followed KSP's development from the early days, this does not surprise me at all, considering that SQUAD has a habit of firing employees after their assigned project is finished. "Hey nice work on adding the mining and resource collection physics, we don't need you anymore, you're fired." All their shady business practices came to light after a former employee's NDA agreement ran down, basically, the place is a digital sweatshop and the team is paid peanuts

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

So wait, I have KSP and play it occasionally, what am I supposed to do with it if I don't want they sucking my personal information out?

Edited by Sventex

[SOUP]
7,584 posts
Just now, Sventex said:

So wait, I have KSP, what am I supposed to do with it if I don't want they sucking my personal information out?

You could probably lock it behind a few firewalls, theres bound to be ways to prevent anything linked to it from connecting anywhere. Personally though, I just vapourized it, as did many of my friends

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
5 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

You could probably lock it behind a few firewalls, theres bound to be ways to prevent anything linked to it from connecting anywhere. Personally though, I just vapourized it, as did many of my friends

I love that game, I'm not sure I'd have the heart to vaporize it.  I never did finish my mission to Laythe, I didn't realize I was on the clock.

Spoiler

uiUz3gbf_o.jpg

[SOUP]
7,584 posts
19 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I love that game, I'm not sure I'd have the heart to vaporize it.  I never did finish my mission to Laythe, I didn't realize I was on the clock.

I was actually one of the first to land on Laythe, https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/File:ProbeonLaythe.png

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
3 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

I was actually one of the first to land on Laythe, https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/File:ProbeonLaythe.png

I think one of the reasons I haven't finished the mission it is because I'm afraid the SSTO I made was only designed with Kermin in mind could possibly not make it out of Laythe (or have enough lift for a safe landing), then I got caught up with making one SSTO after the other.

Edited by Sventex