You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aeries1

The Most Potato'd Class and the Strongest Classes

Most Potato'd Class and Most Influential Classes  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Most Potato'd Class

• DD
    • CL/CA
    • BB
  2. 2. 2 Classes With the Most Carry Ability

• DD
    • CL/CA
    • BB

46 comments in this topic

Members
605 posts
7,221 battles

Simple poll.  Where do the potatoes hide?  What are the 2 most influential classes of the 3 main surface vessels?  This is for random play not clan battles or ranked.

My personal opinion.  BB by a landslide is the worst played.  It's not even close.  Bad players flock to it like a moth to a flame.  Why?  They are the most forgiving class to play.

Most influential would be BB and DD.  While I love playing cruisers I am full aware it is full on tryhard mode, especially in high tiers.

I think DDs are in a good place as are BBs for the most part.  Cruisers could use a bit of work.  They are a DoT class, but are the most susceptible to be insta-deleted more than any other save for a DD catching a torp.  BB citadels have gotten smaller and smaller over the years, yet cruisers for the most part remain huge and easy to hit.  My opinion would be to either lower or reduce the citadel size of cruisers as a whole or to reduce the amount of max AP damage from BBs.

Your thoughts?

What is your choices and why?

What could WG do to mix things up and improve the game?

• Cool 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

Very difficult! BBs have so much armour and HP that they can survive for a long time. So easy to get salty to watch how they fail.

On the other hand coming across a cruiser player that understands it is just as rare. 

I really dunno,, guessed BB, because I am still salty. I think cruisers can carry easiest, because they can move fast and have accurate guns.

[DAKI]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
737 posts
4,161 battles

Honestly... CV is both the best for carrying and the one most often potatoed. 

After that though, DD's have a lot of carrying ability but are also very easy to make mistakes in and very heavily potato'd (hence why good DD stats is so easy.)

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
4,549 posts
11,437 battles

On this server, it's as if almost every BB player is from Idaho (Yours Truly included, though I'm from Germany, lol).  Especially when talking about US BBs in the low to upper-mid-tiers.

There are, of course, a few stars out there.  But the majority?  Ugh...  Just put it away.

As far as carry potential, imo, cruisers are the strongest when played to their strengths and by those who know what they're doing.  DDs a very close second.

Edited by Kuckoo

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

DDs, CAs, and BBs aren't classes.  I'd argue the American BBs are the most potatoed ship types in the game, with their winrates scraping the bottom of the barrel while also sporting the highest number of games played.

[DAY]
Members
1,186 posts
11,774 battles

obvioualy BB for both...

torps take too long to reload, only BB can 1-shot delete someone else every 30s

Edited by jason199506

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,808 posts
15,336 battles
1 hour ago, Aeries1 said:

Most influential would be BB and DD.

Your poll is biased, because it contains no checkpoint for CVs, which are the most influential type of ship in the game right now; DDs come in at a distant second, followed by cruisers, followed by BBs for the reason you stated above; about half of them are driven by camping noobs. The ONLY reason BBs survive until the end of most matches is because they spend most of their time way, way in the back where no one can shoot them; funny for a ship which has the best armor inn the game.

[LEGIT]
Members
380 posts
8,657 battles

I would say that cruisers have the most potatoes. Every game almost, some cruiser will get deleted in the first 3 minutes.(To be fair, this may also be due to cruisers having a much higher skill ceiling than all other classes, since you won't include CV's) They don't understand cruisers at all. Weirdly though, people don't seem to care about losing a couple cruisers in a couple minutes, and people don't complain about them, at all. BB's obviously are more forgiving, so people notice them potatoing for a LOT longer, and tend to notice more. There are also a lot of DD potatoes out there, and those are the WORST! You can't win when your DD's avoid caps, wont spot, and torp from Max range, again and again, without ever hitting anything. After the CV, hands down I would say the most influential ship is the DD, so a potato DD has a lot bigger impact on the team than potato peeling, mouth breathing, window licking BB or CA/CL. But I firmly believe there's a lot of potatoes in all classes, but due to BB's being more forgiving and tougher, people simply notice them more, and there's a perception that BB's are the most potatoe'd class... But my theory is that's all it is, a perception.(And a wrong one at that) You can win a match with a couple potato BB's, but if your DD's are potatoes ( and a lot of them are, let's be for real here) The win is SO MUCH harder.

Edited by The_Grand_One

[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,084 posts
9,013 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

Your poll is biased, because it contains no checkpoint for CVs, which are the most influential type of ship in the game right now; DDs come in at a distant second, followed by cruisers, followed by BBs for the reason you stated above; about half of them are driven by camping noobs. The ONLY reason BBs survive until the end of most matches is because they spend most of their time way, way in the back where no one can shoot them; funny for a ship which has the best armor inn the game.

Or too slow to keep up.

Members
605 posts
7,221 battles
3 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Your poll is biased, because it contains no checkpoint for CVs, which are the most influential type of ship in the game right now;

Made it very clear that this was about the 3 main classes of surface vessels, CV's aside.  We can throw in CVs once they become more common than the dodo bird after the rework, if they ever get one.

Edited by Aeries1

Members
1,936 posts
39 minutes ago, Sventex said:

DDs, CAs, and BBs aren't classes.  I'd argue the American BBs are the most potatoed ship types in the game, with their winrates scraping the bottom of the barrel while also sporting the highest number of games played.

