You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
1978gharvey

german H series battleships

61 comments in this topic

[PRDEF]
Members
11 posts
4,791 battles

hello to all my fellow captains. i'd like to open a topic that some have already brought up. I would also like to hear opinions 

[PRDEF]
Members
11 posts
4,791 battles

how do you guys feel about the german battleships in the H series designs? particularly the H44?

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles

I want an H class Battleship, perfect thing for the Summer teams... :cap_haloween:

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles

[ARGSY]
Members
6,285 posts
4,243 battles

IIRC, Wargaming have said that Yamato is the ceiling for gun calibre and will remain so. So, no German 20" designs and no HMS Incomparable (Jacky Fisher wet dream, basically a 20 inch gunned Renown as long as a Nimitz-class carrier).

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
8 minutes ago, _cthulhu_ said:

whats an H44?

Massive German Battleship, twice the size of Yamato, and gets 20’ guns...

82DC58E3-A6B2-415C-A382-292DBD46F281.thumb.jpeg.ca735f57b7e38032fbaa963dc3a17803.jpeg

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
Added picture

[PVE]
Members
511 posts
4,326 battles
2 minutes ago, _cthulhu_ said:

whats an H44?

A bigger Bismarck with 508s.

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IIRC, Wargaming have said that Yamato is the ceiling for gun calibre and will remain so. So, no German 20" designs and no HMS Incomparable (Jacky Fisher wet dream, basically a 20 inch gunned Renown as long as a Nimitz-class carrier).

This still does not Rule out some of the H Class BBs since some of the middle ones get 18’ guns

Members
13 posts
2,406 battles

the German tier 9 BB is an H39 type and the tier 10 BB could be a H44 type with a triple turret setup unlike the double that was originally planned.

[SIMP]
Members
832 posts
8,431 battles
3 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

This still does not Rule out some of the H Class BBs since some of the middle ones get 18’ guns

I dunno -

The German navy did not seriously consider construction on any of the designs, which were so large that they could not have been built in a traditional slipway. Indeed, the Construction Office of the OKM sought to disassociate itself from the projects, which they found to be of doubtful merit and unnecessary for German victory.[39]

Sounds perfect for the next Soviet premium BB to arrive though

[SIMP]
Members
832 posts
8,431 battles
1 minute ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Hiding behind an island? Would be a shame if someone removed the island from the map.:cap_haloween:

Torps go under islands... so yeah, there is that.

Also 12.7 METRE draft, not much chance to island hump in that boat

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
1 minute ago, _cthulhu_ said:

Torps go under islands... so yeah, there is that.

Also 12.7 METRE draft, not much chance to island hump in that boat

Lol H class would be the islands... :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,895 battles
23 minutes ago, KaiserinaLiz1 said:

the German tier 9 BB is an H39 type and the tier 10 BB could be a H44 type with a triple turret setup unlike the double that was originally planned.

Nope, H44 would have never made it to the game. The T10 is a idea based on the H41. The KM didn't had any real idea about triple turrets.

And the H44 would be big enough to be a Island by her own. :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles

Before people get carried away by their fantasies, let me remind you about something that's not often said about the H-class battleships.

The Construction Office of the

Oberkommando der Marine (OKM) formally concluded their work on new battleships with the H-41 type and played no further role in battleship development... As the designs for the H-42, H-43, and H-44 battleships were purely conjectural, no actual work was begun. The German navy did not seriously consider construction on any of the designs, which were so large that they could not have been built in a traditional slipway. Indeed, the Construction Office of the OKM sought to disassociate itself from the projects, which they found to be of doubtful merit and unnecessary for German victory.

Furthermore, from INRO No. 4, 1974 issue:

None of these designs [H-42, H-42, H-44] were ever finalized and, considering Germany's shipbuilding resources at that time and the turn of events of the war, the projects were little else than interesting pipedreams.

So no, the H-42, 43, and 44 aren't some "wonder weapon" designs; in fact, anything beyond the H-41 aren't even designs, they're purely conjectural studies and guesswork and don't deserve to be consider the same as a serious finished design like Montana.

Edited by DeliciousFart
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles
11 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I want an H class Battleship, perfect thing for the Summer teams... :cap_haloween:

You already have an H-class battleship, it's the Tier 9 Friedrich der Grosse, which is the H-39. The Tier 10 Grosser Kurfuerst combines various aspects of different H-class design proposals and is already pushing the realms of possibility. Anything larger than H-41 aren't even real designs, they're just conjectural studies that don't deserve to be considered the same as a finalized design like Montana, 1938 Lion, H-39, Ibuki, etc. That battleship sketch you posted earlier is literally a fake napkin drawing that doesn't even correspond to the hypothetical H-44 dimensions.

Edited by DeliciousFart
  • Cool 2

[PRDEF]
Members
11 posts
4,791 battles

actually admiral raeder who was hitler's highest ranking naval officer designed all of the H class including the Tirpitz and bismark. up until the british sank the bismark hitler fully intended on building the entire class. i'm by no means an expert but I was really needing some opinions from the cummunity

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles
Just now, 1978gharvey said:

actually admiral raeder who was hitler's highest ranking naval officer designed all of the H class including the Tirpitz and bismark. up until the british sank the bismark hitler fully intended on building the entire class. i'm by no means an expert but I was really needing some opinions from the cummunity

Erich Raeder didn't "design" all of the H-class proposals. As the head of the Kriegsmarine until 1942, Raeder would have large influence on the operational requirements that would result in the H-39 and H-41 designs. However, anything larger like H-42 to H-44 are pure conjectural studies that the Construction Office of the OKM didn't even play a part of.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,405 posts
3,875 battles

Outside of FDG and Kurfurst, not happening.

Not unless you also think Tillmans would be a good addition. Which would just tell those of us with any sense that you're a lunatic who shouldn't be listened to.

Members
475 posts
5,688 battles
1 hour ago, 1978gharvey said:

how do you guys feel about the german battleships in the H series designs? particularly the H44?

You don't have the H44 in the game.  That is the sad part. What you have is H39/41 at tier 9.

Members
1,936 posts
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Massive German Battleship, twice the size of Yamato, and gets 20’ guns...

82DC58E3-A6B2-415C-A382-292DBD46F281.thumb.jpeg.ca735f57b7e38032fbaa963dc3a17803.jpeg

>still only 8 barrels

The eternal kraut (doesn't) strike again

• Funny 1