Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
__crazy8s_

Should ships that explode cause damage to team mates that are close?

17 comments in this topic

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

With the latest developments coming from Wargaming on WoWs it's been pretty incredible.  So far the only thing that I can have a small complaint about is as follows, right at the start of the match the game likes to freeze up before you actually start the match.  On top of getting the occasional disconnect.  I've seen lots of complaints about this.  How ever complaints and gripes out of the way.

My thought is this.  Normally when ships explode they send shrapnel everywhere and every which direction from the explosion site.  So many times I've seen ships detonate or explode when they die but nothing happens.  The only thing that happens is that player is dead.  Now if a ship does explode for example it could cause minimal damage or massive amounts of damage to a friendly player depending on how close to the ship that friendly player is to the exploding vessel.  Personally I do feel that this would make the game quite a bit more interesting.  

I'm not exactly sure on how the kill radius would be worked out.  But if a friendly ship is too close to a ship being detonated like I said they could either be severely damaged and quickly have to use their repair party.  Or be utterly destroyed.  I am not sure how the damage would work from this, if the player on the opposite team would receive the damage from ship on ship explosion.  Or if the damage count could be spread across the entire team.  Personally if a player shoots a ship and it explodes I would rather see that the damage gets divided up among the team that killed the ship.  I'm not exactly sure how that would fully work but I'm sure something could be worked out.  Well thanks for listening.  Hope this isn't a absolutely horrible idea.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,479 battles

No

• Cool 2

Members
249 posts
10,484 battles

I wouldn't want the damage. IRL the ships would not be maneuvering this close to each other. However, it would be cool if there were sounds from the fragments hitting the sides of the ship.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
4 minutes ago, Komrade_Rylo said:

No

This:Smile_great:

NO

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

Well guys my main reason for suggesting this is because of those annoying players that like to try and hide behind you using you as cannon fodder while he or she fires over you and sometimes fires at you, causing team damage.

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles

It would be interesting, but I doubt WG would ever add it due to the severe hate from everyone that wouldn't want it. It would be more realistic, but this game is already very far away from being "realistic". If anything were added, maybe it'd be when a ship detonates. Ships don't just "blow up" randomly. They list, and then go under. 

Edited by Rpkscout1

[-K-]
Members
5,310 posts
9,141 battles

No thanks.  We already have enough potential damage sources to worry about.  

Plus, what is the counter to this?  If I'm a low health DD and a friendly Omaha gets nuked from full health and kills me, how would I ever be able to knowingly react in time?  Sounds about as satisfying as random detonations.

Members
9,997 posts
9 minutes ago, SuperSpud1 said:

Well guys my main reason for suggesting this is because of those annoying players that like to try and hide behind you using you as cannon fodder while he or she fires over you and sometimes fires at you, causing team damage.

Wouldn't solve a thing, and people would simply exploit it by approaching you in low health and letting someone kill him.....

Think thru the consequences of any change you post....

Members
1,641 posts
7,482 battles
16 minutes ago, SuperSpud1 said:

With the other system, trolls can facehug you and die, causing even more team damage. Inserting potential gates for griefing.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

Should ships that explode cause damage to team mates that are close?

In reality -- absolutely.

I world of warships....

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,861 posts
13,078 battles

No.

But I'm still waiting for the massive Detonation graphics.  

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

All very good inputs. Thanks for the criticism.

Edited by SuperSpud1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
1 hour ago, SuperSpud1 said:

With the latest developments coming from Wargaming on WoWs it's been pretty incredible.  So far the only thing that I can have a small complaint about is as follows, right at the start of the match the game likes to freeze up before you actually start the match.  On top of getting the occasional disconnect.  I've seen lots of complaints about this.  How ever complaints and gripes out of the way.

My thought is this.  Normally when ships explode they send shrapnel everywhere and every which direction from the explosion site.  So many times I've seen ships detonate or explode when they die but nothing happens.  The only thing that happens is that player is dead.  Now if a ship does explode for example it could cause minimal damage or massive amounts of damage to a friendly player depending on how close to the ship that friendly player is to the exploding vessel.  Personally I do feel that this would make the game quite a bit more interesting.  

I'm not exactly sure on how the kill radius would be worked out.  But if a friendly ship is too close to a ship being detonated like I said they could either be severely damaged and quickly have to use their repair party.  Or be utterly destroyed.  I am not sure how the damage would work from this, if the player on the opposite team would receive the damage from ship on ship explosion.  Or if the damage count could be spread across the entire team.  Personally if a player shoots a ship and it explodes I would rather see that the damage gets divided up among the team that killed the ship.  I'm not exactly sure how that would fully work but I'm sure something could be worked out.  Well thanks for listening.  Hope this isn't a absolutely horrible idea.

I would say yes it should, but this is a game, it's like a CV whos deck is ablaze but they can take off and land, if they have that capt skill.

Members
2,515 posts
5,500 battles

YES - you get splash damage if you are too close whether its a enemy ship or friendly ship. Why make a distinction as to which is which?   The math of HOW much at what distance would have to be worked out but you would sustain max damage and even may get detroyed if your HP is low. 

Here are some interesting scenarios to consider. You will like these...

GREEN Captain  in GREEN Ship1 shots RED ship1 and it blows up.   RED SHIP2 was very close to RED ship1 so it blow up as well.   Green Captain 1 gets double kill.

GREEN Captain  in GREEN Ship1 shoots RED Ship 1 and it blows up.  Green Ship 2 is near RED Ship 1 and takes splash damage or blows up. What happens then ? Is it s TK for Green Captain 1 or does RED Ship 1 take credit for damages to Green Ship 2 ??

Of course its all in the way WOW would write the rulebook in this case but you can see it can go every which way depending on HOW you think it makes the most sense. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,827 posts
10,390 battles

This didn't happen that much historically at sea, so there's not much reason to include it on that basis.

There is the USS Birmingham being damaged by an explosion on USS Princeton an example - http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/062/04062.htm

The difference there was that the Birmingham was alongside the Princeton conducting firefighting operations. She actually suffered more casualties than the Princeton did.

This would be a very niche feature with very occasional implementation, would be potentially vulnerable to trolling and overall seems low priority at best to include.

Sign in to follow this