Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Economy Question

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
229 posts
1,088 battles

Just started playing again after a long break and a game today has me puzzled about the economics in this game. Just as this match started my doorbell rang and i had to help a courier offload some junk my wife had bought. I put the boat into reverse then came running back 5minutes later to the game to find my North Carolina safely unharmed but my team was getting killed, like 6 ships sunk for the enemies token loss and we had lost all the caps, the game was almost over but I still attacked at did some moderate damage before the game finished with the inevitable loss. I was surprised to see I spent over 70k despite zero damage and only 2 volleys of shells fired for about 10 or 20k damage. How does this work? My ship had zero damage, low ammo use and although i was absent for half the game I still did some damage. Is this just a fine for losing but surviving the game?

shot-18.05.16_16.32.56-0552.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
135
[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,832 battles

They used to charge amounts different for damage,  but they changed it to a flat fee in a subtle attempt to prevent camping.

Been a while, more than a year i think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
897
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,254 posts
8,649 battles
17 minutes ago, c3shooter said:

They used to charge amounts different for damage,  but they changed it to a flat fee in a subtle attempt to prevent camping.

Been a while, more than a year i think.

 

Yeah, fixed repair cost supposed to "fix" camping meta, but does nothing instead :Smile_sceptic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
449
[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
4 minutes ago, pikohan said:

 

Yeah, fixed repair cost supposed to "fix" camping meta, but does nothing instead :Smile_sceptic:

Well now I don’t have to hide till the end of the battle when I am the last ship alive and have 0% chance of winning. Guess it is a blessing for the enemy team that they don’t have to waste time anymore. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,099
[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,333 posts
6,609 battles
1 hour ago, pikohan said:

Yeah, fixed repair cost supposed to "fix" camping meta, but does nothing instead :Smile_sceptic:

It was common practice for the last surviving ship to attempt and hide until either the Points or the time ran out.

What this Change did was that it makes that behaviour less profitable than attempting to deal damage (even if it's gonna be a loss).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,233
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,423 posts
9,614 battles

Yes.  At non premium T8, you will lose credits for a low performing game.  As stated above, mission is a flat rate whether you are dead or alive.

With gun ships, you pay for the shells and torps.  With CVs, you pay for the lost planes, and not the used ordnance.

There is also the 'Unsportsmanlike Conduct' of inactivity that could get you a pink color.  You avoided that by getting back to the controls at the end.

.....

There are several reasons for running and hiding at the end of a losing battle.

If you are in a ship with Heal, and sustained a lot of fire, flooding, or general damage -- and recovered a couple times..  You must survive to get Dreadnought or other damage flags.

It's something I often forget when I YOLO in to end the battle if I'm the last survivor of a hopeless cause.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
135
[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,832 battles
30 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

It was common practice for the last surviving ship to attempt and hide until either the Points or the time ran out.

What this Change did was that it makes that behaviour less profitable than attempting to deal damage (even if it's gonna be a loss).

Dont get me wrong it does directly attempt to fix this, and contribute to helping other camping behavior, but as exampled by this post, th OP didnt even know that until 1000 battles. I would wager he/she is more observant than countless others. ...

It is another case of a lack of explanation of gameplay, that (in my opinion at least) is one of the biggest flaws currently in the game. I was so happy to see the waterline series start, so that there was some in-game, (in your face) tutorial. Unfortunately it seems to have stalled.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5
[RSF]
Members
43 posts
6,390 battles

You can also click on them tabs and it will tell you what was spent. I believe that it 70k just to take tier 8 out of the dock let alone cost of damage and shells.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,099
[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,333 posts
6,609 battles
2 hours ago, c3shooter said:

Dont get me wrong it does directly attempt to fix this, and contribute to helping other camping behavior, but as exampled by this post, th OP didnt even know that until 1000 battles. I would wager he/she is more observant than countless others. ...

It is another case of a lack of explanation of gameplay, that (in my opinion at least) is one of the biggest flaws currently in the game. I was so happy to see the waterline series start, so that there was some in-game, (in your face) tutorial. Unfortunately it seems to have stalled.