This is an arcade moba, not a naval simulator

Using gaming nomenclature is perfectly acceptable

Members
1,640 posts
7,482 battles
50 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

DD is both

Totally agree.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
10 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

This is an arcade moba, not a naval simulator

Using gaming nomenclature is perfectly acceptable

Then he should have used gaming nomenclature, instead of the wrong word.  I came to this thread expecting a discussion on ship classes.

Edited by Sventex

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,808 posts
15,336 battles
12 minutes ago, Aeries1 said:

Made it very clear that this was about the 3 main classes of surface vessels, CV's aside.  We can throw in CVs once they become more common than the dodo bird after the rework, if they ever get one.

If you're ever in a match with @Femennenly, please do tell her the ships she excells in aren't "one of the main classes of ships in the game"; if you can do that before she sinks you. CVs are one of FOUR main classes of ships in the game, the CV rework is SOLELY to re-vitalize them after WoW has utterly and totally screwed them up for two years, and your poll is biased and slanted, and therefore worthless. Troll on!

Members
605 posts
7,221 battles
2 minutes ago, Umikami said:

If you're ever in a match with @Femennenly, please do tell her the ships she excells in aren't "one of the main classes of ships in the game"; if you can do that before she sinks you. CVs are one of FOUR main classes of ships in the game, the CV rework is SOLELY to re-vitalize them after WoW has utterly and totally screwed them up for two years, and your poll is biased and slanted, and therefore worthless. Troll on!

I know words are hard, but what part of ship to ship surface classes is hard to understand?

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

/joking I've heard rumors of this mythical 4th ship type in the game that was lost to the mists of time.  I thought it was only a bedtime story to frighten children.

[LEGIT]
Members
380 posts
8,657 battles

Another point, that I forgot to mention in my above post : Is it so wrong to have potato BB's? let me try to make sense of this retarded sounding statement:

1. If you were to recommend this game to someone, what ship class would you recommend they begin with? Which class of ship makes you understand the mechanics of armor, fire, management of consumables, and the importance of aiming, the best? Which ship type is the most forgiving and enjoyable for a new player, giving them more game time to learn the mechanics of the game? I would argue of course, that this is the BB.

2. A BB I firmly believe can have a huge impact on a game, but at the same time a potato BB doesn't screw the time quite as much as another class who completely potatoes.

3. A new player by default is forced to start the game in cruisers, and usually will quickly notice how fast they die in them, and how tough a BB seems to be, and how sneaky and hard to hit DD's can be. And so new players by nature will tend to gravitate to what seems" better", without knowing the particular place each ship types occupy. Thus, you will see more new players in BB's since they look the most impressive, and then DD's because they seem so sneaky and hard to hit for a new player. Where would you rather see the new players on your team? I personally would rather see them in the BB.

4. Each class has a different skill floor, and skill ceiling. The skill floor for a BB is the lowest, so again this is the type of ship I would recommend to any new player I would suggest this game to. It's armor, high HP pool, repairs, DCP, and the sometimes lucky shots make it a good choice for beginners. The second lowest skill floor is the DD, since it's concealment and speed allow it to disappear, but one has to know how that works to begin with. The skill ceiling is very high, but the floor is also pretty low. Third highest floor is the cruisers, and a high ceiling, to know how to bring the HUGE DPM potential and toolkits to bear on the enemy, while knowing how to not get severely punished for it, and where to position to support your friendly's best. And finally after you have mastered all those 3 types and played several nations, and know the strengths and weaknesses of each type, and the specifics of each nation, would I even tell them to try their hand at CV's.

I hope this makes some sense? Or maybe I still sound retarded, I'm not sure lol  :cap_book:

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
4 minutes ago, Aeries1 said:

I know words are hard, but what part of ship to ship surface classes is hard to understand?

Are you implying a CV is not a surface ship, unless your talking about the type of CV you see in the marvel universe

A CV has secondaries, it can shoot a DD 

Edited by CriMiNaL__

[LEGIT]
Members
380 posts
8,657 battles
1 minute ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Are you implying a CV is not a surface ship, unless your talking about the type of CV you see in the marvel universe

Also that IJN submarine CV they were about to release in 1945, that was announced as an upcoming T10 premium CV for next year.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
Just now, The_Grand_One said:

Also that IJN submarine CV they were about to release in 1945, that was announced as an upcoming T10 premium CV for next year.

Yes give me the i400

Members
605 posts
7,221 battles
1 minute ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Are CVs direct fire surface ships..........no.  Are CVs in every single game like the other 3 classes........no.  Is this really that hard to comprehend why I left them out.  At T8+ you are lucky to see 1/10 games with a CV.  Below that maybe 1/4 games, and that is being kind.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles

You cannot put it down to an individual class, as a potato will potato in every class

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
7 minutes ago, Aeries1 said:

Are CVs direct fire surface ships..........no.  Are CVs in every single game like the other 3 classes........no.  Is this really that hard to comprehend why I left them out.  At T8+ you are lucky to see 1/10 games with a CV.  Below that maybe 1/4 games, and that is being kind.

Every game I played today had a CV in it some had 2 per side, can a CV shoot at ships, yes it can if it has secondaries, take the Graff it has 203's for secondaries, so yes CV can direct fire surface ships, and kill them as well.

And like most polls, you forgot to add "Bacon"

Edited by CriMiNaL__
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1