Actually, Wargaming does have an official explanation regarding these costs. And it‘s on a platform that is accessible to anyone who wants to know about it.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy#Operating_Cost

At the moment, WG is attempting to promote the Wiki with the Wiki Spotlight articles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
85
[LEGIT]
Members
380 posts
8,657 battles

I like the flat rate a lot better, it boils down to something much more simple : Don't worry about taking damage, only worry about causing damage. Taking damage is free, causing more damage makes it more profitable. Some people don't seem to understand this, maybe from transferring over from world of tanks I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
185
[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,863 battles
8 minutes ago, The_Grand_One said:

I like the flat rate a lot better, it boils down to something much more simple : Don't worry about taking damage, only worry about causing damage. Taking damage is free, causing more damage makes it more profitable. Some people don't seem to understand this, maybe from transferring over from world of tanks I guess.

Certainly makes the higher tiers more profitable. Yeah being active in battle is a participation reward, everyone can actually enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
110
[BLHK]
Members
363 posts
3,472 battles
27 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

Certainly makes the higher tiers more profitable. Yeah being active in battle is a participation reward, everyone can actually enjoy.

Not really. Little White Mouse did an excellent review of the situation. T5 then T6 then T7 are the most profitable. Tier 8 can be good with a good game. But anything close to average in battle will be lucky to break even

It is a clever idea that WG have come up with. In most games as you go up tiers you never go back. In Warships to have to go back and play the lower tiers to keep your T9 and T10 ships afloat. Which keeps a good player population spread out among the tiers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,233
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,423 posts
9,614 battles

To make ships profitable, I purchase Premium Camo.

This is best done right after purchase, so it can start working/saving right away.

For myself, I ask several questions:

1)  Is it a real ship?

2)  Am I going to use it after it's Elite?  Am I going to keep it?

3)  Is there a better Premium Ship that serves it's purpose?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
135
[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,832 battles
8 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

Actually, Wargaming does have an official explanation regarding these costs. And it‘s on a platform that is accessible to anyone who wants to know about it.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy#Operating_Cost

At the moment, WG is attempting to promote the Wiki with the Wiki Spotlight articles. 

I dont mean to discount the wiki, it is well put together and somewhat in depth.

My point is in the assumption that a player will go looking for certain information. One could assume that repair and ammo costs were a direct link to damage and shooting. Few people are going to challenge that assumption by going to look up the info on the wiki. This is a perfect example of counterintiuitive game mechanics which can instigate (or perpetuate) poor gameplay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,099
[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,333 posts
6,609 battles
10 hours ago, c3shooter said:

I dont mean to discount the wiki, it is well put together and somewhat in depth.

My point is in the assumption that a player will go looking for certain information. One could assume that repair and ammo costs were a direct link to damage and shooting. Few people are going to challenge that assumption by going to look up the info on the wiki. This is a perfect example of counterintiuitive game mechanics which can instigate (or perpetuate) poor gameplay

I agree that WG could do a better Job at making Information like that accessible in the Client itself, even if it's just by creating hotlinks to the Wiki or any other source that explains the matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
185
[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,863 battles
22 hours ago, MG1962 said:

Not really. Little White Mouse did an excellent review of the situation. T5 then T6 then T7 are the most profitable. Tier 8 can be good with a good game. But anything close to average in battle will be lucky to break even

It is a clever idea that WG have come up with. In most games as you go up tiers you never go back. In Warships to have to go back and play the lower tiers to keep your T9 and T10 ships afloat. Which keeps a good player population spread out among the tiers

I don't need to play low tiers too be profitable in high tier ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,759
Members
18,363 posts
5,241 battles
On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 3:44 AM, pikohan said:

 

Yeah, fixed repair cost supposed to "fix" camping meta, but does nothing instead :Smile_sceptic:

I disagree.

It improved the gameplay of those "on the fence", by removing damage taken as a consideration.

IOW, yeah, those that played a consistently passive game didn't change their MO, but those for whom occasional passive play was deemed necessary for economic reasons, got more aggressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×